Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Threadless Stem Question on: February 18, 2012, 04:23:13 PM
Teamfour

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2012, 04:23:13 PM »

I was thinking of installing another stem on my threadless setup in addition to the one that the handlebar is mounted to. The longer second one would mount below the primary one and have a short bar in it to attach a bag harness to. I know this has been done before, but my issue is that there is not enough height available on the fork tube to mount both stems. I do not want to use a fork tube extender. Has anyone ever shortened the height of a stem? Is all of this clear as mud?  icon_scratch

Topic Name: Threadless Stem Question Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 05:47:54 PM
JReeves

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 05:47:54 PM »

I kind of have a visual of what you're thinking...  The setup you're talking about is commonly called a "Fred bar" and it allows you to mount lights, aero bars, etc to it.
It sounds like you're thinking of taking a stem, and shortening the stack height by grinding or cutting it shorter.  This could potentially work if you used a stem with a really sharp angle, to keep you from bisecting the entire stem.  Could be tough to get a flat mating surface that doesn't interfere with the headset, and still allows you to clamp it down good.  The other options are having something like this made...  Siren used to make them but I recall that they stopped last year.

Here's a few threads that will help you get some visuals...
http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,1975.0.html
http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,2478.0.html
http://sirenbicycles.wordpress.com/2010/04/07/fred-bars-shipping/

Topic Name: Threadless Stem Question Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 05:58:08 PM
Teamfour

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 05:58:08 PM »

Yep, the discontinued Fred bar was what I was looking for, thus the question. I am now looking for an aluminum clamp that I could TIG weld to a bar to make my own fred bar.

Topic Name: Threadless Stem Question Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 09:27:57 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 09:27:57 PM »

Yep, I know exactly what you are thinking. I have two stems on one of my bikes, with a kiddy seat (LOCT) on the front of the bike. I have a second pair of bars (cut down carbon road bars into a stubby flatbar) for my daughter to hang onto. I used a BBB steerer extender and cannot fault the strength, but of course the weight is not a factor on this bike - 6" travel freeride bike with beef for 1.5 riders Smiley

I would not weld anything to a set of bars. Too critical an item to mess with, and too many variables to be stronger than original.

Why don't you want to use a steerer extender?

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Threadless Stem Question Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 10:12:55 AM
bumbler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 10:12:55 AM »

I did something similar, but used a piece of bar aluminum which substitutes for a headset spacer.

I just leave this piece on the bike; weight is negligible and less hassle to install/remove stuff. Then I use that bolt pattern to make & attach whatever I want. For example, a flashlight holder:

I also use it as an upper attachment for a small front rack I made.

Topic Name: Threadless Stem Question Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 11:14:53 AM
Teamfour

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 11:14:53 AM »

Bumbler, great minds think alike! Smiley I just finished sketching out something similar. I will post the design in a little while.

Topic Name: Threadless Stem Question Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 05:37:14 PM
Teamfour

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 05:37:14 PM »

Bar with a tube that slips over bar and attached with bolts. 3/8" thick 6061 aluminum. Separate images are not to scale obviously.

* stem bar.jpg (9.16 KB, 296x332 - viewed 156 times.)
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: