Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Land Ownership layer in TopoFusion on: September 21, 2009, 03:39:56 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« on: September 21, 2009, 03:39:56 PM »

TopoFusion Pro has a new version, 3.90 that has a "Land Ownership" map layer.  The maps come from a BLM server and gives you all of the following ownership types:

I was pretty excited to find this server, and that it was in the right format to 'drop' it into TF.  It's just a custom WMS server, found in the Window->WMS Custom Server dialog.  If you install TF anew, it'll default to the "1" (one key) preset.  If you've already got TopoFusion you can find it in the usual tileset drop down in the upper right.  Or go into the WMS Custom Server dialog, select Land Ownership and hit the "set as shortcut 1" button to make it show up in the Map menu and also be the '1' shortcut key.

I've already found this layer invaluable in planning rides, both bikepacking and day ridin'.  I don't think it has everything, or is up-to-the-minute accurate, but so far it has matched up well with my own on-the-ground understanding of boundaries, both public and private.  I'd be curious to hear other opinions on it.

Demo version of TopoFusion can be downloaded here:  http://topofusion.com/download.php

(registered users should know where to go, or email me)

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Land Ownership layer in TopoFusion Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 02:56:41 AM
Falstaff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 02:56:41 AM »

I love the concept Scott!  Is that key with the colors for the ownership types available somewhere within TopoFusion?

I've been curious about the boundaries of private land in the Tortolitas here in Tucson so that it the first thing I looked at.  Unfortunately the BLM server appears to be incomplete (or out of date) for that area. (or maybe people have just been too aggressive in their private property signage - wishful thinking I'm sure).

Topic Name: Land Ownership layer in TopoFusion Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 08:36:13 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 08:36:13 AM »

Nope, the key isn't in the program yet.  I just haven't figured out where to put it.

People are often aggressive on the signing part, but I think the BLM server is a little weak on defining county land.  State trust (blue) seems to be good, though.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Land Ownership layer in TopoFusion Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 09:44:15 AM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 09:44:15 AM »

We don't have any BLM land in the east, but I've found that many National Forests have ERSI Shapefiles that include boundry datasets (including public land and public land class, like wilderness), then one's I've found are generally published with dates and seem to be published by particular national forest, so I assume they are pretty accurate.

Topic Name: Land Ownership layer in TopoFusion Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 08:17:52 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 08:17:52 PM »

The server is from the BLM, but check out the legend above -- it includes Forest, National Park, state, etc boundaries.  It is definitely not as useful in the east (I scanned through and mostly saw the occasional National Forest), but it still might come in handy.

Topic Name: Land Ownership layer in TopoFusion Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 10:21:22 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 10:21:22 PM »

Help,
I downloaded new 3.9, works ok except the Land Ownership does not down load, get error messeage--downloading disabled--I am an idiot what should I do ahh..............

Topic Name: Land Ownership layer in TopoFusion Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 07:46:54 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 07:46:54 AM »

Looks like it is giving a "service unavailable" error, probably due to maintenance or some other server issue.  I'll post back again when it's back online.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Topic Name: Land Ownership layer in TopoFusion Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 09:24:07 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 09:24:07 PM »

Well, the server changed on us, of course it was right after releasing a new version and then spouting off about it!   BangHead

Fortunately the fix is easy:

1. Go to Window->WMS Custom Servers.
2. Left click to select the "Land Ownership Layer"
3. Delete everything in the large "Request" Box.
4. Replace with this string:

wmsconnector/com.esri.wms.Esrimap/BLM_MAP_SURFACE_MGT_AGY?VERSION=1.1.1&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&SRS=EPSG:4326&LAYERS=BLM+Lands,US+Forest+Service,FWS,DOD,BOR,BIA,National+Parks,BLM+National+Monuments,BLM+Wilderness+Areas,BLM+National+Conservation+Areas,OTHER,STATE,LOCAL&TRANSPARENT=FALSE&FORMAT=image/jpeg

5. Hit the "Save Changes" button. 
6. Close the WMS Custom Servers dialog.

You're good to go.

Fortunately with this change I think the output has improved a bit.  There seem to be more text labels.

Sorry about the issue!

Topic Name: Land Ownership layer in TopoFusion Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 06:34:16 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 06:34:16 PM »

Just a note - there's no need to do this fix anymore.  Both the old and new strings work.  The fixed the issue on the server.

Topic Name: Land Ownership layer in TopoFusion Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 08:13:01 PM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 08:13:01 PM »

Just a note - there's no need to do this fix anymore.  Both the old and new strings work.  The fixed the issue on the server.

I heard some of the stimulus money went to the server, hence the reason why it is back up again. Go Obama!

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: