Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Kenai 250 Route on: January 08, 2018, 08:07:33 AM
Enjoying the View

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2018, 08:07:33 AM »

I have been wanting to travel to Alaska for years.  It just never happened. Then, I recently came across the Kenai 250 route / race and it looks super intriguing. I think I might try to make this happen for a summer trip this summer. I have started to dig through the info that is out there and still need to look at the detail for each trail section. But I would appreciate any feedback any of you might be able to provide on this route. I see that the record is just over a day and a half and that bikepacker.com has 7 days listed for the trip. That’s a big range. I’m thinking 4 days of riding. That does not seem to crazy does it?  It does not appear to have a ton of climbing or HAB. For reference, I have done things like WRIAD solo and Kokopelli Trail with all the add ons in 3 days self-supported.

A few other questions just coming to mind:

-If timing required it are there any sections that one would maybe skip over another?  It looks like there are  loops and out and backs that could b e bypassed if necessary. Just would hate to miss something epic.

-How about bear safety?  Is hanging food an option and typical practice or are bear canisters a must?  I’m in Colorado so I have some experience with this but we are talking about Alaska now. Bear spray for sure.

-I am thinking of renting a car or catching a ride somehow to Hope and then ride to Seward and back. Thus being able to use Seward as a good resupply option and maybe less travel time to start and end of ride.  Does this seem like a logical idea.

I am sure I will have more questions and most of which I will hopefully be able to answer myself. But thank you in advance for any information.  This would be my biggest trip to date. I am excited about what this could look like. 

Brian

Fully Packed Adventure Ministries www.fullypacked.org/fpamdenver

Topic Name: Kenai 250 Route Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 12:28:16 PM
jimbslim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 12:28:16 PM »

The must ride sections are Resurrection Trail, Johnson Trail and Upper Russian Lake trail. Deveils pass is a nice add on wing to the Resurrection Trail but the other trail while less know and not as biking friendly still worthy in their own ways.

Re the Bears: Russian Lakes trail is a bear highway with a long history of bear people encounters with considerably more bear activity while salmon are running. I would avoid or be very wary on that trail in late June and all of July. All other sections, take normal bear country precautions i.e. bear spray, make noise etc. In over 20 trips on these trails (except Russian River) where I've seen much bear scat but never a bear close enough to get concerned about.

The Alaska Railroad offers a option for getting t/f Anchorage-Seward it not exactly fast ~!4hr but a very nice ride and the are willing to take bikes in the baggage cars.

Consider riding to hope if you have some time or ride from Anchorage to Girdwood and then Girdwood to Hope. Both are fun warm up rides mostly paved trail from Anchorage to Girdwood. Nice why should from Girwood to Hope cut off and not much traffic on the Hope cut off.

Some trail info

https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8006867/southcentral-alaska

Topic Name: Kenai 250 Route Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 11:36:35 AM
Enjoying the View

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 11:36:35 AM »

Thanks for the info. I will dig into some of the things you suggested.  I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to make the trip happen.  One.  Trying to find a person to two to join. Two.  It's not a cheap trip but seems like it could be pretty sweet and worth it.  My time frame is mid-July.  Do you think things would be crazy overgrown by then? Sounds like the bears will more likely then as well but that might just be part of the trip. 

Topic Name: Kenai 250 Route Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 01:03:06 PM
jimbslim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 01:03:06 PM »

Yes, going to Alaska is a bit expensive but after your trip you'll be amazed by Alaska the place more than just a destination bike ride.No need to worry about over growth on Resurrection Trail as most of it is above tree line or on well maintained trail. Can easily be ridden in a full day  but make it a bit of adventure a get the Devils Pass or other cabins on the trail and stay out there overnight. Johnson Pass and Russian Lakes trail are more likely to get grown over Primrose and Lost lake not as much. 

If your willing to to look at other biking options I can say there is no better ride than the 90 miles of gravel through Denali National Park from Wonder Lake / Kantishna to the Main entrance. It's all road, not flow single track but its pure Alaska wilderness. Can be done in 2-3 days if your looking for more of that continue on the Denali Highway for 135 miles from Cantrell to Paxson.

Topic Name: Kenai 250 Route Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 09:01:37 PM
Enjoying the View

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 09:01:37 PM »

Thanks for the info. I have read about and would like to do the Denali Hwy someday.  I think for my first trip up there I would ideally like to include singletrack.  Right now I would be looking at Bikepacking the whole Kenai 250 race route over a few days.  We will see what I can put together.

Topic Name: Kenai 250 Route Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 02:32:37 PM
white pass

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 02:32:37 PM »

I've been looking at doing this in the summer as well.

jimbslim, is the singletrack mostly smooth and flowy? I want to bring an AWOL with some meatier mtb tires rather than my mountain bike - do you think it's too rough a ride for drop bars?
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: