Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Options for Three Day Bikepack in April/May on: January 12, 2020, 08:34:14 AM
alex-henson

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2020, 08:34:14 AM »

Anybody have good info for areas/routes that would be in good shape in April/May 2020? I'm shooting for ~180-240 miles, elevation and technicality dependant, three days. Preferably on the US west coast (I'm in Monterey. CA and want to minimize travel).

Options I was looking at that are appropriate duration but seemingly wrong season:
- Dixie 200
- Coconino

Other things I've been looking into are AZT variants, Southern Sierra.

What suggestions do you all have?

Edit to add: I favor remoteness and single track.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 08:40:59 AM by alex-henson » Logged

Topic Name: Options for Three Day Bikepack in April/May Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 12:07:03 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 12:07:03 PM »

If your talking April early spring is great in southern AS look at the Gila river Ramble.

If later in May nearer the end of May looking at the Kiabab Monster Cross plus the AZT down to the state line.

Tim

Topic Name: Options for Three Day Bikepack in April/May Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 01:33:51 PM
alex-henson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 01:33:51 PM »

Yep I have the ramble and others like Queen's ransom on my list. I was a bit worried it would be too hot there that time of year. For reference, 80deg would be hot for me.

Good call on kaibab! I forget about that one, I'll check it out.

Topic Name: Options for Three Day Bikepack in April/May Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 03:46:32 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 03:46:32 PM »

Early April can be hot or it can snow like the start of the AZT300/750 in 010. The Kiabab will likely still be snowed in. The North rim opens May 15th most of the snow should be gone by then. Bonuses for the Kiabab the Rainbow Rim riding right next to the canyon, and if you time it right the AZT finish line switchbacks as the sun sets is awesome. Then climbing up roads in the cooler evening to sleep in the pines. Bonuses for the Gila the section North of the Gila is almost like riding in the grand canyon, the hot part of the day is pretty short assuming early April and the night time lows should be comfy.

Tim

Topic Name: Options for Three Day Bikepack in April/May Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 09:12:30 AM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 09:12:30 AM »

I did a loop around the North rim over Memorial Day a couple years ago and only saw 1 patch of snow.  I imagine that was a low snow year.  Tons of route options up there.  This took me 4 days but could be shortened up to 3.  Would be a long drive from Norcal though.   http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/bikepacking/tr-bikepacking-the-kaibab-plateau-(pic-heavy)/

Tour de los Padres would be another option that is well established.  Erin has it set to run Apr 3 this year.  Some years they've had snow on Mt Pinos and other years it has been hot.  April should be ok depending on local weather variations.  He has it set up as a loop this year, and there is a shorter tour version as well. I haven't done this event but could be a good route option in April. https://tourdelospadres.weebly.com/

If we don't get a bunch more snow this winter, there should be some good bikepacking options by late May in the south and west side of the Sierras.  I've been to Kernville area on Memorial day in the past when there was no snow up on Kern Plateau.  Tons of options there.  We had a thread going here: http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/routes/kern-plateau-(southern-sierras)/

Further north there is a large area around each of Bass Lake and Shaver Lake that is in the 5-7,000 ft range which may be in play by then.  Not so much singletrack but tons of little used forest roads to explore and lots of great views and nice swimming holes.  Downieville area might be in play by then too.

The other one in Socal is Stagecoach 400 route.  That would be a bit much for 3 days but it could easily be modified to cut off part in the mountains or desert depending how the forecast looks. 

Topic Name: Options for Three Day Bikepack in April/May Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 06:56:39 AM
alex-henson

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 06:56:39 AM »

Hey evdog thanks for all that!

I'll look into North Rim a bit, I'm not familiar with the area. Is that where Kaibab monster Ross route is?

I thought about TDLP but the full tour is more than I can do in 3 days, and the tour route I've done already.

I've been seriously looking at the So Sierra area and had earmarked Erin's Kennedy to Nelson route. Would the area on the plateau ever be open before late May?

I thought about Bass/Shaver also, but have already adventured some there and yep not too much singletrack, though the singletrack that is there is stellar.

Stagecoach is an interesting one. I wouldn't be able to do the whole thing but could shorten it a bit maybe. What time of year does this area come into season?

Topic Name: Options for Three Day Bikepack in April/May Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 08:43:09 AM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 08:43:09 AM »

Correct, N Rim is where the Kaibab Monster Cross is. 

Yeah in a low snow year the Kern Plateau can be mostly free of snow in late May.  You just need to keep an eye on conditions and have an alternate in mind in case things don't work.  Google Sherman peak webcam and check out the Sierra cam network.  Lots of places have them so its fairly easy to get an idea of conditions.  You can also call the USFS in Kernville for conditions.  Snow isn't the only issue.  It also takes a bit of time for downed trees to be cleared.  Usually the moto riders take care of this.

The full Stagecoach route has a fairly short window in Spring and again in fall since it hits low elevation desert areas that get hot starting March through October and higher elevations that can be really cold October through April.  It really comes down to local weather patterns.  Some years riders get roasted even when start date has been moved earlier, some year's they've had rain/cold with a later start.  But parts of the route are available year round.  It would be quite easy to tailor it on pretty short notice to cut off whichever part isn't ideal.   Also consider the Julian Bikepack challenge routes - similar areas, but has separate routes based on desert, mountains, beach.  http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/ultra-racing/julian-bikepack-challenge-11-8-19/

Topic Name: Options for Three Day Bikepack in April/May Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 10:16:01 AM
alex-henson

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 10:16:01 AM »

April/May ride did not happen due to a rough few months. After reorienting myself, I'm looking to late summer early fall, pandemic and childcare permitting.

I've narrowed to these areas:
- Kernville, So. Sierra
- Tahoe to Mammoth, cmac route
- Lost Sierra

I have GPS routes for the first two, but not the third.

Anybody have good info, tracks, etc about long rides in Lost Sierra, Grouse Ridge, D-Ville, Graegle, etc?

Seems like what I'm looking for - remote, rough, lots of single track.

Topic Name: Options for Three Day Bikepack in April/May Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 10:28:42 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 10:28:42 PM »

I know someone who rode part of the Kernville route recently.  A section of Rancheria Road from Badger Gap trail north to Just Outstanding trail is under Forest Service closure order due to danger trees.  So he stuck to the northern part of the route.  That should still meet your criteria for 180-240mi.  I should be able to get his route if you're interested. 

The Lost Sierra has remote and rough in spades.  It seems like there is still lots of fire road to connect the trails together.  But that's an area I'm still exploring.  I rode part of Grouse Ridge a couple years ago.  Very cool area with great singletrack but I don't think I'd call it bikepacking friendly unless you have a setup that allows for use of a dropper post.  It is pretty burly and most climbs will involve some or lots of hike a bike.  That said, it may be one of the better ways to connect from Tahoe area to Downieville.  From Tahoe, join Truckee area trails, cross over to Donner Lake Rim Trail.  Ride Hole in the Ground.  There is a jeep trail on Trailforks called "Don't try this at home" that connects to Grouse Ridge.  I found a youtube video of it, didn't look that terrible as a connector.  From there ride Grouse Ridge trails north and then fire roads to Downieville or Sierra City.   You could probably put a good loop together getting there and then looping back to Tahoe.  Sorry I don't have a gps track, just some observations from the bit of exploring I did. 

Topic Name: Options for Three Day Bikepack in April/May Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 06:26:09 PM
alex-henson

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 06:26:09 PM »

Hey evdog, thanks for the reply! I'd be down to see the track if it's easy, otherwise NBD since I still have Erin's 8-ball and trans routes.

Yep Lost Sierra looks rugged! That's very appealing. I do have dropper-seatbag compatibility on a fairly light trail bike, so I think it'd be a good fit. Either way, based on ride reports from the area I'll need to assume I'm trading cool technical riding for mileage.

Topic Name: Options for Three Day Bikepack in April/May Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 10:27:33 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 10:27:33 PM »

I haven't got a reply yet.  But I think it was just the 8-ball route with the southern portion down to Keyesville cut off. 
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: