Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Modoc Line Rail Trail on: October 23, 2017, 01:37:08 PM
ezucke2

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2017, 01:37:08 PM »

I'm planning a long weekend bikepacking trip connecting the Bizz Johnson Trail that ends in Susanville, CA with the Modoc Line Rail Trail. I've never been up to that area, but it looks intriguingly remote. Anyone ever experience this trail? I'm wondering mainly about water resupply - it looks like the trail goes by several lakes but I'm not sure if they'd be dry in the late autumn - and also trail conditions, tire recommendations, etc. Thanks!

Topic Name: Modoc Line Rail Trail Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 09:32:35 PM
phillip

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 09:32:35 PM »

The lakes should be ok but you do need to filter.  The trail follows creeks too but everything must be filtered.  There is active grazing in that area.  I'd recommend having a topo map that shows natural springs, since springs will be closer to the trail than most of the lakes.

https://lassenlandandtrailstrust.org/modoc-line-rail-trail/

here's my favorite map site that you can change layers: https://caltopo.com

do you plan to continue into Alturas?  The modoc rail trail ends in Likely where the south fork pit river goes through.  Good fishing there.

It is gravel and dirt so hardtail with good volume tires would work fine.  I've done some of it but not the whole 85 miles.

Topic Name: Modoc Line Rail Trail Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 09:45:55 PM
ezucke2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 09:45:55 PM »

That's really helpful; exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks!

Topic Name: Modoc Line Rail Trail Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 08:39:37 PM
phillip

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 08:39:37 PM »

Was wondering if you ever made this trip?  If so, details please?

Topic Name: Modoc Line Rail Trail Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 08:28:38 PM
dave54

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 08:28:38 PM »

By following forest roads from Alturas to Bly you can connect to Oregon's O&C trail, and ride all the way to Klamath Falls.  There is bus service from K-Falls to Alturas to Susanville on the Sage Stage.  Not real convenient scheduling but is an option.
From the Bizz Trail terminus in Westwood you can ride the not yet completed Collins Pine railroad trail to Chester, and from Chester ride the paved Almanor Trail along the lakeshore to Canyon Dam.  Bus service from Chester to Susanville daily. 
All total about 300 miles of bike route with bus shuttling possible.

Of course, you can ride forest roads around the area for an infinite number of possible routes.  I have a route that circumnavigates Lassen Volcanic NP with forest roads and some bike legal singletrack.  I also penciled out a route from Mt Shasta to Lake Tahoe on forest roads.

Also a combo paddle/backpack/bike pack trip through and around LVNP.

Topic Name: Modoc Line Rail Trail Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 05:38:58 AM
bigsally

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 05:38:58 AM »

Reopening an old thread.

Does anyone have any recent info about completing this route? I'm thinking of trying it out in a month. OF the 85 ish miles, it looks like several sections are just dirt road near 395. Just looking to confirm the whole route is legal, etc.

Dave54.... I'd love to see your route from Shasta to Tahoe.

Topic Name: Modoc Line Rail Trail Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 08:55:39 AM
phillip

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 08:55:39 AM »

The trail is open to bikes.  Here is the website: https://lassenlandandtrailstrust.org/modoc-line-rail-trail

follow the information link.  There are some fairly recent comments but I don't know the current conditions. 

Topic Name: Modoc Line Rail Trail Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 09:13:47 PM
Brandonwit

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 09:13:47 PM »

Can you camp on the trail?

Topic Name: Modoc Line Rail Trail Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 10:31:20 AM
phillip

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 10:31:20 AM »

some portions of it are on BLM land so you can disperse camp those spots.  The segment from Karlo to Ravendale is nearly all BLM.  The rest of it is state lands.  The population in that area nearly only centers around Susanville, Alturas, Likely, and the small towns are very small so no major issues for camping.  Suggest doing some research.

Topic Name: Modoc Line Rail Trail Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 08:43:11 PM
phillip

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 08:43:11 PM »

Update: Modoc Rail trail is now free of railroad ballast rock.  very compacted as it gets use.  Drove my 4Runner on some of it and picked up a railroad spike in my tire.  Changed it but had to forgo driving the rest of it with no spare.  At least I had my cutthroat.

If you like very open range lands, this trail offers plenty.  Geology is fantastic as it is on the edge of the Great Basin.  if you ever go into this area, recommend stopping at the petroglyphs in the Belfast area.  These are very nice.  From Center Road, take Belfast Road northward.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: