Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Flagstaff AZ to Moab Ut on: November 03, 2008, 05:49:57 PM
DeanHill

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2008, 05:49:57 PM »

Here the route I did from Flagstaff to Moab.  The map is partly GPS, mostly quickly drawn in lines and is missing the aztrail section from Flagstaff.  I managed to delete most of the file while in route, a real bummer for sure.  The description of the route is from posts on drunkcyclist.  Around 800 miles in 12 days. One of my best trips so far for sure. 

Map
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=107168422646636349682.0004562709f9edf1bec6e&z=8

Description

http://drunkcyclist.com/2008/08/05/leaving-escalante/

http://drunkcyclist.com/2008/08/21/randy-made-it-to-moab/

Topic Name: Flagstaff AZ to Moab Ut Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 07:24:29 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 07:24:29 PM »

Randy--

Welcome to the site.  Thanks for the links on your trip/route, sounds like a good one.

Questions:

* How did your bike make it across the Grand Canyon?

* About how many miles were paved on the route?

The ferry and all the national park riding sounds really interesting.  Once you got into Utah you took a similar route to what Dave Harris has been planning for Trans Utah (St. George -> Moab).  Though he hasn't figured out the full route. 

That's some amazing stuff up there, and props to you for riding it in the summer.  Hot!

Bummer you lost the GPS file.  I would have loved to check it out.  Can you get a KML or GPX file from that google map?

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Flagstaff AZ to Moab Ut Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 05:07:02 AM
FeloniousDunk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 05:07:02 AM »

Randy,

Nice trip.  Since doing a road trip through that region last summer, I've wanted to return on a bike to explore some of those back "roads".  Beautiful country!

How did you carry 3 gallons of water?  I'd love to see a picture or description of your rig. 

~Shaun

Topic Name: Flagstaff AZ to Moab Ut Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 05:41:14 AM
DeanHill

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 05:41:14 AM »

Scott,

I paid Rim to Rim tours to take my bicycle gear and some food to the north rim.  They were a great company to work with.  I was allowed to store my bicycle in the gear room at bright angel lodge over night, and they picked it up themself from the lodge and drove it around.   This allowed me to hike thought the canyon overnight and meet the shuttle at the north rim lodge the next day.  They were also willing to lock up my bicycle at the north kaibab trailhead,  but i decided it wasnt worth the risk and just hiked though fast to meet them.  They also offered to drop some food or suppies of a jacobs lake, I didnt really have anything to send ahead, but this would be a nice option since there isnt much availible there.

I believe the maps on goggle are stored as Kml and I converted one and but in on my garmin in the past.  So i do believe it is possible. If you cant get the file from the link i can send it to you.

I would say the road sections where less than 1/4 of the total miles.  And where mostly as follows. 

63 milesCannonville-Boulder. This could be greatly reduced by going farther north through devils backbone/poesy lake and the old escalante road. 
35 miles Henry Mountains-Ticaboo/lake powell. 
40 miles Halls Crossing-Natural bridges.

If I went this was again I would try and get around Lake Powell another way.  There wasn't a ton of traffic, but it was all big boats and trailers.  Theres a couple of ways that may be better.

One would be to follow the Hayduke route more from the Henry Mountains and go east on poison springs road then cut south down to Hite cross there and connect to natural bridges on forest roads.

Another option I thought of would be to take Hole in the Rock road from Escalante and hitch a boat ride across lake Powell.  I'm not sure how easy that would be, but i bet you would get some attention being that far out by the lake on your bicycle. 

As Far as carrying 3 gallons of water here is a picture of my bicycle after riding though the paria.

http://picasaweb.google.com/randinihill/UtahBorderToCarbondale#5236362124522982290

Running front pannier gave me lots of room!  There not as full as they look, just sloppy packing which is one of the nice things with that much room.  As always I could have gone lighter, but I'm happy with what i had.  Do to the lack of supply stops I needed to carry 3 days worth of food through a few sections and was still running low.  3 gallons of water was an overkill for sure.  Since the Paria was flowing I didnt even need 1 and I didn't exceed  one gallon at a time for the rest of the trip.  The bottles on my bike total 3 liters.  And I carried two MSR dromedary bags, 4 liter and 10 liter.  I was also packing a 4 person tarp tent so i could have some shade if i needed.  Two hiking poles for crossing the grand canyon and a back pack (empty on bike). 

« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 05:48:15 AM by Randy » Logged

Topic Name: Flagstaff AZ to Moab Ut Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 12:20:45 PM
FeloniousDunk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 12:20:45 PM »

Hey Randy,

Nice rig and pics.  I need to get out there.  Is that Topeaks expandable bottle cage on the down tube?  If so, how do you like it?  I was thinking about some way to mount a larger bottle on the underside of my downtube and thought about that as an option.

Topic Name: Flagstaff AZ to Moab Ut Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 12:15:29 PM
YuriB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 12:15:29 PM »

Hey Randy,

Do you have contact info for Rim to Rim? I tried trans-canyon shuttle and they gave me the Heisman on storing bikes on the south rim (as did Bright Angel Lodge).

Thx,
Yuri

Topic Name: Flagstaff AZ to Moab Ut Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 04:15:42 PM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 04:15:42 PM »

Here the route I did from Flagstaff to Moab.  The map is partly GPS, mostly quickly drawn in lines and is missing the aztrail section from Flagstaff. 

Wow.  I just stumbled across this.  What a great ride!  That section in the Paria is most interesting.  It's far south of the Trans Utah route but I had considered Big Water to Escalante via the Kaiparowits.  Paria would be a lot more interesting I think Wink

Endomorph front tire!  Very cool, and good call in the sandy areas.

Super write up, thanks for sharing.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: