Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: North Texas - Chaparral Bike Trail Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 11:58:15 AM
wisaunders

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 11:58:15 AM »

It was still very chili like over Memorial Day.  I'd be shocked if they've done anything else as it looked freshly cleared & grated but not compacted then.  Who knows maybe they've compacted it since then. 

Topic Name: North Texas - Chaparral Bike Trail Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 12:26:18 PM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 12:26:18 PM »

Fine then. Smiley

Topic Name: North Texas - Chaparral Bike Trail Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 12:53:04 PM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 12:53:04 PM »

Another note from the guy that I thought had made it all the way through.
Just another tip you will have to do the last 9 miles on road because it gets so thick you cant get thru, you'll see and remember the hay bails and fences start once you pass pecan gap prolly about 15 fences so pack smart cause that $%^#$ bike gets heavy

Topic Name: North Texas - Chaparral Bike Trail Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 11:18:17 AM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 11:18:17 AM »

Ran across something interesting.  City of Irving has been maintianing an option to purchase access rights to the whole trail for the installation of a raw water line, and paying the money to the Chaparral Rail Trail group.  It would be kind of amazing if they DID install a water line and clear the entire length of the trail.

Resolution -- Approving the Third Option Extension with Chaparral Rails to Trails, Inc., for Approximately 56 Miles of Right-Of-Way
Administrative Comments
1. This item supports Strategic Goal No. 9: Infrastructure Network.
2. Impact: Approval of this option payment will secure Irving's ability to purchase almost 56 miles of right-of-way through July 5, 2013.
3. On April 23, 2009, the City of Irving entered into an option agreement with Chaparral Rails to Trails, Inc. (Chaparral), for the purchase of almost 56 miles of right-of-way. This right-of-way would be used for a raw water line. The surface of the right-of-way would remain available for recreational trail activity.
4. The second option extension was approved on May 19, 2011. The City has until July 5, 2012, to advise Chaparral if the City wishes to extend its option one more year with a payment of $100,000.00.
5. This extension, if approved, is the final year under the terms of the existing option agreement.
6. Funding in the amount of $50,000.00 is available in Water and Sewer System Fund and $50,000.00 in the Water Resources Development Fund.
Recommendation
The resolution be approved.

Topic Name: North Texas - Chaparral Bike Trail Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 12:24:19 PM
kipyoung

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 12:24:19 PM »

That is very interesting.  It would be sweet if they'd put a spigot for water every 5-10 miles along the trail too... 

Kip Young

Topic Name: North Texas - Chaparral Bike Trail Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 12:37:18 PM
wisaunders

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 12:37:18 PM »

They should make a canal.  Then we can do a bikerafting trip

Topic Name: North Texas - Chaparral Bike Trail Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 03:55:24 PM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 03:55:24 PM »

maybe just a big long "lazy river" kind of thing.

Topic Name: North Texas - Chaparral Bike Trail Reply #27 on: June 30, 2012, 05:12:02 PM
cpblue

Cut it with a multi tool

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2012, 05:12:02 PM »

Count me in on a fall trip. 

Topic Name: North Texas - Chaparral Bike Trail Reply #28 on: June 30, 2012, 05:28:37 PM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2012, 05:28:37 PM »

woot!  good to see you here, cpblue.

Topic Name: North Texas - Chaparral Bike Trail Reply #29 on: September 14, 2012, 04:22:04 PM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2012, 04:22:04 PM »

Resurrecting this thread now that the weather is cooler.

I'm thinking about coming up to ride the Chaparral Trail sometime in October.  Prolly drive up to Ladonia on Friday morning, and ride from Ladonia toward Celeste and then back on Friday, spending the night in Ladonia.  On Saturday, I'll ride toward Paris, and see what happens.  Hoping to make it all the way to Paris and back.

Anyway, if that sounds like anything you guys would be up for, let me know.  I have not asked the wife which weekends are okay yet.  Just wanted to see if you'd have any interest.

Topic Name: North Texas - Chaparral Bike Trail Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 04:57:11 PM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 04:57:11 PM »

oh, and the deep gravel between f-ville and celeste is gone.

Topic Name: North Texas - Chaparral Bike Trail Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 06:26:23 PM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 06:26:23 PM »

found my ride report.
I had a good time with the whole adventure. I left here around noon Thursday and headed up toward Greenville. I got some last-minute supplies there, had a delicious meal at Whataburger, and then headed on up toward Ladonia.

I spent the night at the hunter camp in the Caddo Grasslands just west of Ladonia. Being all alone in a quiet place is always an adventure. The camp is nothing fancy, but it has a few things going for it. It's close to Ladonia, which could be a good place to pick up supplies, although I didn't actually go into town. It's easy to find. It's free. It's so dark at night that you can see the milky way. The coyotes sounded great. And, it is very close to the trail. As such, I might use it as my home base for my next ride. On the downside, there's no bathroom or water, and cows moo randomly all night.

My alarm woke me up at 4:30, since I had to meet Lynn down in Farmersville at 6. Wayyy too early. I ate, drank some nasty instant coffee, struck camp, and headed down to Farmersville.

The trailhead in Farmersville was easy to find. There was a restroom and water fountain nearby. The mayor and a fan of the trail, Mark Vincent, were there to greet us and send us on our way. We took off and headed up the paved part of the trail. Jlynnbob is a bad, bad, man, and he rides realllllly fast. On the way out, we met the daily trail crew on their way back in. These guys are retired and they ride the trail every day. I guess during the summer they leave at 5 am? Anyway, there were about 4 of them out there bright and early.

The trail surface was decent. For a while it was paved, and then it turned to fairly hard packed gravel doubletrack. The bridges are a little spooky because you can see down through the ties, but jlynnbob didn't leave me any time for thought. Along the trail, the weeds/grasses were really tall, and lean in toward the trail tread. On a dewy morning we would have gotten thoroughly soaked, but it's been so dry that there was no dew that I noticed. We hammered along (well, I hammered, jlynnbob pedaled easy) and were making good time. We got chased by a couple of sets of dogs. One was pretty persistent. We went fast enough to keep them from getting close, but I would have preferred to hit them with bear spray if I had had some.

We met bergerandfries and bob murdoch in Celeste. The asphalt leading into Celeste really is as dangerous as everyone says, and serves as a good reminder to developers NOT to use asphalt. In Celeste, I realized I had lost the bag I had on my rear rack that had my food and water and spare batteries in it. Giant bummer. On the way back to look for it, a rock kicked up, hit my rear derailer and pushed it into the rear wheel spokes, and the spokes happily wound it up, snapped it off, and locked up my rear tire. Day-ending mechanical. I got a SAG from jtgryk (or whatever Michael's handle is) back to my car. He went out and found my stuff, which had fallen off my rack embarrassingly close to the start of the trip. I ended up with 22 miles ridden.

I loaded my bike into my car and then drove up to Roxton for the meeting. The meeting was really good. Lots of people from different cities along the trail were there. It was encouraging to see how many people were working on their own section of the trail. The lady from the Katy Trail spoke, and it was very cool to see photos and hear stories of their trail. After the meeting I drove home.

I am looking forward to trying again someday soon. Well, not too soon. I'd like for it to be cooler, and for the weeds to die back some. Smiley My idea for my next ride is to head back up to the camp in Ladonia, and ride from there to Celeste and back on the first day so I can cover the section I haven't ridden yet. On the second day, I'd like to go from Ladonia all the way to Paris, and then head back to Ladonia either on the trail or on the back roads.

bergerandfries and jlynnbob were more successful than I was, but I will leave it to them to tell their stories if they choose to.
  Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: