Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: CO Trail - Collegiate West Route: Taking your bike for a walk through wilderness on: January 01, 2016, 09:26:19 PM
uber_franz

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2016, 09:26:19 PM »

Has anybody asked the USFS whether their interpretation of the wilderness act would allow pushing a bike with pedals removed through a wilderness area?  Specifically, I'm thinking about the new Collegiate West portion of the Colorado Trail.  This alternate runs about 83 miles, only 5 of which is through the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness.  I'd hate to carry my bike for 5 miles, but pushing doesn't seem so bad...

I know that some areas even consider a wheeled cart used for hauling out big game as 'mechanized transport'...  With that interpretation, if you have any gear on your bike still, it would fall under the same interpretation and not be allowed.  Planning to call and talk to a ranger, but thought I would ask here first.

Cheers! occasion14

Jeremy

Topic Name: CO Trail - Collegiate West Route: Taking your bike for a walk through wilderness Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 12:02:14 AM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 12:02:14 AM »

Nope, bikes are NOT allowed in Wilderness, no matter if you're pushing it, or carrying it. It's interpreted as, "possession".

Topic Name: CO Trail - Collegiate West Route: Taking your bike for a walk through wilderness Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 12:29:27 AM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 12:29:27 AM »

I'm also a little unclear - do you think there's only 5 miles that are in Wilderness, and thus, cannot be biked? That's not exactly true:

http://www.coloradotrail.org/collegiate-west.html
Cyclists have been asking about the Collegiate West and which portions they're allowed to bike. The non-wilderness section of the Collegiate West route that is not open to cyclists is between Cottonwood Pass and Tin Cup Pass.

Cottonwood Pass to Tin Cup Pass is 16 miles, itself. There's not going to be a realistic detour to the W of all that, as you'll hit more Wilderness. I'd also double check with the segment from Twin Lakes to Sheep Gulch. I swear I've seen signs that say you can't take that on a bike. It would be difficult terrain to ride both up and down.

If you're looking for a good loop in the area, with a similar feeling, consider the Vapor Trail course, which is 125 miles are so; much of it on the CT, and awesome trails nearby,

http://www.vaportrail125.com/vaporRoute.php

Topic Name: CO Trail - Collegiate West Route: Taking your bike for a walk through wilderness Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 07:09:51 AM
uber_franz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 07:09:51 AM »

Hmmm...  They must have some additional restrictions on the trail portions outside of the wilderness then...  That's a bummer. sad3

Thanks for the beta!

Jeremy

Topic Name: CO Trail - Collegiate West Route: Taking your bike for a walk through wilderness Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 10:03:17 AM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 10:03:17 AM »

Oh - yeah. Just because a trail is outside Wilderness, doesn't automatically make it a free for all - that would be a little more like BLM land. I want to say regulation is per-trail, set by whatever National Forest you're in. Usually, the restrictions are shown at the trail head. Tons of trails in this area are open for MTB Wink No shortage in that part of the world.

Topic Name: CO Trail - Collegiate West Route: Taking your bike for a walk through wilderness Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 08:55:15 PM
uber_franz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 08:55:15 PM »

Roger that.  Just hoping to find a better route than heading out to hwy 285.  I guess the bright side is that 285 has nice wide shoulders!

Cheers! occasion14

Jer

Topic Name: CO Trail - Collegiate West Route: Taking your bike for a walk through wilderness Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 09:52:21 PM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 09:52:21 PM »

Oh, Ill be happy to help with that, where are you hoping to start/finish?

Topic Name: CO Trail - Collegiate West Route: Taking your bike for a walk through wilderness Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 07:49:07 AM
uber_franz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 07:49:07 AM »

Awesome!  Was planning to do the whole trail...  Looks like one could just head up Cottonwood Pass, then over Pearl Pass, then Independence Pass.  Or possibly detour through Basalt then over Hagerman Pass...  Any thoughts on linking up to Hagerman without the Basalt detour?

Topic Name: CO Trail - Collegiate West Route: Taking your bike for a walk through wilderness Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 02:43:38 PM
NT

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 02:43:38 PM »

Here's a route to connect to Hagerman from Aspen:
Smuggler Road, Iowa Shaft, Hummingbird Traverse, Hunter Creek Overlook, Hobbit, Tinpot trail to Lenado, up the Larkspur Mtn Rd, then take the Miller trail or Rocky Fork (both a little cryptic) to the Fryingpan drainage, then Hagerman pass. All those trails except the last two are on mtbproject.com

Topic Name: CO Trail - Collegiate West Route: Taking your bike for a walk through wilderness Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 06:54:30 PM
uber_franz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 06:54:30 PM »

Awesome.  Thanks NT!  Looks like Rocky Fork is Trail 1931 and connects just downstream of Ruedi Reservoir, correct?  And I'm guessing that Miller Trail is Trail 1930 and connects just upstream of Ruedi?

Thanks again!  Threading the needle between wilderness areas!  Quite a detour to avoid Independence Pass...  Maybe I'll just use the standard Collegiate Peaks detour and pop out to 285...  C'est la Vie...

Topic Name: CO Trail - Collegiate West Route: Taking your bike for a walk through wilderness Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 08:47:01 AM
NT

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 08:47:01 AM »

Yep, those are the ones.
You could also go over Indy Pass but turn off onto Lincoln Creek, then near the head of the valley you could carry your bike on a scree scramble over to South Fork Lake Creek. That avoids quite a bit of highway but I've never done it. Could be heinous.
Yeah, this area is pretty locked in by wilderness.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: