Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Beginning of the final prep for the AZT on: February 22, 2017, 12:16:04 PM
bong crosby

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2017, 12:16:04 PM »

I have a flexible schedule and will depart some time in mid March and will spend time in Phoenix and surrounding area getting back in riding shape after a winter of drink and surf in the Baja.  I hope to be on the trail by late March or early April. I've done some reading on what to expect on the trail:  I downloaded the .GPX file and loaded it in my GPS.  I have a less than zero desire to carry my bike through the Canyon so I put together a convoluted logistical plan of:  drive my car with bike to South Rim and park it, ride my bike to Flagstaff, rent a car for one-way trip to Tucson, ride the AZT to South Rim, ditch the bike for boots and backpack and enjoy a walk through the Canyon, take shuttle back to South Rim, drive my car back to North Rim, loop ride to end of AZT and then back to North Rim.

Here are some questions I still have:

Is six liters of water carrying capability the agreed upon standard?

Is there a waypoint (latt/long) list of water sources available?

Anyone use the Arizona Trail app?  Useful?

I'm taking my Trek Stache 7 with Chupacabra 29x3 setup tubeless.  Spare tubes, sidewall repair kit, and Stan's will be carried.

Any other words of wisdom appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 09:29:47 PM by bong crosby » Logged

Topic Name: Beginning of the final prep for the AZT Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 07:19:37 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 07:19:37 PM »

6 liters should be plenty, not that you need that much all of the time. Not sure if anyone has made a way point list but the app should be able to help with figuring out how far to the next source. The key will be figuring out where the course is different than the hiking route on the app.

Sounds like a good strategy for the canyon.

Tim

Topic Name: Beginning of the final prep for the AZT Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 09:21:46 PM
bong crosby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 09:21:46 PM »

6 liters should be plenty, not that you need that much all of the time.

The key will be figuring out where the course is different than the hiking route on the app.

Yeah, 6 liters will be my max carry but not my daily load.

This is the route I intend to ride.  Got it off of bikepacking.com  It appears to keep me out of the areas where bikes are not allowed.

* AZT Bikepacking Route.gpx (927.21 KB - downloaded 166 times.)

Topic Name: Beginning of the final prep for the AZT Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 04:38:16 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 04:38:16 AM »

That's last years course, taking a power line in Oracle state park where there is now new single track leading to some older single track but better then the power line.

Also they have added a few miles on the southeast side of PHX. As well as a couple of reroutes on the Highline trail.

Check out ScottM's post on page 4 http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/ultra-racing/azt-750300-2017-planning-thread/60/

Also you must be planning a relaxed pace, as you realize the North rim shuttle won't start until May 15.

Tim

Topic Name: Beginning of the final prep for the AZT Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 08:14:50 AM
bong crosby

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 08:14:50 AM »

That's last years course, taking a power line in Oracle state park where there is now new single track leading to some older single track but better then the power line.

Also they have added a few miles on the southeast side of PHX. As well as a couple of reroutes on the Highline trail.

Check out ScottM's post on page 4 http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/ultra-racing/azt-750300-2017-planning-thread/60/

Also you must be planning a relaxed pace, as you realize the North rim shuttle won't start until May 15.

Tim

I was aware of the Highline trail changes but not the Oracle changes.

MAY 15!?   F***!  I did not know that.  That's good to know.  I am planning a relaxed pace but that's even a little too relaxed for me.

Hmmm....what to do?  Huh, now that I look, the North Rim doesn't even open until May 15.  Is there still snow up there that late in the season?

Thanks for the info.

Topic Name: Beginning of the final prep for the AZT Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 09:37:29 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 09:37:29 AM »

Yes there can be. You could just do a short hike from the south rim then drive to Jacob lake area and ride out the highway and back on the trail. There is a way to get back up to Jacob lake from the state line using forest roads.

Topic Name: Beginning of the final prep for the AZT Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 03:57:34 AM
davew

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 03:57:34 AM »

There seems to be a reroute in Flagstaff too. It no longer goes past Frys but cuts straight across the I40 and up Pondarosa Parkway.

Hmmm....what to do?  Huh, now that I look, the North Rim doesn't even open until May 15.  Is there still snow up there that late in the season?

The information Ive heard (the caveat here is that this is second hand news and I'm on the other side of the planet in the sun right now) is that due to the amount of snow at the moment a meeting with ADOT is taking place to see if and when clearing is needed. I believe this has been penciled in for near the end of March. Clearing both lanes will take about a week. This wordy preface was to lead into that the above average snow will mean there will be snow on the trial. This just an assumption. Best download the snow detour gpx also as a back up though its just the road from the North Rim to Jacobs Lake.

Topic Name: Beginning of the final prep for the AZT Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 05:26:42 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 05:26:42 AM »

Yep the newest track has the resupply in Flag off course.

A good snow year so yes there will likely be lots on the north rim. And above Flag as well. Jacob Lake north to the state line has always been clear by race time mid April.

The best time to ride the Kaibab is mid May to early June. The best time to be in the southern desert is in April. One way to deal with the major difference in elevation from the north end to the south end. Do the south half Mexico to Pine in the spring and the north end Utah south in the fall. That way you get the spring flowers and the fall foliage.

Hmmm....what to do? Drive to Flag and take a look around maybe drop your rig in Flag.

Tim

Topic Name: Beginning of the final prep for the AZT Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 08:10:08 PM
bong crosby

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 08:10:08 PM »

You could just do a short hike from the south rim then drive to Jacob lake area and ride out the highway and back on the trail. There is a way to get back up to Jacob lake from the state line using forest roads.

I like that idea.

Hmmm....what to do? Drive to Flag and take a look around maybe drop your rig in Flag.

Another good idea.

I'm getting the idea that flexibility may be the key for this ride.

One other question, I've read the horror stories of Oracle and Mt Lemmon.  I don't mind going through the pain for something in return like a great camp, view, or singletrack, or beers but I'm not into pain for the sake of it.  What other parts of the AZT are notorious or infamous with little in return?

Topic Name: Beginning of the final prep for the AZT Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 08:10:48 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 08:10:48 PM »

Yes flexibility, usually you will get a reward for your suffering. Right off the bat the Canelo's have a fair bit of Hike a Bike but every climb should have an equal down hill reward.

As for the Lemmon the climb is on pavement and is worth it I think just for the cactus to pines experience. Oracle Ridge is a bit of a bitch as you will possibly do a lot of walking to get down. How much will be rider dependent. The first couple of miles to Dan saddle isn't too bad but the next two are the worst. You can bail out at Dan saddle, the miners wish they could close the road but they don't own it so you can get down to the control road. The whole thing starts just down the control road so you can check it out and then make the call. Up the highway and down the control road would be the lite touring version.

A lot of racers say that Payson to Pine is a bitch, and the Highline, even with reroutes is a bunch of work no doubt, super scenic but a lot traversing and up and down. This whole segment can easily be bypassed with a forest road just north of Payson out to Washington Park where the AZT leaves the Highline to gain the Mogollon rim.

Topic Name: Beginning of the final prep for the AZT Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 08:48:27 PM
Truckon09

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 08:48:27 PM »

Take a hike down South Kaibab and up Bright Angle, its about 18.6 miles and took me 6 hours.

@3ccc68

Topic Name: Beginning of the final prep for the AZT Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 05:22:01 PM
bong crosby

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 05:22:01 PM »

Take a hike down South Kaibab and up Bright Angle, its about 18.6 miles and took me 6 hours.

Yeah, that's the plan.  I think I'll break it up and make it an overnighter.  I've been to Phantom four times on raft trips but have never stayed there.

Topic Name: Beginning of the final prep for the AZT Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 07:22:38 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 07:22:38 PM »

Steak dinner is worth the price beers included.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: