Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: CDT Question on: April 04, 2016, 10:53:08 AM
mtbiker

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2016, 10:53:08 AM »

Hi,
  Been lurking here for a while, and I think i'm finally ready to start planning my 1st real bike packing trip.  I'm trying to decide between CDT and Colorado Trail.   I'm going to Take a week off in August or Sept, my wife will drop me on the north end , and I'll ride as for south as I can for 7 days, then she will come pick me up.

IF I decide to do the CDT, then I'll have her drop me off at the Colorado/Wyoming Boarder and I'll ride south from there..

For the CDT, is it best to just drop the Money on the ACA maps, or are there some other good planning tools out there?  Anyone know what the Mileage is of just the Colorado Section of the CDT?

Thanks!
Mark

Topic Name: CDT Question Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 08:46:37 PM
threepin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 08:46:37 PM »

Since you said its your first trip i am guessing you mean the great divide mountain bike route rather than the CDT. The former is largely dirt roads with some single track and pavement. The latter is a large percentage of single track and passes thru multiple wilderness's. If you mean the gdmbr then yes the maps are a great place to start and give a great overview of the route. If you mean the CDT then you should check out Scott Morris and Ezter's trip of a couple of years ago. That would be a hell of a first trip.

Enjoy what ever you do

Topic Name: CDT Question Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 09:09:48 AM
mtbiker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 09:09:48 AM »

Thanks Threespin.  I did mean to ask about the GDMBR, but thanks for the link to Scott and Ezter's trip for the CDT as well.   I'd prefer as much single track as possible so maybe the CDT is still the way to go... Smiley

Topic Name: CDT Question Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 10:15:15 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 10:15:15 AM »

I would think that the Colorado trail would be more fun.

Topic Name: CDT Question Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 03:32:42 PM
threepin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 03:32:42 PM »

i have limited experience with either but based on what i've read i bet you are right.
In my experience minimizing the weight on the bike (and you) helps greatly with my enjoyment on single track. I don't mind dirt roads when traveling with gear, just seems like its all part of the trip/journey.

If it is your first trip i would consider a route with a few bailouts if you are going to do a long distance trail. That way if progress is slower than planned or things break you have some options.

Topic Name: CDT Question Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 10:43:32 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 10:43:32 AM »

Some good advice from threepin and AZTripper here.  I wouldn't recommend the CDT for a first trip, except maybe a few well traveled sections (such as in Colorado).

Kinda sounds like the CT might be what you're looking for.  Give it a go and yes, try to keep weight minimal.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: CDT Question Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 10:50:50 AM
mtbiker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 10:50:50 AM »

Thanks Scott!

I was reading your page last night actually, and came to pretty much the same conclusion.   Since the GDMBR is documented so well, I'm thinking about it rather than the CDT, but have added the CDT to my bucket list (bike packing and backpacking).

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: