Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Bikepacking Western Ontario? on: January 03, 2019, 10:11:25 AM
mason240

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2019, 10:11:25 AM »

Has anyone here ever been on an off-pavement bikepacking trip to western Ontario?

I live in Minnesota and I'm daydreaming at work, wondering about the viability of a route in the vast wilderness to the north. I don't want to be sharing narrow highways with semis, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot else for roads.

If it's possible to do a trip up there I probably would as a preparation for doing the Tour Divide. I haven't been able to find anything about bikepacking the region.

Any suggestions?

Topic Name: Bikepacking Western Ontario? Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 12:25:16 PM
Oylerz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 12:25:16 PM »

I have been looking at a route from Wawa to Sudbury on old and current logging/mining roads. It's not easy to plan - I've been using Komoot, but ridewithgps would works also. I just trace the route while on aerial view - it picks up some of the roads, but not all of them. I haven't looked at anything out near Thunder Bay, but there is a pretty good network of logging roads all over Northern Ontario.

Part of the route I have been dreaming up between Wawa and Sudbury includes the Sultan Road (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultan_Industrial_Road). Might be a bit sketchy with some of the monster logging trucks up there, but interesting. Smiley Still not sure this is going to happen, but I'm keen to try it.

Topic Name: Bikepacking Western Ontario? Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 01:55:26 PM
mkadey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 01:55:26 PM »

Maybe this route in Ontario would interest you: www.bt700.ca

Topic Name: Bikepacking Western Ontario? Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 04:44:06 AM
fotooutdoors

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 04:44:06 AM »

Not as wild or remote as Ontario can be, but there are some options for primarily doubletrack routes in Superior (Minnesota) and Chequamegon (Wisconsin) national forests. I'm on my phone, but can dig up some route ideas if desired when I sit at my computer. I did 5 days between Bayfield and Hayward (and back) Wisconsin last year, and a couple overnighters in the Tofte Minnesota area the year before.

I would be interested in what you dig up in Ontario, though at a certain point, it isn't that much further for me to drive to Colorado, since I am in southern Wisconsin.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: