Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Schmidt SON Dynamo Hubs… HELP on: March 06, 2014, 09:56:07 PM
onebadcat

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2014, 09:56:07 PM »

The idea of producing my own power and not having to seek out power sources every couple days appeals to me. I have been devouring information for weeks trying to figure out if a Schmidt Dynamo will provide me with what I need. Oddly enough I don't care about lights or a phone or my iPod losing charge. My main concern is camera batteries. I admit up front that I know very little about electricity. I do know (now) that a straight USB connection is not going to do the trick. Have been focusing on the Busch & Müller e-Werk as a converter but am not sure what I am looking at for voltage and current needs. I am shooting with a Olympus PEN E-P5 which takes a 7.6V battery and has a two-prong wall charger. Excuse my ignorance but can I just get a female plug, tie it into the system and go?

Other converters? Cache batteries?

Any light you can shed would be greatly appreciated. Need to order my parts ASAP but wondering if this is going to be a viable solution? Don't want to invest big $$ if it won't address my biggest need.

Stressing me out.

Thanks in advance!

Topic Name: Schmidt SON Dynamo Hubs… HELP Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 02:14:01 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 02:14:01 PM »

I was looking for the same solution a while back, I found this:

http://www.multipoweredproducts.com.au/products/Freeloader-Camcaddy-%252d-Universal-Camera-Battery-Charger.html

The freeloader camcaddy, I didn't buy it in the end - a lighter and simpler solution for me was to get a heap more cam batteries to take with me, fully charged before departure. This worked perfectly, even in the depths of an Alaskan winter.

I run a SON 28 hub on my fargo, as well as an e-werk with it dialled in for USB 5volts and 1 amp. I use this power to charge a heap of things via USB.

I'm not certain of the quality of rectification/amplificiation of the 6V output from the hub, to the output of the E-werk, then if there is any current limiting internally with the camcaddy. My cam batts were only 4.8v, so the power math was fine for my application, but your batts being 7.9v, they may only receive a trickle charge. To weigh it up - look at the power consumption of your device, the length of the trip, ambient temps and how they affect battery output and storage capacity and then whether you could pre-charge additional batteries to cover the trip. A lot simpler than fluffing about with chargers and hubs. But unless your trip is months long...

I'm sure you could find a camcaddy nearer to you though. For the price, it's worth a try!

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Schmidt SON Dynamo Hubs… HELP Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 03:42:43 PM
onebadcat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 03:42:43 PM »

I will check that out. The trip I'm hoping to do would definitely be months and if I was loving it maybe years. That's why I am trying to be as certain about my options before I put big $$ into a build. Thanks. I appreciate all the input I can get!

Scott

Topic Name: Schmidt SON Dynamo Hubs… HELP Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 04:53:12 AM
mangoman

Belt+Rohloff'd ECR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 04:53:12 AM »

Running another SON28 on my new ECR. Had one before, and fell in love with 'em. They just work. Flawlessly, in my experience. Mated mine to an eDelux II light. Also a worthy investment.

Topic Name: Schmidt SON Dynamo Hubs… HELP Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 02:57:20 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 02:57:20 PM »

I think the trouble you'll run into is the voltage of your batteries, the hub won't produce sufficient power (voltage and amperage) to provide a good charge. A solution might be more 12V based, if Olympus makes a 12V charger for auto use, you could cobble a solar rig for it all.

Topic Name: Schmidt SON Dynamo Hubs… HELP Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 05:09:13 AM
rolf

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 05:09:13 AM »

Schmidts son 28 + DIY  usb charger is producing  5V for my purposes. My intention is to load my smartphone by bicycling. DIY charger was a worth about 10 dollars. The most expensive part was a glue heat shrink tube to cover tte design.
 The hub was expensive. You can find the schematics easily. Diy usb bicycle hub dynamo charger ...

I have been experimenting in my kitchen today. Both smartphones are loading. Tomorrow next checks are made in outdoor.

Topic Name: Schmidt SON Dynamo Hubs… HELP Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 10:38:09 AM
onebadcat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 10:38:09 AM »

I was looking for the same solution a while back, I found this:

http://www.multipoweredproducts.com.au/products/Freeloader-Camcaddy-%252d-Universal-Camera-Battery-Charger.html

The freeloader camcaddy, I didn't buy it in the end - a lighter and simpler solution for me was to get a heap more cam batteries to take with me, fully charged before departure. This worked perfectly, even in the depths of an Alaskan winter.

I run a SON 28 hub on my fargo, as well as an e-werk with it dialled in for USB 5volts and 1 amp. I use this power to charge a heap of things via USB.

I'm not certain of the quality of rectification/amplificiation of the 6V output from the hub, to the output of the E-werk, then if there is any current limiting internally with the camcaddy. My cam batts were only 4.8v, so the power math was fine for my application, but your batts being 7.9v, they may only receive a trickle charge. To weigh it up - look at the power consumption of your device, the length of the trip, ambient temps and how they affect battery output and storage capacity and then whether you could pre-charge additional batteries to cover the trip. A lot simpler than fluffing about with chargers and hubs. But unless your trip is months long...

I'm sure you could find a camcaddy nearer to you though. For the price, it's worth a try!

Was going to order and test that unit. Went to the site today and noticed this in the FAQs: " Can I charge CamCaddy from a PC or laptop?
• Yes but because a PC USB only delivers 5.5v you will only be able to charge lower voltage batteries up to 5.5v. In most cases this will mean SLR and Camcorder batteries will not be charged if connected via this method."

So it looks like this option is no good for my 7.6V batteries either. Starting to wish I had bought a Sony as their cameras have in-camera USB charging.

Topic Name: Schmidt SON Dynamo Hubs… HELP Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 01:28:18 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 01:28:18 PM »

Yep, I saw that too, but if you can feed the camcaddy with a higher voltage and useful amperage, ie 12V, it will charge.

Topic Name: Schmidt SON Dynamo Hubs… HELP Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 04:32:15 AM
dgjessee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 04:32:15 AM »

Just curious... Is the camera completely locked in? You can pick up some pretty sweet waterproof cameras for relatively cheap online and maybe they have a lesser voltage requirement, thus simplifying your system?

Cycling is not rocket science.

Topic Name: Schmidt SON Dynamo Hubs… HELP Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 08:37:14 AM
onebadcat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 08:37:14 AM »

Yeah, the camera is locked in, about $2000 worth of locked in with lenses. Last time I traveled for a long period I went with a high-end point and shoot and while I liked the photos it restricted me. I love photography so I will at least start with my new set-up. Who knows, weight, energy issues, useage, may have me shipping it home a couple of months into the tour but I really want to try to make it work. I always have the nice point and shoot (with 3.7V batteries) to fall back on.

Scott

Topic Name: Schmidt SON Dynamo Hubs… HELP Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 11:55:36 PM
onebadcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 11:55:36 PM »

Well after more research I have gone from the SON to solar and back to the SON. My solution, for the time being, will be to purchase the PowerMonkey Extreme 12V which is the only USB chargeable 12V out cache battery I have found. I can charge the battery while riding and top off with the small included solar panel when at camp. Unfortunately I haven't found many reviews on that system. If you have experience with that product or have seen it reviewed let me know. Also, if you know of another USB in/12V out cache battery I would be all ears.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Scott

Topic Name: Schmidt SON Dynamo Hubs… HELP Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 05:17:15 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 05:17:15 PM »

I don't think the powermonkey will let you down, pretty robust and well thought out. Your planned system seems pretty simple and reliable. Given that you'd be recharging a cam batt every second day or so, that should give enough time to fully top off the cache batt between the two recharge sources of solar and SON.

Topic Name: Schmidt SON Dynamo Hubs… HELP Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 06:24:36 PM
onebadcat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 06:24:36 PM »

Thanks for the reassurance. Now to get my wheels built. Yee-haw!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: