Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Southern California Route for Beginner-Intermediate Riders?? on: December 18, 2012, 09:40:04 PM
stumbles89

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2012, 09:40:04 PM »

Hi all! I've been contemplating on going on an overnight trip around the San Diego area. While doing research I have failed to find any trails. Just wanted to know if anyone out there has any ideas for me to look into. Preferably just an overnighter, but 2 nights out will be ok as well. It doesn't have to be in the San Diego area, just as long as it is somewhat close (Los Angeles area will be fine as well). It will be my first bikepacking trip, as well as everyone in my group. Please help, I need all I can get.  icon_salut
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 09:47:34 PM by stumbles89 » Logged

Topic Name: Southern California Route for Beginner-Intermediate Riders?? Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 08:36:40 AM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 08:36:40 AM »

Connecting reserves to get out of town and head over to Noble/Cuyamaca would be my advice. The Stagecoach 400 does a lot of bike path. I would think you would avoid that and head to Mission Hills or do something to get you to Mount Woodson, then take some back roads to get that far east.

Geoladders would be a good place to start. Another is http://www.mountainbikebill.com/

Where do you live?

From where I normally stay during vacation: La Costa-Elfin-Hodges-Sea to Summit Trail to Ramona area-up Woodson (~40 miles) would be a great overnighter. I would camp on the top of Woodson and return early the next day.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 08:41:14 AM by Chad B » Logged

Topic Name: Southern California Route for Beginner-Intermediate Riders?? Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 10:27:56 AM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 10:27:56 AM »

One option: http://www.geoladders.com/gps_route_racer.php?route_id=21954

Topic Name: Southern California Route for Beginner-Intermediate Riders?? Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 11:25:32 AM
stumbles89

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 11:25:32 AM »

I live in Chula Vista.

Thanks, I'll definitely check those out!

Topic Name: Southern California Route for Beginner-Intermediate Riders?? Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 02:20:57 PM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 02:20:57 PM »

Check out the Stagecoach, I believe it goes pretty lose to NC/CV.

Topic Name: Southern California Route for Beginner-Intermediate Riders?? Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 06:29:28 PM
stumbles89

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 06:29:28 PM »

I'll most definitely will. Thanks so much!

Topic Name: Southern California Route for Beginner-Intermediate Riders?? Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 10:33:27 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 10:33:27 PM »

Like Chad said there are lots of options to connect various San Diego parks and preserves together for a larger ride, and then camp up top one of the local mountains.  This may not be legal technically, but you will not likely be bothered by anyone except midnight hikers.  Trying to ride from SD to Noble or Cuyamaca could take a couple days in itself (took us 3 days to ride back from Noble).  But it can be done, albeit with some exploring required to pick out a good route.  From Chula Vista you could probably ride out the back door, over to Rock House and then the reservoir, and from there over to Hollenbeck Canyon and then back. 

There are lots of possibilities depending how well you know the trails.  If you havent seen it before, mountainbikebill.com has some good info on trails in SD and beyond.  Not all of it is current but it should be a good place to start.  Some other places that have good bikepacking possibility are Hurkey Creek near Idyllwild, Santa Ana mountains (using Bluejay Campground), and the Noble-Cuyamaca area.  Big Bear area, in spring and fall, is also a good bet.  Let me know if you need help putting a route together, I know a lot of the area pretty well.

Topic Name: Southern California Route for Beginner-Intermediate Riders?? Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 07:18:54 AM
brendanc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 07:18:54 AM »

It's your oyster!
But you might start by having a look at the Stagecoach 400 route from the city heading East, or from Torrey Pines heading East.
From Idyllwild, we of course have plenty of options, either overnight, or two nights.

Mr. Hub Cyclery

Topic Name: Southern California Route for Beginner-Intermediate Riders?? Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 09:20:07 PM
stumbles89

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 09:20:07 PM »

I'll try to put a route together and I'll run it by you guys for your inputs.

And Brendan, once I'm a stronger rider I'll definitely start looking at routes outside of San Diego. If I start looking in the Idyllwild area you are the first one I'm asking!

Thanks again all!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: