Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: what kind of bike????? on: December 08, 2019, 07:26:52 AM
musicman

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2019, 07:26:52 AM »

Hello to all.

I am a complete newbie to the bike packing scene. I am coming from the backpacking world, and due to health reasons cannot really do it to the extent that I would, and was use to doing. I was told about Bike packing and thought I would like to explore this.

I have gone to my local bike shop, rei, and was pointed to bikes that cost 1700 hundred dollars and up. I get the "you get what you pay for mantra" but I cannot afford that to start out since I know nothing.

My question is what kind of bike? I guess that is determined by what I want to do........at least that is what I gathered? I have a lightweight backpacking systems, so I'm good with that, but the bike part I don't know.

I live in NC and I am interested in longer excursions out.......what I used to do by foot. Not really interested in true mountain biking, or what is called single track?, but going on logging roads, gravel, paved roads. The NP near me are Pisgah, Natahala, Cherokee, and others if that gives you an idea.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

I backpacked since I was a boy so I have been familiar with the terminology and what was needed. As time went along I became more proficient and pared down what I needed. I assume that is the same for this as well.

I look forward to any input. I know I'm really setting myself up, but I need to learn.

Thank you for any help! It is gratefully accepted and very welcome.

Topic Name: what kind of bike????? Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 05:05:38 PM
jaybo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 05:05:38 PM »

A Surly Bridge Club could be a great option at around $1200

Topic Name: what kind of bike????? Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 06:01:44 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 06:01:44 AM »

The standard reply is the bike you already have, or in this case most any bike could be made to work. I would look for something used to save money. Go to a shop that carries used bike's you should be able to get something decent for under 500 bucks.

Tim

Topic Name: what kind of bike????? Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 05:01:24 PM
musicman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 05:01:24 PM »

Thank you folks for your help.

One problem..........I only have one bike, and that is a Schwinn cross bike with skinny tires.  I bought it twenty years ago used at a bike store. I rode it plenty, but I don't think that would work.

To show you how out of touch I am, I really don't know who makes a decent mountain bike. I have heard of diamondback, but that is really it. When I said I'm starting from scratch, I meant it Smiley Could you recommend any other brands that I might find used. There are bike stores near me but they do not have anything used.

Are there any other ways, and means of getting information about this?

Any videos on youtube anyone could recommend?

I want to learn.

I want to get outside.

I know I'm in for a steep learning curve.

I appreciate any help. It is most welcome and gratefully appreciated.

Been a ground pounder for so long, I have no idea of a bike I would need.

Thanks

Topic Name: what kind of bike????? Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 11:36:40 AM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 11:36:40 AM »

Check out the Surly brand to get some ideas of a simple mountain bike that will work for touring aka bikepacking. Emphasis on ideas, your bike doesn’t need to be a Surly, just an inexpensive hardtail mountain bike that has frame features than enable mounting multiple bottles and maybe racks to the bike. (Bike bottle “braze-ons” and rack/fender eyelets.)

2.25-2.4” tires are nice. Most bikepackers prefer 29” wheels. Though you could do fairly serious mountain biking on it, the direction is a comfortable and stable bike for long hours. You can change the tires on a hardtail MTB and essentially have a different bike depending on needs for a given route.

Buy used if you can.

Practice on a variety of surfaces and trails so you’ll be confident in the backcountry with a load. Bikepacking is a great end goal, but just get familiar with bikes now, how to ride on tricky surfaces and do common repairs. The packing part you have all but dialed in, so ride ride ride. Smiley

AdventureCycling.com
Bikepacking.com
MTBR.com bikepacking forum
Google
Local bike shops
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 11:52:27 AM by offroute » Logged

Topic Name: what kind of bike????? Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 01:17:33 PM
RonK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 01:17:33 PM »

Start your bikepacking education here:

https://bikepacking.com/bikepacking-101/

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Topic Name: what kind of bike????? Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 04:05:43 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 04:05:43 PM »

Maybe there is a bicycle coop in your aera:
https://www.bikecollectives.org/wiki/index.php?title=Community_Bicycle_Organizations#North_Carolina
Knowing how to repair your bike in the field is important. Bike coops not only have a lot of old bikes, they also show people how to fix bicycles.
The coop is often the least expensive place to get a bicycle.  If you decide to keep riding you can buy a nicer one.  In the middle of January last years model will be on sale for half off at many a bike shop.

I vote for 29 inch wheels.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 04:14:12 PM by chrisx » Logged

Topic Name: what kind of bike????? Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 07:53:18 AM
musicman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 07:53:18 AM »

Thank you so much for the following information.

I found one that is in Charlotte, NC. I  will give them a call today.

I have been looking at all the links that everyone has provided me with. Thank you and I am grateful. I have looked at the the other entries on this forum and I think they are past my knoledge base at the moment. Smiley

Your right, I do need to get a bike, and just get outside with it. In looking at other sites and what I prefer to ride on a 29'' inch tires seems to be what I'm leaning to.

Question: on long distance bike trails would this type of bike be suitable. I'm not interested on going on hiking trails/ dual use. From what I have seen in the Pisgah ranger district of NC that looks to be over my head.

The more questions I ask: the more I realize I do not know.

Please keep the information coming..... I do appreciate it and I'm learning.

Thanks

Topic Name: what kind of bike????? Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 05:17:51 AM
Daley07

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 05:17:51 AM »

Are you curious what's the right BMX size for you? Having one  that fits perfectly to your height allows you to stay comfortable throughout the ride. Getting the right size for you depends on your reach and height: For people with a height of 110 to 122 cm, the suggested BMX wheel size is 16 inches.  Children from seven to 11 years old that are 122 cm to 147 cm in height are good to have a wheel size of 18 inches. While people with a height of 147 cm to 193 cm can have BMX bikes 20 inch.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 03:55:55 AM by Daley07 » Logged
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: