Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: A proper trans-scotland on: November 07, 2010, 10:50:50 AM
zigrat

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2010, 10:50:50 AM »

Just been wondering about doing a proper trans-scotland next year.
Potentially you could start in the South West nr the start of the Southern Upland Way, head up through dumfries, moffat and peebles (enjoying some 7stanes trails in the process) and then into edinburgh, cross to the West Highland Way "WHW" (via the Forth and Clyde Canal), go to Fort William, then up the Great Glen Way as far as the Corrieairick Pass, over to Dalwhinnie, Aviemore and then up the Speyside Way to finish (whew).

This would take in some truly awesome terrain and probably take the best part of ten days riding.

Alternatively you could start in Oban, head up Loch Etive to Glen Kinglas then to Victoria Bridge, up the WHW to Fort William then head over to Aviemore, cross the Cairngorms and head for somewhere on the East Coast (possibly going over Mount Keen?).

Anyone from the UK done any of this stuff - my only experience so far has been the WHW over 2 days.

It strikes me that we've got some major terrain up here and some great routes that would make for some "epics"

Topic Name: A proper trans-scotland Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 12:17:57 PM
mtbconverter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 12:17:57 PM »

eh up me ol duck!

I was planning LEJOG off-road but couldn't get 3/4 weeks off work and I realised a lot of the route, even though it comes through bonny Scotland, is not so great as it passes through connurbations, etc. Instead thinking of Wales top to bottom throuigh Snodonia, BB, etc which should be good. 

Would be interested to hear about your trip if you do it... as I would like to do a bit up there.

Christian thumbsup

Topic Name: A proper trans-scotland Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 01:27:32 AM
Blackhound

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 01:27:32 AM »

I don't know the terrain well but did do C2C last year from Montrose to Dornie and have ridden there 5/6 years in a row.  Corrieairick Pass, Glen Feshie and Glen Affric were all wonderful.  We did a bit of the Great Glen route which was surprisingly hilly - shortish, steep slopes and physically harder than you might think.  Easy technically though.

Do a search for the Tour of The Cairngorms which is ~3 day circular tour.  You could use a part of this route which is wonderful if it fits.

Topic Name: A proper trans-scotland Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 10:31:25 AM
SandSurfer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 10:31:25 AM »

Long ago (1995) I did a loop around Ben Nevis by bike from Ft. William.  It took the better part of a day to do and there was some hike a bike through boggy turf.  It was a really cool loop.  I don't know if that could be included, but there is so much of Scotland that is just open land and could be crossed by bike.  An end to end tour of Scotland, or even better, a giant loop would be awesome.  The route I did was done with the help of a topo.  I was on a paved tour of Scotland, but had my mtb, and was carrying mtb tires with me.

Topic Name: A proper trans-scotland Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 10:40:09 AM
mtbconverter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 10:40:09 AM »

All this snow has got me tinking about on of those Pugsey bikes, though it wouldn't last 2 minutes here (Cambridge).
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: