Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: What are you all doing for rain pants? on: March 30, 2014, 09:54:30 AM
roadpacker

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2014, 09:54:30 AM »

So I lost a pair of HyVent rain pants on my last bike tour so I'm looking to replace them, and I'm wondering what you all do for rain pants. I like full length pants because you can wear them in camp to defeat bugs, but admittedly they do get hot in the summer, but are very much adequate for spring, fall, and winter.

I've heard of folks trimming their rain pants to 3/4 lengths; I've heard of folks using goretex soft-shell rain pants, etc. What are you guys running?

Best yet: 320 mi, 2 days, Baltimore-NJ-Baltimore, Sept '13
Goal: 330 in 36 hrs

3,000 mi from Baltimore, MD to Moab, UT. 40 days.

Topic Name: What are you all doing for rain pants? Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 06:12:15 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 06:12:15 PM »

Depending on the trip. For short local stuff where rain gear is more of an 'in case' I take a driducks jacket and pants. I took the pants on the Colorado Trail and completely destroyed them, but they did the job. 

For bike touring I've used Northface Hyvent 2.5 full length pants with the bottom zip and added a bit more velcro to the bottom to cinch them in tighter around the ankles (218g). They give good full protection as I get way more wet riding on the road then I do in the trails.

This year I'm going to mess around with some mec aquanator pants for bikepacking.  I got some for $30. I cut them down to 3/4 length and added bungee draw cords to the bottoms. (140g and way smaller packed volume). I've tested them here on mtb rides and they're fine for my intents and purposes. If they survive winter rides in Vancouver, they're probably pretty good anywhere.

The aquanators are cheap light weight and feature free which were all things I was looking for.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5024-362/mec-aquanator-pants-mens/?Ntk=productsearch_en_q32008&h=10&f=10+50089&q=rain%2Bpants

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: What are you all doing for rain pants? Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 09:12:45 AM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 09:12:45 AM »

Marmot Precip. I prefer a full-length side zip.

Topic Name: What are you all doing for rain pants? Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 09:15:24 AM
roadpacker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 09:15:24 AM »

I have used driducks; don't really like them at all, esp. the pants. Good thought on the full-side zip; shoes-off as the rain comes in usually sucks! (and often encourages you to wear the pants longer than you might need to after it quits!) I wonder though, if cycling-specific rain pants don't have reinforced seat areas. Although I did a lot of cycling with a pair of non-reinforced HyVent pants and it didn't seem to leave a dent.

Topic Name: What are you all doing for rain pants? Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 11:50:02 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 11:50:02 PM »

Sugoi majic shell pants, with my own mods - waist loops so I can use ski bib straps (front only) and under boot arch loops to keep the ankle of the boot covered.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: What are you all doing for rain pants? Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 08:02:06 AM
pedalad

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 08:02:06 AM »

I wear cheap 2.5 layer rainshell paints. A lotta companies make 'em, it's all the same technology coming from the same factories!

The waterproofing is courtesy of a Durable Water Repellent finish applied to the pants or jacket. As long as you treat the fabric regularly with use (say once a year for moderate use) with a product called revivex, or tech wash, you should have decent rain gear that does alright with the wet stuff and will breathe a bit better than the 3L gore-tex or eVent stuff.

As the market stands for waterproof gear, there is a significant amount of trade-off between waterproofing and breathability. There is a reason gore-tex rain shells have pit zips, they simply don't breathe, contrary to what the manufacturer might say. I hear eVent fabrics breathe better, but you are still putting yourself in a position when riding that you will get wet from the rain or get wet from your own perspiration.

I will be carrying both shell pants and jacket on my 2014 GDMBR trip. Some times you can just get wet and wait (hope!) for some sun to get dried out. I bring these important items for the other times, when I simply do not want to get wet. (low temperatures mainly) Rain shells also do well with blocking the wind on descents and at camp for bugs or another layer.

love to ride.

Topic Name: What are you all doing for rain pants? Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 09:51:09 AM
kq100

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 09:51:09 AM »

I have been using both the Montane Atomic pants for wet weather and their wind pant. They are great for cycling as they have adjustments on the lower leg to keep them away from the pant tearing chain ring.

http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/shell/atomic-pants

Topic Name: What are you all doing for rain pants? Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 09:55:31 AM
roadpacker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 09:55:31 AM »

Right now I'm looking at Showers Pass Convertible rain pants. I like the idea of rain shorts, like I said, and I know from experience that full pants are awesome for keeping bugs and cold weather off in camp. Anyone have experience with SP pants?

Topic Name: What are you all doing for rain pants? Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 04:43:19 AM
ridebikeme

Chase Cyclery

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 04:43:19 AM »

Another vote for Marmot Precip pants here. Have used them on bikepacking, touring and backpacking trips. Full length pant with full zips... can't beat them! headbang

where the wheels are always moving...
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: