Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Rivers and Timber 300: Bend, Oregon on: August 13, 2019, 01:25:27 PM
Cedar Wing

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2019, 01:25:27 PM »

Hello Bikepackers,

Hope everyone is enjoying a stellar season out there! This route incorporates the hard work by the trailblazers of the 3 Sisters / 3 Rivers, Oregon Timber Trail and the original Oregon Three Rivers Routes. The goal is to do a speed attempt in an unsupported ITT fashion from downtown Bend, OR utilizing the first ~180 miles of the 3 Sisters / Rivers route to Oakridge, followed by the remaining ~120-140 miles along the Oregon Timber Trail out of Oakridge back to Bend for a very clean and appealing loop. 

*Route Estimates*: 325 Miles with 29,000' of Vertical Gain - ~60-70% Singletrack

The route creation is essentially complete, though I am not skilled enough to combine GPX files (If anyone wants to lend a hand please let me know!). I have attempted to include a very basic map screenshot with some notes on the route with some optional singletrack sections (possible time bonus to complete in the future?). As the route pass through Sisters and Oakridge, logistics regarding re-supply are relatively straightforward.

If there is interest, I might reach out to Scott Morris to see if we can possibly have a Trackleaders page setup, assuming I can figure out how to combine GPX files with adding the start (Phil's Trailhead to Ben's to Skyliners to Tumalo Creek to North Fork so we can start by climbing next to waterfalls) and finishing with (Tyler's Traverse to Catch and Release to COD to Marvin's Garden / Phil's Trailhead to town). Truthfully, I think if you climb singletrack and descend singletrack from town, the route you choose is fine, as long as its on dirt, ultimately its up to the community.

With recently moving to Bend, expecting the first child in January and missing the CTR Grand Depart this year, I am extremely eager to get out and push myself on a multi-day effort again. The biking community in Bend is truly world-class as is the terrain we get to ride. It would be fantastic to have a similar annual event / grand depart as so many other great bikepacking events throughout the US, with the simplified logistics of a loop.

Labor Day weekend would be an ideal weekend (I believe) to ensure trails are cleared, mosquitos are gone and the finicky fall weather is yet to arrive. Unfortunately I cannot go for an attempt that weekend so I am tentatively planning a start of August 24 or September 19 and targeting a 4 day ride.

Regarding the name of the route, I simply thought it had a nice ring to it. I'd like to pay respect to creators of the previously mentioned routes, trail stewards, volunteers and all those interested in the self-supported ethos of bikepacking races.

Please respond to this email if you have an interest or feedback on this route or any other Central Oregon mountain biking.

-MW

Topic Name: Rivers and Timber 300: Bend, Oregon Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 01:35:49 PM
Cedar Wing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 01:35:49 PM »

Basic Map, Mileage Chart

* Rivers and Timber Map Screenshot.jpg (366.71 KB, 1240x1070 - viewed 322 times.)

* Rivers and Timber Mileage Chart.jpg (197.39 KB, 1670x560 - viewed 317 times.)

Topic Name: Rivers and Timber 300: Bend, Oregon Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 08:44:11 AM
Cedar Wing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 08:44:11 AM »

Bikepackers:
For those interested in the GPX file, please find the attached link below. I will be starting Sept. 19th at around 7 am from the Crows Landing / Drake Park area. Honestly could not be more excited at this point and I am hoping different iterations of this loop catch on (I do have another GPX file going with more ST additions near McKenzie River and Oakridge which is looking...burly). As I only have 4 full days, I've opted for the Brooks Scanlon FSR to Sisters as I have ridden the singletrack option up to the Met/Win numerous times at this point. This option shortens the route by ~20-25 miles and 3,000 ft of elevation gain, bringing the route total to (not including 8 miles RT from town to TH):

275 miles
29,000 elevation gain

This is a very aesthetic loop traversing large swaths of the Deschutes / Willamette National Forests and circumnavigating the 3 Sisters and Waldo Lakes Wilderness Areas. I'll be ridding solo, self-supported and attempting to move through the new terrain as efficiently as possible. The weather forecast is looking fall-ish, highs in the 60s, nighttime lows in the 40s. There will be night riding involved for likely a few hours before sunrise each day, my preference.

Again - shout-out to Gabriel Amadeus and all the others that put in the effort on the 3 Rivers/3 Sisters and Oregon Timber Trail Routes.

* Rivers and Timber Route v2.GPX.zip (182.36 KB - downloaded 116 times.)

Topic Name: Rivers and Timber 300: Bend, Oregon Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 10:46:04 AM
Cedar Wing

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 10:46:04 AM »

All -

Extremely excited to introduce the Cascadian Crossing Route / CCR300 as a future staple in the North American bikepacking race circuit. The route is truly incredible and features some phenomenal trails / resupplies. The race will be featured on Trackleaders and we will be doing a post-ride write up on Bikepacking.com.

Please see the links below and do not hesitate reaching out with any questions. There is a lot of positive feedback swirling around right now and I think we will have a pretty solid turnout for the inaugural year. It is extremely rideable, I believe with the right conditions mid 50 hours is possible.

Come out to play in Central Oregon this year, I personally guarantee you will not be disappointed!

https://thecascadiancrossing300.home.blog/2019/10/30/example-post/

https://bikepacking.com/event/cascadian-crossing-route-2020/
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: