Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Kern Plateau (Southern Sierras) Reply #60 on: August 08, 2018, 02:57:57 PM
ec_duz_it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2018, 02:57:57 PM »

You are on the right track for sure.  Try to stay above 7,000' elevation this time of year.  You will hit some sandy trails up on the plateau this time of year, but they will be manageable.   

You can check out my website for waypoints, routes, etc for this area here: https://tourdelospadres.weebly.com/other-bikepacking-routes.html

Where are you coming from?  I would probably either start at either Fish Creek Campground or up at Sherman Pass.  If you start at Sherman Pass, you could use your car as a resupply point, which might be kind of nice.

Topic Name: Kern Plateau (Southern Sierras) Reply #61 on: August 08, 2018, 03:37:49 PM
cmonster_75

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2018, 03:37:49 PM »

I don't know why I didn't consider starting from Sherman Pass, that makes a lot of sense. I had been planning on Kennedy Meadows/ Fish Creek to start but I'm going to strongly consider the pass instead. FYI, someone on another board just pointed out that Sherman Pass Road will be closed east of Fish Creek Camp starting Sept. 10 for construction.

Topic Name: Kern Plateau (Southern Sierras) Reply #62 on: August 08, 2018, 04:11:42 PM
ec_duz_it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2018, 04:11:42 PM »

If you start at Sherman Pass, you could probably do the first loop (down Cannell Trail and up Sherman Pass Road Via Cherry Hill Road) in one day and not even load up your bike too much.  Then come back to your car, resupply, load up your bike, camp on the summit of Sherman Peak (or if you are worried about water, just camp somewhere off the road so you can get water at your car in the morning).  Then summit Sherman Peak and then follow the route below. 

Rattlesnake Creek at mile 125 on this route is pretty reliable water (I have never seen it dry), and you will very likely find water at Fish Creek at mile 162 (the creek is just off route).  You will want to fill up at these locations. 

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18008615

Evdog said Shaffer Trail is a possibility after Sherman Peak too, but I have never done that trail.  Trout Creek Trail is one of the nicer trails for sure. 

Just be patient on the sandy moto trails. They will not be hard packed this time of year.  It is not death sand, but some sections can be annoying. 

Topic Name: Kern Plateau (Southern Sierras) Reply #63 on: August 09, 2018, 12:40:59 AM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2018, 12:40:59 AM »

Starting at Sherman Pass or nearby is a good idea.  Though in terms of concern for water there is Trout Creek just below it which should run year round.  There is also a good stream along Cannell just north of Big Meadow, and if you return on Cherry Hill Rd you'll cross several streams as well.  I haven't ridden anything but Cannell south of Big Meadow but it looks like you could do a fairly sizeable loop down there.  Lots of dirt roads and singletracks.  On the map the trails are mostly marked mostly brushy/unmaintained so they could be of questionable quality.  But I think there are enough options you'd be able to find an alternate.  Elevation looks like over 7,000 so temps should be nice.   Another option that I have ridden is below Sherman Peak, head south on Trout Creek trail and climb the back side of Siretta Pass.  I've done that heading the opposite direction and thought it might ride better N to S.  Siretta is a 2,500ft climb in 4.5 miles that way.  No doubt there would be some HAB, and there are some unrideable stream crossings on lower Trout Creek, but the trees up top are really cool and amazing views from Siretta Pass.  Then you could ride back on Cannell rather than the road.  Durrwood is fun and primitive, but don't climb it. 

Schaeffer Trail is good.  Beach trail going uphill where it heads north kind of sucks (sandy).  I'd probably take the road 21S20 or Little Horse Meadow where you can instead.  I seem to remember Albinita being a lot of work due to moto whoops.  There can be a lot of short steep climbs on these trails some of which you'll HAB.  Riding Jackass Peak trail from south to north is highly worthwhile.  It may be the most fun trail on the whole plateau.  Jackass Creek trail is a fun descent, might be a bit tricky in spots on a loaded bike.  Don't climb it - if you need to head north there, take the adjacent road #21S37 to 20S39.  It's a nice primitive road and good grade. 

At the north end there you have a lot of trails marked as primary route or possible.  I'd pick a more continuous route and keep going.  Monache Meadows is really nice - wide open with good views.  It might be worth riding north into the meadow and doing a loop around over to the Kern River.  Looks like lots of roads and some trails up there too that could make for a good scenic loop.  Then head back.  The Kern up there, Fish Creek and Jackass Creek should have reliable water.  Not sure about Mahogany Creek. 

have fun, it's a cool area that most MTBers seem to ignore amid all the hype for Cannell.

Topic Name: Kern Plateau (Southern Sierras) Reply #64 on: August 10, 2018, 10:07:58 AM
cmonster_75

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2018, 10:07:58 AM »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've got my basic loop down, according to the map it comes in at 95 miles. I'll add on Sirretta, Big Meadow, and some riding up near Monache to get it over 100 miles. What's the bear situation up there? I'd rather not haul my canister if I don't have to.

Topic Name: Kern Plateau (Southern Sierras) Reply #65 on: August 10, 2018, 11:14:12 AM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2018, 11:14:12 AM »

Hopefully Siretta doesn't make you hate me  Wink   But interested to hear what you think if you do ride it.  

I've seen a bear just north of Big Meadow on one of our trips.  I don't think they're a problem though, not enough people around for them to be habituated to food in this area.  The campgrounds don't have bear boxes.  

If you can, maybe just get an odor proof bag like the nylofume bags you get to put food in during fumigation.  If you can't get one of those I wouldn't worry too much.  Maybe camp away from likely wildlife corridors like streams and meadows or camp nearby where there are other people.  

Topic Name: Kern Plateau (Southern Sierras) Reply #66 on: August 10, 2018, 01:32:24 PM
cmonster_75

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2018, 01:32:24 PM »

Hopefully Siretta doesn't make you hate me  Wink   But interested to hear what you think if you do ride it. 

LOL, I was looking at the elevation profile and ascending the peak looks brutal, 4.5 miles averaging 10.5% grade. But it'll be my first day out and after the peak I only have flat or downhill planned so it should be manageable.

Topic Name: Kern Plateau (Southern Sierras) Reply #67 on: August 10, 2018, 01:42:53 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2018, 01:42:53 PM »

Yeah it will be a haul up to the pass, but once up top it will be worth it.  The views and trees up there are worth it.  I'd rather do that than Cannell (most overrated trail in Socal IMO).  Cannell has three climbs north of Big Meadow that suck going in either direction so you just get going then have to hump up another steep hill.   
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 02:02:25 PM by evdog » Logged
  Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: