Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Camp Shoes? Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 02:50:20 PM
rocbeer

Embrace The Brutality!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 02:50:20 PM »

IMO - Chaco's: way too heavy for bikepacking, Croc's: too bulky and don't fare well in the water, normal/running/tennis/trail shoes: too heavy and dry slowly.

Out of the barefoot running craze, came some pretty cool huarache style sandals.  They're really light, packable, do fine for steam crossings, and let your feet dry out after riding.   Here's some links to a few companies making them, some with DIY kits:

http://xeroshoes.com/shop/

http://lunasandals.com/

http://bedrocksandals.com/

Hope that helps!

Topic Name: Camp Shoes? Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 04:31:02 PM
csm

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 04:31:02 PM »

I had crocs with me while backpacking. I noticed that while they're light, they don't offer much protection under foot. I felt every rock in camp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Topic Name: Camp Shoes? Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 04:43:59 PM
Aslan

Simple, reliable, light

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 04:43:59 PM »

Those Xero sandals look really promising.  I would love to ditch the Chacos and these look like they can cut the weight by almost a pound while still being useful sandals.  That's a big deal.  Thanks for posting.

Topic Name: Camp Shoes? Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 10:28:51 AM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 10:28:51 AM »

I found that the Inov8 gym shoes I got on TheClymb fit super cheap with in at only 8.5oz each. At that weight they are lighter than most sandals, so I'll bring them if I need another set of shoes ever.

Topic Name: Camp Shoes? Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 07:30:06 AM
geekonabike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 07:30:06 AM »

Hi all.  I am a long time lurker but first time poster.  I have tens of thousands of miles of pannier and Bob touring under my belt but I am new to ultra light bike packing.  Anyway, here is my question.  I love my sidi bike shoes for riding but, to put it bluntly, they really suck off the bike.  I weighed my Chacos and running shoes and they are HEAVY.  Both are over 2lbs.   What do you do for a light weight pair of shoes off of the bike.  I am trying to keep my base weight under 14lbs. Should I just suck it up and stay in my sidis the whole trip?  There seems to be a lot of experience here so I look forward to your suggestions.
I bungied a pair of flipflop to the outside of the stuff bag w/ my sleep gear on the fork mounted Anything Cage.

Sent from my A1-810 using Tapatalk

What don't Kill You, only makes You Smell Stronger
  Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: