Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Maine on: November 18, 2014, 07:39:49 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« on: November 18, 2014, 07:39:49 AM »

Looking to plan a trip in Maine late summer / early fall of 2015.
The timber / logging roads I know cause a stir in the bike community and the legality of riding them is up for debate - but looking for ideas.
Likely going to rendezvous with a friend from up in NB, CA, so Maine is a logical choice for a meeting point halfway.

Some folks have suggested Rangley as a starting point. Looks like some cool terrain.

Dirt roads, Class 4, forest roads, and single track all welcome - although we'd prefer single track and forest roads as much as possible.
We'll be on fat bikes or 29+, just because.

Topic Name: Maine Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 06:14:05 PM
harryonaspot

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 06:14:05 PM »

Look into Maine Huts and Trails.  They are working on a 200 mile trail south of Moosehead Lake. Connecting 12 huts. 4 are complete. It is designed around ski touring, but most should be bikable. Nice area.

Topic Name: Maine Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 07:22:25 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 07:22:25 PM »

Thanks. Have a map of that already. Not very much riding there, and its pretty flat, but might be a stop on the trip.

Topic Name: Maine Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 06:12:36 PM
willapajames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 06:12:36 PM »

Sounds fun. Plenty of interesting, little-traveled terrain in Maine.  I know from traveling the Maine woods on foot, watch out for the log trucks on their haul roads, those boys move!  Monson, the last town on the AT (or first if you're going south) seems like it would be a good starting point.  I was planning on riding the perimeter road at Baxter this summer, but never got around to it.  Certainly scenic, dirt road, open to bikes, and free of log trucks.  Plus, plenty of places to fish and camp.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence

Topic Name: Maine Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 06:06:52 AM
MaineErik

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 06:06:52 AM »

There are two awesome options in Maine, the first more civilized and the latter more wild!

1) Mix the very awesome (approaching KT quality) singletrack network in Carrabassett Valley (CV NEMBA) with the lodging/tenting options available through Maine Huts & Trails.  You could build a 2 day to short 3 day trip easily I think.  I've never overnighted here, only done 1 dayers.
- Pros: superb singletrack and well-maintained trails, uberposh accommodations if you choose to lodge with Huts&trails, or simple tenting, minimum tarmac, vistas of Bigelow Range.
- Cons: you're likely to see other folks, you're riding in somewhat of a confined area and never far from safety/civilization
It's entirely possible that the bikepacking in Carrabassett could be lengthened and made more wild, I'd have to look at a map more closely. 

2) Start in Millinocket - Mix the beautiful dirt Tote Rd in Baxter State Park (maintained but rough) with the old/unmaintained logging network of Katahdin Woods/Water (future NP maybe) with the Int'l AT (the most beautiful and ultra-challenging bike-legal singletrack in the northeast, seriously) and finishing on maintained logging roads leading back to Millinocket.  This is a minimum 3 day trip, 4 days would allow a more relaxing trip and time to explore if desired, probably 120mi total, depends on variations.  I forced this into 2.5 very hard days last time I went.
- Pros: wild! (you will feel as though you are riding where no one has ever ridden before!), once on KWW land (1/2 the loop) you are unlikely to see another human and far from civilization, above tree line singletrack, vistas of Katahdin range, follow Thoreau's route along Penobscot's E Branch.  Free lean-tos available along route so no need to lug shelter.
- Cons: some tarmac riding (between Millinocket, your base, and entrance to Baxter - 10miles total), all of KWW is unmaintained (wild comes at a cost) so expect challenging navigation, the only singletrack is on the IAT (it will treat you with beautiful views and ripping descents, you will pay with extreme hike-a-bike).
I'm partial to this tour, but that's because I like being lost and feeling like a real adventurer!  I'm rather certain that my buddy and I are the only ones to have ever ridden the IAT and from what I know less than a dozen folks have ridden the KWW network.

Either way, I'd love to join you if possible, please let me know!

Topic Name: Maine Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 06:30:32 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 06:30:32 AM »

Thanks for that... I like option 2... option 1 sounds like a good trip too, and I've heard other ideas revolving around the Huts... which sound fun - but I like getting out there.

Any idea on how to start to map this out...? I need to get a Maine gazetteer, and I'll have a look at the online stuff - sat, google, etc.

Topic Name: Maine Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 06:37:36 AM
MaineErik

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 06:37:36 AM »

I think you can see these routes, let me know if not and I will chg permissions:
It's mostly this route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5800262
With just a bit more IAT singletrack that I rode in this one: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6271918
Start / Finish in Millinocket.
That's it, work is done.
Oh, go to the IAT Maine Chapter webpage, there is an excellent map there that you can download/print.  It covers most of the area where getting lost would be a concern.

Topic Name: Maine Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 06:56:24 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 06:56:24 AM »

Wow.
Thanks. Already have maps from KWW / IAT, started there after I read your post.

RWGPS links work just fine.

How is resupply? I see on the KWW / IAT maps there are several outfitter / camp stores listed. Will have to do homework on calories and acquisition there of.

Topic Name: Maine Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 07:20:04 AM
MaineErik

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 07:20:04 AM »

No supply along the route unless you go off track by a bit to the Matagamon Wilderness campgnd/store/deli (near north end of loop, http://www.matagamon.com/).
I've always taken all my food, easy campfire food or no-cook stuff, and purified H2O along the way.  Or fish if you are any good at it, Penobscot River offers famous fishing ops!
Ultra light packing will make the hike-a-bike sections MUCH more enjoyable - I did it on my fully loaded cross bike the first time, it was awful. The last time I was on my fatbike with hardly any supplies and the experience was wonderful!

Topic Name: Maine Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 07:41:20 AM
MaineErik

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 07:41:20 AM »

It may go without saying, the best time of year to do this is as soon as the winter ground dries or in  late-summer into autumn.  Otherwise you're likely to enjoy a deep wood buggy overgrown experience!

Topic Name: Maine Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 08:00:49 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 08:00:49 AM »

I already found that wilderness camp store. Thanks for that though.
Yes, I will be on a bikepacking rig with gear that I keep trying to reduce. Water purification is OK. Backpacking food and no cook will be fine.
I'll have to check in with the other 2-3 guys and let them know. Most of us will be running traditional bikepacking kit...

Late summer / early fall is what we are thinking. I may be tempted to get out late winter / early spring before the ground thaws. Will touch base with you if I do that. Will not be the full route, maybe just some exploring. But that is 6+ hour drive from me...

Thanks again!

Topic Name: Maine Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 03:08:25 PM
willapajames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 03:08:25 PM »

Mike, I've got a Maine Gazetteer you can borrow.  I can definitely attest to the bugs in the Maine woods in early summer.  It's pretty amazing.
I didn't realize you could ride on the IAT, or I'd have suggested that earlier.  Definitely cannot ride on the regular Appalachian Trail! (the IAT extends from where the AT ends at Katahdin up to Cape Gaspe in Quebec)
Sounds like a cool trip. 

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence

Topic Name: Maine Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 03:17:44 PM
Doughboy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 03:17:44 PM »

Intrigued by this idea as Maine is one of those special places.  Is the IAT legal for bike travel?  I only see references to hikers (with no specific exclusions for bikes, however).  Can you ride it all the way to the Gaspe? 

Topic Name: Maine Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 06:03:23 AM
willapajames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 06:03:23 AM »

Sounds like you can ride the IAT, according to MaineErik.  But man, if the IAT is anything like the AT through Maine, how much actual riding you'll be able to do might be limited, at least over the higher terrain.  I swear the folks that built the AT through Maine (Myron Avery was the man!) had never heard of switchbacks, or couldn't be bothered.  Straight up, straight down.
I assume you can't ride in Baxter besides the tote road.  I'll have to check out those links Erik posted earlier. 
I did the AT across Maine in June (continuing on to Georgia), and holy shit, the bugs can seriously drive you crazy.  Even if you get away from their biting at night, the buzzing.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  BangHead

Topic Name: Maine Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 08:35:38 AM
MaineErik

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 08:35:38 AM »

- Baxter does not allow riding on any of the singletrack in the park, ONLY on the Tote/Loop rd.  Some of the singletrack in the park is beautiful, too bad it's off limits.
- Higher elevations on the IAT are, like you say of the Maine AT, not practically built.  They are often a-b as fast as possible, no switchbacks.  So there is lots of hike-a-bike but the descents are pretty rad.  The lower elevations often utilize old logging roads and so the riding is pretty decent, though overgrowth can be an issue.
- The IAT within Katadhin Woods/Water allows cycling on all the old roads including those used by the IAT.  On the singletrack portions of the IAT it's not "sanctioned" nor is it "unsanctioned", so we need to tread lightly for now.  I've been talking to the park's rec managers and am trying to delicately figure it out.  I don't want to open a can of worms!  Talking to the Maine Chapter of the IAT would be the next logical step, to secure the rest of the trail through the state. 
- I have no idea what the terrain is like in Canada's portion of the IAT or what those trail orgs think of cycling on the trail.  It would be an amazing journey, going from Katahdin all the way through the NE provinces of Canada.  Would love to do it.  I think it's safe that no one has ever done it before either!!

Topic Name: Maine Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 11:34:37 AM
Kent F

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 11:34:37 AM »

As one of the guys potentially going on this trip, it would be my first trip of this kind of length and I'm concerned about packing and having too much weight. Wondering MaineErik and/or bmike-vt if this would be doable sans-shelter to save some weight/space. I know someone mentioned lean-to's/huts along the way - wondering if there's enough/they're spaced such that maybe carrying a shelter wouldn't be needed?

-The Rookie

Topic Name: Maine Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 12:03:42 PM
MaineErik

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 12:03:42 PM »

I've never taken shelter on this trip, I camped under the stars on night 1 and in the Lunksoos leanto on Night 2.  Wonderful weather blessed us on both previous trips.  Sleep "under the stars" under a rainstorm would suck.  There are a total of 3 leantos within Kathadin Woods and Water - they can all be seen on their map, on their webpage.  The first night was in Baxter (no easy to get to leantos), which is the only night you will need to pay for a campsite and also need to make reservations.  Or you could ride straight through the park on Day 1 and camp just inside the north border of KWW.  Baxter is beautiful though, so it may not be the coolest thing to do unless saving some coin and skipping the red tape is preferred. 

Topic Name: Maine Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 07:22:08 AM
olapequena

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 07:22:08 AM »

Erik! Hi.

Would love to pick your brain re: KWW. I've been looking through your RWGPS routes and was hoping you would be willing to discuss.

Thanks,

Jason
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: