Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tubeless Repair Kit: advice needed on: January 21, 2019, 08:54:28 AM
Bobonli

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2019, 08:54:28 AM »

I've been cavalier about riding my tubeless 29r with nothing more than a spare inner tube for too long. Most of my rides are day trips that I could walk out of if needed, but a recent flat made me add some components to my EDC when riding: valve core tool, plug kit, small multi-tool,  and a better selection of patches and boots.

I'm 'on the fence' about the need and utility of carrying sealant on day-to-day rides. My road riding friends say "Got a flat, pop in a tube and keep rolling, no point in adding sealant." The rationale being that if the hole is so big that you lost all the sealant, you have bigger issues and should boot the tire and slap in a tube. Similarly, for smaller punctures, use a plug and whatever sealant remaining in the tire.

So for those of you with more experience: Do you carry sealant on routine rides** and have you needed to 'top off' after a roadside repair?

There seems to be a divide among road and mountain riders. Roadies not carrying any extra sealant and mountain bikers carrying jugs of it!

** I'm distinguishing routine day trips or S24Os from longer trips, where I know there is clear benefit from having extra to refresh the tires in case the sealant dried up etc.

Topic Name: Tubeless Repair Kit: advice needed Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 12:00:09 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 12:00:09 PM »

I've been cavalier about riding my tubeless 29r with nothing more than a spare inner tube for too long. Most of my rides are day trips that I could walk out of if needed, but a recent flat made me add some components to my EDC when riding: valve core tool, plug kit, small multi-tool,  and a better selection of patches and boots.

I'm 'on the fence' about the need and utility of carrying sealant on day-to-day rides. My road riding friends say "Got a flat, pop in a tube and keep rolling, no point in adding sealant." The rationale being that if the hole is so big that you lost all the sealant, you have bigger issues and should boot the tire and slap in a tube. Similarly, for smaller punctures, use a plug and whatever sealant remaining in the tire.

So for those of you with more experience: Do you carry sealant on routine rides** and have you needed to 'top off' after a roadside repair?

There seems to be a divide among road and mountain riders. Roadies not carrying any extra sealant and mountain bikers carrying jugs of it!

** I'm distinguishing routine day trips or S24Os from longer trips, where I know there is clear benefit from having extra to refresh the tires in case the sealant dried up etc.

If I'm sleeping out (S24 to multi week) I'll 2oz carry sealant
Regular day rides (2-16h); if I know I'll be home that night or near a town/shop that I can get some I don't carry any.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Tubeless Repair Kit: advice needed Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 05:35:22 AM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 05:35:22 AM »

The bigger concern is not a hole so big it doesn't seal, but your sealant drying out. Or really, one of your dumb a** buddies who pays people to set up their tubeless not knowing that they need to check in on it from time to time. For that reason, when I lead a ride, I often carry a little. I think I need to buy a mini bottle of Stans, pour it out, and refill it with Orange Seal. Orange Seal only ships in 4oz bottles, which is excessive for my emergency needs.

When I travel with my bike I always bring a 4oz bottle just in case TSA gets excited and lets all the air out of my tires and pops a bead.

Topic Name: Tubeless Repair Kit: advice needed Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 02:16:28 PM
Bobonli

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 02:16:28 PM »

The bigger concern is not a hole so big it doesn't seal, but your sealant drying out. Or really, one of your dumb a** buddies who pays people to set up their tubeless not knowing that they need to check in on it from time to time. For that reason, when I lead a ride, I often carry a little. I think I need to buy a mini bottle of Stans, pour it out, and refill it with Orange Seal. Orange Seal only ships in 4oz bottles, which is excessive for my emergency needs.

When I travel with my bike I always bring a 4oz bottle just in case TSA gets excited and lets all the air out of my tires and pops a bead.

I don't think it has been announced but Orange Seal will be coming out with a 2 ounce version. I corresponded with them about this last week (in search of a 2 ounce bottle solution) and they told me it's "coming soon."

Topic Name: Tubeless Repair Kit: advice needed Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 11:17:06 PM
Howard70

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 11:17:06 PM »

I carry a Dynaplug kit (http://www.dynaplug.com/megapill.html) and use it frequently.  Very fast to use, plugs large & small holes well, compact & easy to carry.  Only disadvantages are cost (they are well made so I think the price is fair) and you need some air in the tire for the plug to insert (I've always been able to make it work).  I'm in New Mexico and routinely ride in areas with heavy infestations of goat heads.  Last year I counted up sealed (Caffelatex) and plugged holes in my rear tire.  There were 280 total punctures, 270 sealed and 10 required plugs.

For awhile I carried extra sealant and if bikepacking a tube as backup.  In nearly three years I never used the tube and never needed the sealant (the Dynaplug was faster), so I no longer carry them.

Howard Snell
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: