Poll
Question: Don't ask why, just curious if you had 8-10 days and singletrack mountain biking was out of the question, which would you choose?
GDMBR north from Denver to as far as Rawlins - 1 (50%)
Save the time and energy and bike tour the Blue Ridge Parkway - 1 (50%)
Ride the ACA Great Parks South Route from Denver to Durango (or at least parallel that route on better roads) - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 2

Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: 500 miles of GDMBR vs. Great Parks South vs. Blue Ridge Parkway on: July 03, 2012, 03:38:41 AM
dgjessee

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2012, 03:38:41 AM »

This is a repeat question essentially but the options are fewer. Was going to do the CTR, injured, road biking and possibly dirt road mtn biking are all I can do. Tickets bought for Colorado but I live in the Southeast and never did the Blue Ridge Parkway. So my three options are 1) fly out to CO and do a road tour; 2) fly out and ride the GDMBR north from Denver as far as I get in my time off; 3) save all that time, money, and trouble and tour the Blue Ridge Parkway. Open to suggestions other than these too.

Cycling is not rocket science.

Topic Name: 500 miles of GDMBR vs. Great Parks South vs. Blue Ridge Parkway Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 06:44:54 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 06:44:54 AM »

GDMR or the ACA Great Parks would be my bet. Blue Ridge is in your backyard, and from memory (been awhile since I've been through there) - I'd rather ride with far less traffic and tourists.

Topic Name: 500 miles of GDMBR vs. Great Parks South vs. Blue Ridge Parkway Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 06:55:34 AM
dgjessee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 06:55:34 AM »

Thanks! That's kind of my only big drawback to the parkway--in my backyard. Which is kind of why I feel like I should tick it off too... BangHead

Topic Name: 500 miles of GDMBR vs. Great Parks South vs. Blue Ridge Parkway Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 07:35:46 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 07:35:46 AM »

well, you've already got time off and tickets to colorado... so i'd head west. the parkway will be there for a close to home vacation.
but i'm biased. i always like riding somewhere new, if possible, and getting out west on a bike is on my to-do list.

Topic Name: 500 miles of GDMBR vs. Great Parks South vs. Blue Ridge Parkway Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 11:43:42 AM
ride MT

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 11:43:42 AM »

I vote CO, but the fire situation out this way is very very bad and only going to get worse by the day. They may or may not affect the GD route. I bet in MT where I live we are probably a month out from total closure of the forests.

Topic Name: 500 miles of GDMBR vs. Great Parks South vs. Blue Ridge Parkway Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 11:47:14 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 11:47:14 AM »

I vote CO, but the fire situation out this way is very very bad and only going to get worse by the day. They may or may not affect the GD route. I bet in MT where I live we are probably a month out from total closure of the forests.

that would change things, for sure. especially as i'm an asthmatic. elevation + smoke would do me in.

Topic Name: 500 miles of GDMBR vs. Great Parks South vs. Blue Ridge Parkway Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 01:54:07 PM
dgjessee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 01:54:07 PM »

I bet in MT where I live we are probably a month out from total closure of the forests.

Wow, really? I didn't realize it was that bad! How much fire does it take to close a whole forest?

Topic Name: 500 miles of GDMBR vs. Great Parks South vs. Blue Ridge Parkway Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 08:14:18 AM
threepin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 08:14:18 AM »

They might close a few regions but the whole state is doubtful- The northwest corner (and BC/AB) has been totally different from father south. We just finished our wettest month on record and yesterday had a low in the 30's and a high in the 60's. Too, the areas father south that have been drier often get more of the monsoon so that may help them out.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: