Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: pepsi can stove on: January 12, 2009, 04:13:08 PM
devils son in law

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2009, 04:13:08 PM »

Anyone here have directions on making "Scott's Pepsi Can Stove"? I had gotten them from "pcthiker.com" a while back and that site and any info on that particular stove are long gone. It was made of 2 pepsi cans, a top, a bottom and an inner ring meant to work with denatured alcohol. I've found many different plans and will definitely try a few but I really like the one listed above. Thanks!

Topic Name: pepsi can stove Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 05:05:32 PM
YuriB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 05:05:32 PM »

I don't know about the Pepsi stove in particular but I've had great luck with the penny stove. Finding the right Heineken cans can be a bit of a challenge.

http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/penny.html

Topic Name: pepsi can stove Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 07:18:27 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 07:18:27 PM »

Did you see this link here on bikepacking.net?

http://www.bikepacking.net/reviews/stoves/alcohol-stove/

There's a link there to "Tin Man's" pepsi stove.  Supposedly he has made and sold thousands of them, so I figured it was worth the $12 to buy one from him (rather than making my own).  I've been happy with mine.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: pepsi can stove Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 12:07:34 PM
12wheels

Bolder Bikepacking Gear

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 12:07:34 PM »

You can find links to similar designs as well as the ones which influenced his version on this page:
http://zenstoves.net/LinksGeneral-DIY.htm

Marcus Logan's stove is pretty much the same design without the glue or tape and his website has the pictures Scott's description lacks.
http://www.marcuslogan.com/49.html

PEPSI CAN STOVE
by Scott Henderson
[Last modified 19 May 2000]

The Pepsi Can stove is composed of four parts: three pieces made from soda cans and some foil tape. Two soda can bottoms are the exterior pieces. The upper can is turned upside down and fits over the lower can. The center "bowl" of the upper can is cut out making a large hole for easy fuel filling and lighting. Small burner holes are made around the perimeter of the top section. A cylinder made from the wall of a third soda can serves as an interior wall to the stove, thus the stove has a hollow double wall construction like the Trangia. Heat resistant foil tape holds the two exterior pieces together and prevents flame leaks.

Pepsi-Cola Company cans (Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Lipton ice tea, Slice, and Mug root beer) function best for the upper and low sections, although other brands of soda can be used. Why Pepsi? The circular ridge on the bottom of a Pepsi can is narrower than other brands and holds the interior cylinder tightly. The silver colored Pepsi One cans look best because they match the foil tape.

The design is largely influenced by the scout soda can stove described by LaMar Kirby and by the Shane Graber stove. These and other homemade stoves are linked at Ron "Fallingwater" Moak's site.

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS
Stove weight is 10 g (0.35 oz). Pot stand and windscreeen weight are extra. A volume of 30 ml (1 fl oz or 2 Tb) of denatured alcohol will bring 2 cups of water to a rolling boil in about 5 1/2 min and will burn for about 9 min.

ITEMS NEEDED
Parts List

3 Soda cans, 12 fl oz.
3M High Temperature Flue Tape (1.5 in x 5 yd), part #2113NA. Available at hardware and plumbing supply stores for $6 per roll. One roll is enough for 15 stoves, 30 if you conserve tape.

Denatured alcohol.
Parts List (optional)

Glue (Krazy or other quick drying).
Tape (masking or Scotch).

Tools

Push pin or small drill bit, 1 mm (0.04 in) or smaller.
Marking pen, such as Sharpie fine point.
Piece of cardboard with straight edges, about 100 mm x 100 mm (4 x 4 in).
Large drill bit, 5 or 6 mm (7/32 or 1/4).
Metal file, half round.
Strong, sharp scissors for cutting aluminum cans (kitchen scissors).
Ruler, 300 mm (12 in).
Utility knife (the kind with a strong razor blade).
Tools (optional)

Hammer.
Large drill bit, 5 or 6 mm (7/32 or 1/4).
Drill.

Diagonal wire cutters (the kind with a pointed jaw).
Sand paper, 150-300 grit.
Hole punch.
Thin slotted screwdriver.

Topic Name: pepsi can stove Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 12:47:10 PM
Eric

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 12:47:10 PM »

if you go to backpacking light.com's MYOG forum, they have more threads that you can possibly imagine about making stoves like this. Just FYI.

Topic Name: pepsi can stove Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 01:46:28 PM
Carney

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 01:46:28 PM »

+1 for the penny stove. Simple, easy to make, reliable, and cheap.

Still don't like Heineken tho.

Topic Name: pepsi can stove Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 06:52:14 PM
chuckc1971

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 06:52:14 PM »

Everything you ever wanted to know about homemade stoves but were afraid to ask.

http://bplite.com/index.php?sid=ed14517e154bfc51b529e41c834454b2

I bought a "Cobalt" stove from Zelph on there. Very nice and light.

Topic Name: pepsi can stove Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 04:29:40 AM
devils son in law

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 04:29:40 AM »

Thanks for the tips everyone. I've tried a few stoves now and maybe the Pepsi isn't my favorite. I like the idea of a "sideburning" stove as you don't need a stand for your pot. Anyways, it's a good time to tinker and if I make any major break-thrus, you'll be the first to know. The cat food can design works VERY good, no stand, and very fast to construct...10 minutes tops!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: