Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Rain Gear / AZ monsoon riding on: August 05, 2010, 01:23:19 PM
rhino

32xYM

View Profile WWW
« on: August 05, 2010, 01:23:19 PM »

2 part question -

I have some rain gear, and it doesn't appear to breathe very well.  I sweat so much here in Arizona while riding, that I am soaking wet under my rain jacket during the ride.

question 1 - Do I just have low quality rain gear, or does expensive rain gear breathe better and allow you not to be soaking wet while riding.

question 2 - AZ question - During the Monsoons, with temps well over 90 degrees, do you guys wear jackets or just toughen up and get wet.  I ride in the morning with and without jacket and I'm just as wet either way.

thoughts, suggestions, cynical comments?

Topic Name: Rain Gear / AZ monsoon riding Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 03:56:48 PM
A

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 03:56:48 PM »

Hey Rhino. If it's warm and have a chance to dry out later, I would just get wet. I've been drenched the past three weekends, and actually it's been kind of fun (back to my roots in the rain, humidity and mud) Last weekend there was constant drizzle, around 60 deg, and I was still warm enough from moving. You just don't want to be wet when it's about 40 deg. for hypothermia. Obviously you probably won't be sweating when it gets that cold anyway.

Topic Name: Rain Gear / AZ monsoon riding Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 09:23:10 AM
maadjurguer

Sandbagger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 09:23:10 AM »

I did the Turn and Burn ride last weekend and it was around 55 degrees and pouring rain the entire time.  During that time, I was wearing a long sleeve Patagonia capeline2 shirt under a Pearl Izumi rain jacket that does not breath at all, except for a mesh flap panel in the back.  At this temp and humidity...it worked just fine and I did not get steamed inside....but had the temp been a bit more, I would probably have been steamed.

I'd second the get wet comment as long as you know you can dry out, stay out of the wind or are wearing layers that keep you warm when wet.  Outside of that, GoreTex or HyVent (North Face answer to GoreTex) will breath much better than standard riding jackets which are pretty much glorified trash-bags IMO.  I'd love to see more with pit zips at a minimum on all riding jackets which really helps the steam factor......I'm not sure why these are not standard like they are on most ski gear.

Ridin' is just somethin to do until it starts snowin
http://maadjurguer.blogspot.com/

Topic Name: Rain Gear / AZ monsoon riding Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 11:29:35 AM
A

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 11:29:35 AM »

FWIW (Not trying to argue) but I'm pretty sure it was less than 50 deg out there for the T&B, especially at the higher elevations. I was wearing the same exact clothing (unfortunately zero rain gear) as my post above and I was shivering uncontrollably until I made it back to the forest road by the camp. Luckily there was no wind at all. I just know I would've been in real trouble had I not been relatively close to my car with a heater and some dry clothes. I've been making it a point to check and test weather situations as I've been thinking about bikepacking, and these were the temps according to my car (which seems to be pretty accurate).

Anyways I was thinking about just getting a really thin, packable jacket, but now I'm wondering if I should look for a more insulated one that would also feature a more breathable material. I hate being cold, by the way.

Topic Name: Rain Gear / AZ monsoon riding Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 07:02:29 AM
bradh

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 07:02:29 AM »

Anyways I was thinking about just getting a really thin, packable jacket, but now I'm wondering if I should look for a more insulated one that would also feature a more breathable material. I hate being cold, by the way.
Don't get an insulated one, you'll be too hot in that 50 - 55 deg rain.  Get a light breathable one. Most of the high end gear outfitters, like north face & marmot, make one that weighs about 8 oz.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: