Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Any WNC routes? on: September 15, 2008, 08:16:26 AM
FeloniousDunk

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2008, 08:16:26 AM »

Hey all,

I'm looking forward to being part of this forum.

Any long WNC routes laid out?  I'd like to link up something in the 150+ mile range with out looping all over the Davidson River/Turkey Pen area.  How feasible is linking up some Wilson's Creek/Buncombe Horse Ridge/Heart Break/?/Bent Creek/North Mills/South Mills/Davidson/??? utilizing a lot of the BRP to get from single track to single track? 

I've looked at a lot of the maps but any convoluted route I've seen is just that...convoluted.  I need to get some mapping software to start laying something out.

~Shaun

Topic Name: Any WNC routes? Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 09:42:32 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 09:42:32 AM »

Welcome.

I'm happy to help with new route development.

I'm a big fan of GPS data, so I'd recommend doing day rides to recon the route (or, heck, overnighters if you're up for it) with a GPS.  Once you've got some pieces together in the software it's easier to start looking at connections and ideas will form...

Let me know if you need some help with the software aspects of it...

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Any WNC routes? Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 10:13:52 AM
FeloniousDunk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 10:13:52 AM »

The software experience is where I'm really lacking.  I have a lower end gps, plenty of trails, lots of maps, I even us ArcMap 9.2 a lot, but no gps tracking experience nor uploading tracks to a trail capable mapping program.  I probably just need to get some software and start figuring it out. 

Topic Name: Any WNC routes? Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 11:19:19 AM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 11:19:19 AM »

Let me know if you figure something out.  I've been wanting to go out there for a nice 3 or 4 day trip.  I think Mike Brown said he had some ideas.  I think he lives in Ashville and posts on MTBR.

Topic Name: Any WNC routes? Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 11:34:35 AM
FeloniousDunk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 11:34:35 AM »

I know Mike well.  We've talked about it a bit, but both of us are pretty busy it seems and won't have time to start hitting some over nighters until this Fallish.  I'll keep you posted.

Topic Name: Any WNC routes? Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 01:25:55 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 01:25:55 PM »

The software experience is where I'm really lacking.  I have a lower end gps, plenty of trails, lots of maps, I even us ArcMap 9.2 a lot, but no gps tracking experience nor uploading tracks to a trail capable mapping program.  I probably just need to get some software and start figuring it out. 

Lower end GPS is likely fine.  Doesn't need to do much but have a bit of storage to record the track.

I use my own software (TopoFusion), and would encourage you to give it a try.  It's designed for this kinda thang.  Smiley  Let me know what GPS you have and I can give you a few quick tips, if you want.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Any WNC routes? Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 06:50:50 AM
FeloniousDunk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 06:50:50 AM »

Scott,

I thought you might recommend TopoFusion Grin  I've obviously never used it, but have seen the results from some of your write ups and others.  I don't know if this is the place to get into this, and I may be showing my ignorance with these software applications but I'm wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of TopoFusion are over the National Geographic TOPO! product.  I know I'd like to trace trails/Forest Service roads/paved roads/etc into a track on a computer then upload that track into a gps and vis versa...among other things. 

I have a Garmin eTrex Venture.  I use it occasionally but really only to record points that I occasionally upload into an ArcMap project or more often to pinpoint my location so I can find where I am on a hard copy map.  It doesn't seem to get good reception when I'm under leaf canopy, which is most of the time out here except in the winter.     

~Shaun

Topic Name: Any WNC routes? Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 06:06:20 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 06:06:20 PM »

It's hard to detail what's better / worse between TF and TOPO!.  In my view, all the mapping products out there (mine included) have their advantages and disadvantages.

One of the main things I do with TF is design/trace/merge/cut new and often long routes, so it tends to have more features along that vein.  But, everyone has their own preferences when it comes to how a product works.  The good thing about TF is you can try the demo for free and see what it can/can't do.

The Venture is probably good enough to record tracks, and also to upload drawn / pieced together tracks to.  Make sure you've got the most up to date firmware -- in the latest you'll get a 10,000 point tracklog rather than 3000.

The tree canopy issue might be a killer, though -- if you have the dough you could look into one of the new units like a Vista HCX (H = high sensitivity receiver).  That'd do everything you want.

Topic Name: Any WNC routes? Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 08:43:10 AM
Mike Brown

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 08:43:10 AM »

Shaun- let's talk at the meeting next Monday.  Oct is booked solid for me, but I am not afeard of the cold and would be interested in doing something in Novemb.  We can DEFINiTELY put something together that would involve some pavement and gravel but LOTS of ST ,  over 100 miles in Pisgah with little if any backtracking or route overlaps.  Think like this:  my house- Bent Creek ST-Spencer/Trace- up Big Creek- Parkway- Flat Laurel- HIKE the Art Loeb- Kisee Creek Road- Sumney Cove- 215- 475- Butter Gap- Cat Gap- 276- up Coontree, down lower part of Bennett- up Avery/Buckhorn- Clawhammer- Black Mountain- Turkey Pen- Bradley- Squirrel- Laurel Creek....ssmewhere in here, start heading back for town.  This is DEFINITELY a 2 nighter in my opinion. 
I also could be talked into RIDING to the Halloween  camp-out from town, that'd be bikepacking...
Mike

Topic Name: Any WNC routes? Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 08:49:15 AM
FeloniousDunk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 08:49:15 AM »

Sweet!  Let's talk Monday for sure. 

I got my bags.

Topic Name: Any WNC routes? Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 11:23:32 AM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 11:23:32 AM »

I'm so jealous it hurts.  I miss NC.