Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Which town would you choose? on: February 09, 2015, 06:04:48 PM
Yagi

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2015, 06:04:48 PM »

So, I've come to the conclusion that I can't afford a home in Fort Collins, and the real estate market here continually extends beyond my reach more every day.  I guess they're predicting another 17% increase on homes again this year, and with a wife to support (and, hopefully, kids in the somewhat near future), I just don't think I can make it financially here.  I refuse to go broke trying, and we're not roommate people anymore, so that's out of the question.  It's really too bad, because Fort Collins is really a great place, and I'd just be answering my own question by asking how it got so expensive.  I've also never really been into Boulder, and Fort Collins seams to be trending toward that kind of place, at least real estate-wise, and I just don't have the monetary assets to get in.

There are just a couple of towns I'm looking at, mainly because I like what I do for a job, and they both have jobs that I could transfer into pretty seamlessly.  Fort Collins is the biggest city I've ever lived in, and I'm looking at getting back to a smaller town - I've lived in many small towns back in Wisconsin and Wyoming and I'm familiar with the vibe.  As far as I know, both towns have pretty good access to riding, climbing, fishing, hunting, camping, and all-around outdoorsy-ness, which I partake in regularly. 

The towns are Helena, MT, and Montrose, CO.  We've been to Montrose many times, have good friends there, and are generally pretty familiar with the whole joint.  However, I've never been to Helena.  I've been to Missoula, Butte, Bozeman and Billings, but I have no idea if these places even compare/translate to Helena.  It seems to be a bit bigger than Montrose, like, by 20,000 or something, but that really makes no difference to us.  We just want a place with a good school system, good health care, affordable housing, and great access to the outdoors.  Doesn't everybody... I know.

Figured I'd ask you guys for your take.  For now, I'm only interested in hearing what you have to say about these 2 places - Helena and Montrose.  Anything you can offer is greatly appreciated - negative, positive, contrasting, whatever.  I have a job interview for a place in Helena this Wednesday.  A job in Montrose should be available in the near future.  I guess what I'm saying is, I have to think quick.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Topic Name: Which town would you choose? Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 07:52:12 PM
elitheknife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 07:52:12 PM »

Yo Steve-O!

Helena.  Great place.  Good MTBing.  Cheap.  I've always loved that place.

Scott

Topic Name: Which town would you choose? Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 07:59:56 PM
Yagi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 07:59:56 PM »

Thanks for the reply, Scotty! 

If it works out, I'll have to get up to the Canada and finally have some beers witcha.

And, dude, I can't kill your bags.  Still in outstanding condition despite the abuse they've seen.

Topic Name: Which town would you choose? Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 09:39:07 AM
mtnbound

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 09:39:07 AM »

I don't have any comments on those two towns since I have never been to Helena and only to Montrose a couple of times.  I live it Ft Collins as well and while I love the city, I am shocked at the real estate market as well.  Prices are waaay too high and only getting worse.  Off topic (I know you said you wanted to limit comments to those two towns), but don't know if you looked at nearby communities, such as Wellington, Johnstown, Milliken, Mead, Loveland, around Longmont or areas in unincorporated Larimer County that are not part of any town/city, since the real estate market is much more affordable in those areas and you still have access to great schools, health care, outdoor activities and FTC/Front Range.

Topic Name: Which town would you choose? Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 10:50:47 AM
Yagi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 10:50:47 AM »

I have looked at the outlying communities you'd mentioned, but they're not that much less expensive than the Fort.  Sure, they are less, but with a *measly* budget of, say $200,000, there's really not that much available that isn't an absolute piece of $h!t anywhere.  Of course, I never really focus my search on those areas, so there may be houses I'm missing.  However, with all time I've spent in Fort Collins and all the friends I've got here, I can't see myself living somewhere close and not trying to be back in Fort Collins most of the time.  You catch my drift?  I think it might be better for me to move away.  It seems like I'd just make up the money that I might save on a house and just go and spend it on gas getting back to the trails.  I prefer to ride to where I mountain bike, and I've gotten so spoiled living in the P.O.E.T. neighborhood and having the foothills right out my back door.

Thanks for the reply!

Topic Name: Which town would you choose? Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 07:06:40 AM
Iowagriz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 07:06:40 AM »

Lived in Montana and spent a bunch of time in Helena (but have not lived there), nice town. Typical capital city with decent amenities. Good MTBing and lots of skiing within 2hr drives. Nicely located in the middle of the state. Just on the east side of the divide, so seems to always have a little less snow than the western part of the state. I'd definitely consider living there.

Topic Name: Which town would you choose? Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 05:54:47 PM
cridedgo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 05:54:47 PM »

I know your pain. My wife and are in the same boat with Durango. We love living here but after 15 + years its time to figure something out. Recently I think Colorado has just gone down hill in general. Seems like more and more yuppies are moving in and the cost of living and the low wages (Durango) are making things more and more difficult.  Realestate in Durango is stupid expensive, but the riding is hands down some of the best. I dont know much about Montrose but its close the the mountains, but I think the riding is limited.
We are currently searching for a new place and Boise is on our radar. Its not a small town like we want, but the cost of living will allow us to see and do more things. The cost of living there is very affordable, health care system is suppose to be pretty damn good, my field of work. One of the top cities for bike communting. Can easily find a place under 200k.  My brother in law lives up there and says the riding is pretty damn good. He has been riding a lot lately I believe. The weather is great except for a couple really hot months during the summer (Aug). The mountains up there are absolutely amazing. Stanley Idaho blows my mind everytime I see it.  Lots of water if your a boater/rafter also. Everyone we have talked to has nothing but great things to say about it. Not a small town but it might be the sacrifice we have to make to live a lifestyle we are looking for. Helena and Missoula are other options for us also, but I have heard the winters are longer and thats not what we want. Hard for us to find jobs also in a small town such as Helena.   Trust me I know where you are coming from and it sucks to leave a town that you love. Good luck, will be checking out the riding in two weeks in Boise, let me know if your interested in how it is.   I doubt we could do montrose, not our seen.
We are heading up there in a couple weeks to check it out, PM and I will give you a ride report if interested. 

Topic Name: Which town would you choose? Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 06:27:27 AM
Yagi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 06:27:27 AM »

I think Boise would be a great place to live, and if I had an opportunity for a job there, I'd try to get the Lady to move there with me.  I've been there a few times, and it seems like a fantastic area.  Like I mentioned before, the only reason I'm exercising the options between Montrose and Helena is because that's where there are jobs that I could get now.  If something else comes up, I'll look at that, too.  Being from Wisconsin, the Lady and I know all about long winters, and we'd rather avoid that if possible, but whatever happens, happens.  Colorado is pretty dang spoiling to the folks who've traveled from actual cold-weather areas.  I actually got offered a job in Durango with the Forest Service about 2 years ago.  I had to turn it down because I knew I'd never be able to afford to buy a place there.  I was pretty bummed about that, since I love Durango, too.  I'm with you though, cridedgo, it does seem like there's a lot of gentrification happening in Colorado. For better, or worse, I don't know, but I do know it's not helping a certain class of folks.

Definitely interested in a ride report... I think everybody would be.  Wink  PM me if you don't want everybody to know the secrets.

Good luck up there in Boise, hope it works out for you!

Topic Name: Which town would you choose? Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 08:22:28 AM
Flounder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 08:22:28 AM »

I'll throw another option out there - Prescott, AZ. With roughly 60,000 people in the immediate area, it's definitely got a small town vibe. While it was a terrible place to ride 15 years ago, I'd say it's one of the best riding locations in the entire southwest with an easy 300+ miles of trail accessible from our picturesque town square. We host the Whiskey Offroad race every year and we're fast becoming mountain bike HQ for the state. The reason is simple enough. At 5,500 feet in the pines, we have an easy 300+ days of riding in beautiful sunshine. Summer temps seldom break 90. Winter...hell...it's Feb and I rode in shorts and long sleeves for almost all of January and Feb this year. If you have a flexible schedule, you can ride in 50-75 temps almost year round. Housing is not too much cheaper than the Fort, where all of my family lives. But, cost of living isn't terrible.

Plus, we're within 7-8 hours of Moab, Durango, Baja, San Diego, Hurricane UT, etc. In the winter you can drive 90 minutes south to 80º desert rides. In the summer, you can drive 90 minutes north to 70º temps in Flagstaff.

In a couple hours I'll take a lunch break, go rip out 15 miles of trail, then get back to work.

Try that in the Fort.

Topic Name: Which town would you choose? Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 09:27:26 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 09:27:26 AM »

Montrose does have one advantage over Helena. Its close to some really nice technical riding. As tech as one wants to get. Is that important? Not so much for straight XC riding and bikepacking. But if one wants to get their micro-huck on, the western slope of Colorado and Moab have a nice setup going on right now.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: Which town would you choose? Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 06:02:27 PM
Yagi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 06:02:27 PM »

I'll throw another option out there - Prescott, AZ.

I've definitely thought about this.  I've never been to Prescott, but it looks nice in the pictures.  My only real riding experience in Arizona is the Coconino Loop, and though none of it touches Prescott, it sure was fun (and slightly punishing.  Friggin' Mingus.) 

I like the fact that there is so much trail and outdoors in the vicinity.  If Outside magazine ever does a feature on your town, Flounder, I fear it'll all be over for low(er) real estate prices there, too.  I have followed many of your pictures over on ExPo, and it sure looks like heaven for a singlespeeder at heart, like me. 

Singletrack accessibility from our backdoor is a must for wherever we move.  But, I'll tell you what, the Fort does have some decent trails you could hit in a 2-hour lunch timeframe like you mentioned above about Prescott.  Only thing is, if you're riding from town, then you are pretty limited if you bore easily.  I take it Prescott's accessibility is a tad better?

Thanks for chiming in!

Topic Name: Which town would you choose? Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 06:10:19 PM
Yagi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 06:10:19 PM »

Montrose does have one advantage over Helena. Its close to some really nice technical riding.

Yeah, and this does matter to me.  I try to be a well-rounded rider, so the techy stuff is always something I try to get on.

The other thing I really like is good live music.  I feel like I'll be giving up a ton of that if/when I leave Fort Collins.  Anybody know about the music scenes in any of the aforementioned towns?

Thanks, guys.

Topic Name: Which town would you choose? Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 11:04:45 AM
NT

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 11:04:45 AM »

Never been to Helena but have lived within a couple hours of Montrose most of my life. There is some riding at the Adobes (behind the airport), some great desert riding north of there (Sidewinder trail is long and techy), and some riding I've not tried at the foot of the Uncompahgre Plateau. Otherwise, a short drive gets you to Grand Junction, Grand Mesa, Paonia, Carbondale, Gunnison, Crested Butte, Ridgeway, Silverton, and Telluride- all of which have great riding of different varieties. Tons of road and gravel biking from your door. Fantastic backcountry skiing at Red Mountain Pass, climbing at the Black Canyon and Ouray. Less people than the front range. I'd imagine it gets more sun than Helena. Montrose has killer views of the San Juans. You could also consider living in Ridgway (probably more $, but a little closer to the mountains) and commute to Montrose. Ridgway has a trails advocacy group that is working to expand their trail network (RAT).

Topic Name: Which town would you choose? Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 11:39:55 AM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 11:39:55 AM »

The last time I traveled through Southern Utah, (St.George, Hurricane, etc.) I saw some reasonably priced homes for sale.  And if you're a condo person - there were lots of affordable ones to choose from.  Don't know if it would fit your employment needs but there's tons of great riding and other outdoor activities there.  It's mostly red rock desert with mountains close by.  Hot summers and relatively mild winters.  Awesome spring and fall weather.  Very pretty area. 

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: Which town would you choose? Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 09:13:06 PM
cjdunn

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 09:13:06 PM »

Do not come to Prescott.  It is awful here.  Nothing to see or do.  Move along. 

If your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough.

Topic Name: Which town would you choose? Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 08:47:02 AM
Yagi

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 08:47:02 AM »

Do not come to Prescott.  It is awful here.  Nothing to see or do.  Move along. 

Yeah, heard that one before.  Never quite sure how to take it... Wink

Topic Name: Which town would you choose? Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 09:19:39 PM
cjdunn

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 09:19:39 PM »

I think if you visit you won't leave.  That's how you should take it.  It is a pretty awesome place really with lots of mtb riders and opportunities.  Year round riding.

If your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough.

Topic Name: Which town would you choose? Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 06:14:05 AM
vmabuck

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 06:14:05 AM »

Montrose.

But if you want really cheap living come to NE OK or AK. I bought my house for 8k and my dad got his on 2.5 acres for 14k...

Topic Name: Which town would you choose? Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 06:31:52 AM
Yagi

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 06:31:52 AM »

I think if you visit you won't leave.  That's how you should take it.  It is a pretty awesome place really with lots of mtb riders and opportunities.  Year round riding.

Yeah, figured that's what you meant.  Besides the riding and outdoor opportunities, how's the rest of it?  I can deal with a lot of unexcitement, but.. the Lady, she's different than I.  Good local music scene?  Schools - any idea on quality?

Thanks for the reply.

Topic Name: Which town would you choose? Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 06:46:02 AM
Yagi

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 06:46:02 AM »

Montrose.

But if you want really cheap living come to NE OK or AK. I bought my house for 8k and my dad got his on 2.5 acres for 14k...

Alaska would be super cool, I think.  That being said, I think my wife would hate it.  She got spoiled with all the sun we get here, and she wants no part of anything close to where we came from... if we have a choice when it comes down to it.  Wisconsin, like the rest of the midwest, gets pretty dang gloomy for the winter months, and the humidity doesn't help the cold feel better like sun does.  And the mosquitoes... my God the mosquitoes.  At this point, I know we can't sustain living here (Fort Collins) for a long time if we don't come across something great sooner than later, but at least my wife is happy, and that counts for something(a lot, actually). 

I turned down the job in Helena.  They offered it to me, but I wasn't happy with some of the ways things were being done; there was more responsibility for less pay; and in the craft which I work, 2 people is a requirement for safety and communication - I would've been the only guy.  I can stick it out for longer to find the right job.  It's always easier to find a job when you have a job.

Thanks for the reply, dude.
  Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: