Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Start Date on: May 15, 2014, 02:56:09 AM
PeteStaehling

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2014, 02:56:09 AM »

I have been following the snow pack at http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/reports/UpdateReport.html?report=Idaho&format=SNOTEL+Snowpack+Update+Report

I know I asked earlier, but I thought I'd ask again... 

It looks to my uneducated eye like the snow pack is melting pretty well, but I am not clear how the numbers for the various data points equate with conditions on the route.  Any guesses on when the earliest it would be advisable to do the main route this year?  What numbers do I need to see where for the main route to be passable.  Some slogging through snow on foot is OK, but I don't want it to be an extended ordeal.

My tentative plan is to ride the main loop and then go back by car to ride some or maybe all of the singletrack options.  I really hate breathing forest fire smoke so i want to go as early in the season as I can in the hope of avoiding smoke and/or fire detours.  I had to deal with bad smoke on a few of my trips the last couple years and it really puts a bit of a damper on things, something I much prefer to avoid.

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Start Date Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 09:16:09 AM
PhotoJB

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 09:16:09 AM »

What did you figure out for a start date on this route?

I am considering giving it a go, as my TDR hopes have been dashed by work.

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Start Date Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 01:41:49 PM
PeteStaehling

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 01:41:49 PM »

I really am not sure, but I am thinking of going around June 15 or so if the snowpack is melted enough.  If it were to melt fast enough I might even go a little earlier, but I suspect that is unlikely.

I am hoping someone with local knowledge will pipe up at some point and help decide when it is OK wrt snowpack.  I want to go as early as makes sense.  I have a flexible schedule since I am retired and driving out, so I can decide at the last minute.

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Start Date Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 11:43:13 AM
nikodog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 11:43:13 AM »

I asked a similiar question on the ACA forum.
http://forums.adventurecycling.org/index.php?topic=12577.0

Sounds promising.

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Start Date Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 12:02:42 PM
caseygreene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 12:02:42 PM »

Pete, still keep you eye on the data, but I think your looking pretty good on starting around the 15th.

Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Start Date Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 02:18:20 PM
PeteStaehling

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 02:18:20 PM »

Thanks.

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Start Date Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 08:39:57 AM
PeteStaehling

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 08:39:57 AM »

In another thread Casey mentioned the following as being the areas of concern for June snowpack:
- Cape Horn Summit
- Deadwood Summit
- Dollarhide Summit
- Lick Creek Summit
- Galena Summit

I don't see a listing for Cape Horn Summit or Lick Creek Summit, anyone know what conditions are there?  Are one or more of the other data points from http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/reports/UpdateReport.html?report=Idaho&format=SNOTEL+Snowpack+Update+Report a good indicator for these two locations?

Are there other snowpack numbers I should be concerned about?

Today I see the following:
- Deadwood Summit - 18.4"
- Dollarhide Summit - 0.0"
- Galena Summit - 0.0"

If there are not other problems it looks like I will go pretty soon!  I don't mind walking a few miles here and there if it is walk-able, but not ride-able.

Any comments or concerns?

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Start Date Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 09:16:48 AM
caseygreene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 09:16:48 AM »

Cape Horn Summit is a closely watched by the companies running trips down the Middle Fork Salmon as it is their main way to get to the Boundary Creek put-in. Them and the Forest Service would have the best info as to whether it has been traveled this year.

Lick Creek Summit will be clear - for sure - by the 15th. I would again call the local Forest Service folks to see if anyone has been over it yet this year.

Also, I would wait until Deadwood is totally clear and then some. It's not a typical summit - as you can see on the profile - in that it doesn't rise and fall abruptly on ether side. So, if there is snow on the summit you can plan for miles of it on the north side. It also should be clear by the 15th. Again, your best best is to call the Forest Service. You might want to check and make sure that Warm Lake Summit has been plowed this year too. As budgets rise and fall, so does maintenance.

Overall, the snow is coming off really fast.

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Start Date Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 09:50:44 AM
PeteStaehling

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 09:50:44 AM »

Thanks.  That gives me what I need to go on.

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Start Date Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 05:24:31 AM
PeteStaehling

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 05:24:31 AM »

I am headed out on the drive from the East Coast in a minute.  If anyone sees me on the ride say hi.

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Start Date Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 05:58:28 AM
Yagi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 05:58:28 AM »

Have fun!  I'm expectin' a great report... details are good, pictures are better, but video is best!  I've got this on my list of to-do's, as well.

Be safe!

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Start Date Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 12:22:42 PM
harryonaspot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 12:22:42 PM »

Well you beat us by30 days!   Where on the right coast are you from? I am also looking forwards to your thoughts.
Enjoy!
Harry

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Start Date Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 01:25:26 PM
caseygreene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 01:25:26 PM »

Make sure to check addenda & corrections for the route: http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes-and-maps/adventure-cycling-route-network/map-addenda/

Topic Name: Idaho Hot Springs Start Date Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 07:26:24 AM
PeteStaehling

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 07:26:24 AM »

I had to bail when a knee injury flared back up.  I figured there was a 50/50 chance I'd be OK but given the relatively remote nature of the ride having to bail mid trip could be very difficult.

I am still thinking I may try again either later in the Summer or early Fall.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: