Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Camp Reservations along Kokopelli Trail? on: October 31, 2008, 02:08:44 PM
Twenty-niner

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2008, 02:08:44 PM »

We're going to run Kokopelli's in March and I am wondering if anyone here has details about the camp reservations I've heard people mention. 

Who takes the reservations?  A number of different organizations, or a single org?

How far in advance do you have to make reservations, generally?  Hope we aren't too late for March. 

Any other beta would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

Greg

Topic Name: Camp Reservations along Kokopelli Trail? Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 08:13:21 AM
frejwilk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 08:13:21 AM »

You don't need to make reservations for campsites along the Kokopelli Trail. You do need to camp in designated sites much of the way, but they are well marked on maps and the ground.

Are you planning to ride the whole trail in March? Higher parts of the trail near Moab won't likely be rideable then.

Have fun on your trip,

FW

Topic Name: Camp Reservations along Kokopelli Trail? Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 02:18:47 PM
Twenty-niner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 02:18:47 PM »

Thanks- a friend was saying we'd need reservations.  If March is considered early for the Kokopelli, then maybe crowded campgrounds are the last thing we should be worrying about. 

As for the snow near Moab, how bad might it be?  We have come to expect a good amount of hike-a-biking on our UL trips.  If there's going to be a foot of snow or something, that sounds rather unpleasant, but if it's must a matter of a few inches here and there and the associated runoff from the melt and some mud... we're fine with that.

We have a narrow window to run the Kokopelli since there is a big local race in Prescott in mid-April and we're hoping to put on a small grassroots single speed race the last week of March, otherwise we'd push the KT trip back a few weeks. 

Thanks for your help.

Greg

Topic Name: Camp Reservations along Kokopelli Trail? Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 09:05:00 PM
frejwilk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »

Greg,

Honestly, March (especially early March) probably isn't worth planning for a full Kokopelli. There will very likely be heavy snow present in the North Beaver Mesa / Fisher Mesa area that time of year. Probably enough snow above the Cottonwood Canyon area to be unrideable (and unpushable) too.

You might still look into Loma to Dewey at that time of year. There could be options taking you north around Arches NP to Moab (from Dewey bridge) for a ~ 200mi 'desert' tour instead. And I'm stressing the 'might' and 'could' part of those statements. As long as you're comfortable with being out there. Considering you're planning Kokopelli in March, that's probably not a stretch.

I'm more than happy to trade info on desert routes around Moab for info on spring SS events in AZ...

FW

Topic Name: Camp Reservations along Kokopelli Trail? Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 07:21:07 AM
Twenty-niner

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 07:21:07 AM »

That's very helpful-  thanks a bunch.  We'll reconsider our options and probably push the ride back 3-4 weeks.  Or, more likely, find another trip to do and hit KT in Autumn '09 instead.  I'll definitely be hitting you up.

Prescott is hurting for mtn bike events.  The Epic Whiskey is a lot of fun but it needs a good injection of some grassroots, punk rock, non-HR monitor, PBR vibes to really satisfy the appetite of the people I ride with.  We love the Whiskey, but need something else. 

Singlespeed-focused (but not exclusive probably) races are being planned for Spring and Fall in Prescott.  A non-profit, pro-anarchy kinda deal.   Grin

I'll keep you posted... would love to have you come for the inaugural Prescott Cat O' Nines in the Pines! 

Greg

Topic Name: Camp Reservations along Kokopelli Trail? Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 06:48:36 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 06:48:36 AM »

Prescott is hurting for mtn bike events.  The Epic Whiskey is a lot of fun but it needs a good injection of some grassroots, punk rock, non-HR monitor, PBR vibes to really satisfy the appetite of the people I ride with.  We love the Whiskey, but need something else. 

Cheesy

Singlespeed-focused (but not exclusive probably) races are being planned for Spring and Fall in Prescott.  A non-profit, pro-anarchy kinda deal.   Grin

Cool.  Please keep us posted on that.  So are they going to be free / self-supported a la the AES series?  My vote is for non-SS exclusive, cuz I ain't got no SS.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Camp Reservations along Kokopelli Trail? Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 08:41:37 AM
Twenty-niner

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 08:41:37 AM »

Sorry to steer this thread so far OT...

These races will likely be very small, underground (though open to all who want to come), and very short (90 minutes).  Unsanctioned (but insured).  Maybe a $25 entry to cover costs (probably t-shirts and insurance, FS permit, if we can get one). 

We may tweak this concept (or completely revamp it) after the first race, but for now we're thinking of something to capture the vibe of bicycle culture... something that frankly is missing in this town.  I moved out West from Bloomington, Indiana (by way of Alaska)... B'ton is an insane cycling town, like a mini-Portland.  I'd love to foster that same sort of bicycle-oriented community in Prescott, so we'll see what we can whip up.  It will include a party.

Good excuse for people to visit Prescott and do their Whiskey pre-ride, too.

We'll definitely make room for people with gears!  Would love to have ya, Scott.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: