Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Coast to Coast American Discover Trail - Anyone ridden part(s) or all.... on: October 16, 2008, 02:20:41 PM
BikePacker

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2008, 02:20:41 PM »

I am developing (slowly) enough data on this route to start riding more sections (have completed some links in mid-USA, so far)... the route is completely in place, http://www.discoverytrail.org/ , tho not consistently well documented ..... a great deal of it is off pavement.  Thanks in advance for any advice and insights.

Topic Name: Coast to Coast American Discover Trail - Anyone ridden part(s) or all.... Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 08:25:25 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 08:25:25 AM »

I was very intrigued to read about this trail.  Especially that they are calling it a non-motorized trail (as opposed to many other long trails, which are thought of primarily as hiking trails).

My first question was: is the whole thing open to bikes?

The answer:

About 850 miles of the ADT are not open to bicycles because the trail is too rough, rocky, and/or steep for bikes to be practical or the local trail management policy excludes bicycle use (such as in wilderness areas). You can do the entire ADT by bicycle by using bicycle detours which are shown in some of the trail descriptions for each state or which can be obtained by consulting the state coordinator. Although a road bike may suffice in most of the Midwest, a mountain bike is required for other parts of the ADT. Many trail sections that are passable on a day ride are too difficult on a bicycle laden with camping gear.

Too rough, rocky or steep!  We'll see about that.

But, wilderness is always a sticky point for bikepackers.  It sounds like some detours have been worked out, and others, perhaps not.  Probably not as much of an issue as on most long distance trails.

Please keep us informed on what you learn on your explorations.  Would you be interested in being the "owner" (author) of an American Discovery Trail here on bikepacking.net?

Thanks.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Coast to Coast American Discover Trail - Anyone ridden part(s) or all.... Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 07:23:52 AM
DaveC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 07:23:52 AM »

The ADT ran right through Hueston Woods State Park, north of my hometown (Oxford, OH).  I used to ride the ADT singletrack on my Trek 520 back in middle school.  Then more people started riding bikes, they built some bike-specific trails, and closed the rest to bikes.   Angry

Topic Name: Coast to Coast American Discover Trail - Anyone ridden part(s) or all.... Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 07:05:18 PM
Mezagog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 07:05:18 PM »

Well in regards to the new updated site, the entire trail is open to bicycles, hikers and they are currently working on the equestrian option, have several phone calls into several of the managing offices of bits and peices as well as the ADT society itself.  Just starting the research phase of this project now, and really looking forward to it.

I'm not real bright, but I can lift heavy things

Topic Name: Coast to Coast American Discover Trail - Anyone ridden part(s) or all.... Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 06:44:24 AM
BikePacker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 06:44:24 AM »

Just starting the research phase of this project now, and really looking forward to it.
Thanks in advance for the work you are doing on this.  I may be able to help with data on some of the sections (some I have ridden/some I have only studied, tho 'studied' extensively):
1.  C & O Tow Path  (DC westward to beyond Cumberland, MD).
2.  From "1.," above, across WVa, westward, to Ohio (some of this is the Northbend Rail to Trail; some is thru the Monongehela Forest).
3.  Katy Trail/Lewis & Clark Trail (St. Louis westward to Kansas).
Fred/Atlanta.

Topic Name: Coast to Coast American Discover Trail - Anyone ridden part(s) or all.... Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 06:57:08 AM
Mezagog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 06:57:08 AM »

Thank you for the offer I really appreciate it.  Ultimately I need to break down and buy the official ADT Map's sit down and figure out what cities and towns I will be close to and then figure out what ammenities are there.  My goal is to complete the trip in 45 days, although I would be satisfied to complete it in 60.

I'm not real bright, but I can lift heavy things

Topic Name: Coast to Coast American Discover Trail - Anyone ridden part(s) or all.... Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 08:35:33 AM
sean salach

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 08:35:33 AM »

i've ridden the katy trail end to end in the middle of a long tour before as well, so could provide some info for anyone interested.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: