Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Davy Crockett national forest on: June 30, 2012, 09:30:17 PM
mr clean

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2012, 09:30:17 PM »

Any texans made any routes thru this forest? There is a lot of gravels roads, logging roads, double track, and pipelines. There are several camp grounds here and there, as I remember 20 years ago from hunting down there. Thinking of planning out a route if no one has ever done this.

"Did you see the size of that chicken"

Topic Name: Davy Crockett national forest Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 06:38:20 AM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 06:38:20 AM »

Plan it out and let me and cpblue know what you've cooked up.  He was asking about that just last night.  I just don't even know where to start as far as mapping out roads and such.

Topic Name: Davy Crockett national forest Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 09:41:56 AM
mr clean

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 09:41:56 AM »

Hey Bill,
I'll keep you informed on the routing. It will a while before we head out there due to the heat and growth around there. Either mid September of late feb. Due to hunting season that place will be full of red necks. How long a route you looking for? There is a nice camp ground to stage from in ratcliff. I'm gonna try to figure out a loop to go up to the netches river and then back. Kinda take a clock wise loop. By any chance is ur last name Bowes?

Topic Name: Davy Crockett national forest Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 12:50:38 PM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 12:50:38 PM »

i am new to this, so i'd be thinking 2 or three days, maybe 40 miles a day?, depending on how sandy the roads are.  definitely want to do it outside of hunting season!

Topic Name: Davy Crockett national forest Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 02:50:54 PM
mr clean

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 02:50:54 PM »

I mapped out about 80 miles that is a loop. Did not put much of a dent in the forest. It starts out just east of kennard at the lake Ratliff state park. Made up mostly of forest roads and some county roads. Some of my plan was to get off the main path and explore some unmarked area on pipelines and jeep roads here and there, or just whatever we come across. The camp grounds at Ratliff have a shower and camp grounds. I did not link the netches river area into it cause i did not want to be on roads with traffic. Like I said in previous posts, I hunted down there about 20 years ago and drove a lot of the forest roads back then and even some of the pipelines. I'll keep tweaking on the route and give some alternatives to it. FYI, I did it with bike toaster if you want to play with that a bit. Can't save it on my iPad and that is all I have with me at the moment. Will post link at a later date.

Topic Name: Davy Crockett national forest Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 03:01:41 PM
Bill in Houston

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 03:01:41 PM »

sounds cool!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: