Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Suspended/flexible seat post vs. Fully on: July 28, 2013, 03:30:13 AM
F0neb0ne

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2013, 03:30:13 AM »

Hi everyone,

last tour really tortured my bottom because the track had LOTS of concrete slabs with a lot of holes which made for a majorly bumpy ride. I want to ride the rest of that tour, so I m expecting the same torture again. Now I m wondering what I could do to reduce the pain in the ass.

Right now I am riding a Cannondale 29er Flash F2 29er 2012er Alloy which had a Lefty in front, but no suspension for the back tire. For a saddle I already have the SQLab 611 active which does have some flexibility, but bumps from roots or slabs still get right through.
I am wondering whether you can recommend any suspended seat posts?
Cannondale offers a flexible seat post (Flash Carbon Seatpost), can anyone share their experience with it?

Alternatively I guess I can only switch to a fully, I guess. Love the geometry of my Flash, so I d go for a Scalpel 29er, which are sold out here.

Topic Name: Suspended/flexible seat post vs. Fully Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 05:17:28 PM
glenndandy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 05:17:28 PM »

I'd say either change seats or use chamois butter.

Topic Name: Suspended/flexible seat post vs. Fully Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 01:26:37 AM
F0neb0ne

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 01:26:37 AM »

Well, I did use Chamois (and wore a Gore Bike pant). The butter only reduces friction. I am looking for something that reduces the actual bumping which without any suspension kicks right into your hip bones.

Topic Name: Suspended/flexible seat post vs. Fully Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 05:45:19 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 05:45:19 AM »

Seat post suspension vs real wheel suspension. One is meant just to save your ass the other also saves your back side and helps keep the back wheel on the ground.

I've never used a suspension seat post, I have a Ti post that has more flex and helps take the edge off. Either way that's all you get out of a seat post IMO. Non of the suspension post that I have seen have much travel, if they did it would throw off your seat height adjustment. That and they can't help the bike soak up bumps.

One thing I notice when going from suspension to hardtail is that the bike jumps around more without suspension. Of course there's a weight penalty for full suspension.

Hope that helps.

Tim

Topic Name: Suspended/flexible seat post vs. Fully Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 07:24:54 AM
the tortoise

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 07:24:54 AM »

Thudbuster LT works well for me in conjunction with a Brooks B-17 saddle. Comfort in the saddle with the efficiency of a hardtail. One of the top rated products on MTBR.com
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/suspension/suspension-seatpost/cane-creek/thudbuster/prd_353254_150crx.aspx

Topic Name: Suspended/flexible seat post vs. Fully Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 08:23:46 AM
EricB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 08:23:46 AM »

I ride nearly an identical bike (Flash Alloy1) and put a Thudbuster ST on it for the same reason. It's not anywhere's close to full suspension but definitely takes the edge off considerably. I went ST over LT because it's compatible with the Revelate Viscacha bag. Also using a WTB Rocket V with has a nice bit of cushion over the stock race saddle that Cannondale uses.

Topic Name: Suspended/flexible seat post vs. Fully Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 09:29:50 AM
danimal

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 09:29:50 AM »

I also have a Thudbuster.  I love it for fire roads and commuting.  It is no replacement for true rear suspension off-road, but it is awesome for comfort for long miles on rough surfaces.  You might also consider your rear tire width and pressure.  Could you go wider?  Could you go lower pressure?  I find that people frequently want to ride super hard tires for some imagined efficiency.  Only on the smoothest surfaces is this practical.  For anything else let them down a little.  Torture is not efficient.  A smooth ride is less fatiguing and therefore more efficient.  Good luck.

Topic Name: Suspended/flexible seat post vs. Fully Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 07:29:52 PM
Pack Mule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 07:29:52 PM »

I have become interested in this new setup called the BodyFloat.  It is expensive though...$349.00 US dollars.   But that does include a carbon fiber post.

* Body Float.jpg (30.41 KB, 339x600 - viewed 498 times.)
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: