Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Solar Charger for USB? on: April 17, 2012, 10:04:05 AM
Trhoppe

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2012, 10:04:05 AM »

I'm looking to grab a solar charger for USB devices to keep the GPS and iPhone up to snuff.

I've looked through websites and read some reviews and seem to have narrowed it down to two

1) Solio Bolt charger - http://www.rei.com/product/826630/solio-bolt-solar-charger
2) Powerfilm USB/AA - http://www.amazon.com/PowerFilm-USB-AA-Solar-Charger/dp/B001RMBHMK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Have you guys used either of these, or any other ones that you would recommend? The Solio seems to be a more polished, retailed product, and seems that it would work for me, but the Powerfilm seems like it would work a little better, as it can be layed out on top of the handebar dry bag for ultimum sun exposure (http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6171/6204913606_223e74b7c2.jpg) and also uses external batteries instead of the internal battery of the Solio Bolt. The Solio Classic is also out there, but the "3 fin" design of it doesn't seem to work well on a bike.

-Tom
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:09:49 AM by Trhoppe » Logged

Topic Name: Solar Charger for USB? Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 11:38:07 AM
tanslacks

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 11:38:07 AM »

I have used and I am using a Goal Zero. It has worked great for me charging my iPhone and Garmin. The unit I bought comes with a 4 AA battery charger, so you can charge the batteries and then charge your device or you can charge your device directly from the panel. I good sun, it's about 2 and half hours to charge the batteries or make a big dent in charging my phone or garmin.

I strap the panel to my panniers on the rear and have even strapped it onto my stuffed Revelation seat bag. Both ways worked great. I tend to carry eight aa rechargeable batteries always charging a set of four at a time. That way in the evening I recharge whatever device I need to charge.

Here is a link to the Goal Zero site. However I bought it from Amazon for much less. Be sure not to buy the smaller panel at 3.5 watts but at least the 7 watt panel.

http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/79/Guide-10-Adventure-Kit/1:1/

good luck. I am leaving for Death Valley in two days, should be plenty of sun.. yikes

Topic Name: Solar Charger for USB? Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 11:47:37 AM
ImAFred

Big B

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 11:47:37 AM »

Subscribed....very interested to here everyones take on this, been on my mind as well lately.

I dig dirt!

Topic Name: Solar Charger for USB? Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 08:48:04 PM
sfuller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 08:48:04 PM »

I think a lot of what to use is going to depend on where you are at and how long you will be out. Heavy tree cover and overcast skies are going to have a big effect on a solar cells output. I have one of the Powerfilm panels, and used it for a couple of years when doing loaded road touring. I kept it spread out on either my front or rear rack and plugged into my GPS. It worked pretty well, but there were days when the sun didn't come out at all, so that killed it's usefulness.

For a shorter trip, you might want to look at one of the high volume lithium packs like this one on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-iCruiser-IMP1000-Blackberry/dp/B003ZBZ64Q). It could be charged in a convenience store or restaurant along the route.

Topic Name: Solar Charger for USB? Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 08:52:56 PM
Trhoppe

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 08:52:56 PM »

That Solio Bolt is kinda like that. It tries to be a battery and solar charger in one. Maybe it does nothing great?

Topic Name: Solar Charger for USB? Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 02:56:12 AM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 02:56:12 AM »

I bought the Garmin solar/battery combo (for the 800, but it is rebranded Powermonkey unit) for phone and GPS, pretty happy with it. Last year on a week long tour I stuck the unit (pretty light) on my helmet and worked very well. The solar cell panel folds out, has a short lead, and plugs straight into the Li/po battery pack, has adaptors for UBS and mini USB. I think the Powermonkey comes with more adaptor plugs etc. Takes about 18 hours to charge the batt pack from dead flat to full, but I found I could recharge my GPS overnight or phone a few times before the batt pack was depleted, so a daily cycle of charge and recharge device overnight was easy, with margin for poor weather.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Solar Charger for USB? Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 07:20:08 AM
Flounder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 07:20:08 AM »

I've tested and used several of these systems listed above. I think it's pretty clear these days the big winner in solar chargers AND battery systems is Goal Zero. They've just put more time, energy and money into developing and distributing these systems. As the buyer for a big store, I've purchased thousands of dollars in GZ products and have in return heard nothing but rave reviews. I've been using this very compact system:

http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/132/Guide-10-Plus-Mobile-Kit/1:1/

There's two considerations here. Storing power and making power. If I'm going out for just a couple days, I may only take the battery pack. If I'm going out for a few days, I'll take the battery pack and extra pre-charged AA batteries. This sounds clunky, but it's still very light, very compact, can charge your widgets while you sleep, and doesn't require placing a solar panel in the sun.

If however, there are trips where I'll use a lot of juice, or be out for a long time, then I need to produce power and will take the compact panel. I seldom go this route unless I'm going out for four days or more.

The Brunton system I have is complete crap. The Solio is cute, but works like a toy, not a tool. The GZ system is well made, works better than expected and has the cool advantage of being combined with many other useful accessories.

Topic Name: Solar Charger for USB? Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 07:33:39 AM
Trhoppe

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 07:33:39 AM »

Interesting. I found that one after I did my original research. Double the price, but it does seem to have more features. It seems better than the Powerfilm as it uses 4AA batteries, which supplies a 1A 5V charge (that was the advantage of the Solio). The 1A is key as without that you can only charge an iPhone to 50% charge.

You brought up an excellent point that I didn't consider, and what does make the GoalZero seemingly better than Solio. Once you use up the power charge in the Solio, you HAVE to plug it in or charge it solar. With the GoalZero you can bring that extra set of AAs and use those up. So really, for the weight of the battery pack + 2 packs of AAs, you can 2 full charges on your phone. I like that, since as you said, on a 2-3 day trip, you don't even need to bother with solar.

Also, it's more of a multitasker as you can charge AA and AAA.

One question for you, can you chain the battery pack to plug into a device and solar at the same time? For example, can I put that solar panel on the handle bar bag with the battery pack plugged in. Then plug the battery pack into the GPS so it has constant power through the day?

-Tom

Topic Name: Solar Charger for USB? Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 07:38:56 AM
Trhoppe

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 07:38:56 AM »

I take it back on the "double price".

It's at REI for $99, and another 20% coupon lands in a couple of weeks, so make that $80 Smiley Sold!

http://www.rei.com/product/827122/goal-zero-guide-10-plus-mobile-kit

-Tom

Topic Name: Solar Charger for USB? Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 02:09:10 AM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 02:09:10 AM »

One question for you, can you chain the battery pack to plug into a device and solar at the same time? For example, can I put that solar panel on the handle bar bag with the battery pack plugged in. Then plug the battery pack into the GPS so it has constant power through the day?

-Tom

To answer this for the Powermonkey unit, no you cannot charge the battery from the solar panel AND charge a device from the battery at the same time. The powermonkey does have a neat LCD screen to show the level of power though.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Solar Charger for USB? Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 08:14:08 PM
Couloirman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 08:14:08 PM »

I already have a pretty kick butt solar charger for bikepacking, but check this little guy out: http://www.powertrekk.com/

Only weighs about 8 ounces. I wonder if this will be awesome enough to become the de facto standard for the backcountry? Either way, I am stoked to try it out! (no affiliation, just always looking for cool ways of powering devices where there is no power)

Topic Name: Solar Charger for USB? Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 07:27:35 PM
ascar_larkinyar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 07:27:35 PM »

seems like a good idea, just that it's really weak.

6 hours to charge batteries that will only charge your device for one hour.  Sad

but it does run on water.  i mean hydrogen.  the site is very unclear about specs and what you actually put in this device? 

i never trust any site that has hard to read text.  light grey on white? 
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: