Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Pearl Izumi X-Alp shoes on: September 04, 2009, 12:12:51 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2009, 12:12:51 PM »

Just currious if any of you have had experience with the pearl izumi x-alp shoe? I'm thinking about getting a pair. Maybe they are better for bikepacking than a race shoe.

Phil

Topic Name: Pearl Izumi X-Alp shoes Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 01:40:42 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 01:40:42 PM »

I noticed about 4 or 5 pairs of 'em on the CTR this year.  I wore a pair myself for the CTR and the AZT-300 too.  They are a great bikepacking shoe, especially when there is a fair amount of hike-a-bike involved. 

Mine have a plastic or nylon shank in them (new ones and demos may have carbon fiber), and they are pretty flexy.  Almost flexy enough to run in, but that's really pushing it.  The first thing I noticed in them is how I can "feel" my pedal or where the pedal makes contact through the sole.  Initially, this gave me the impression of inefficiency compared to a stiff race shoe, but the sensation pretty much disappears after you pedal for an hour or two.

I've never gotten numb toes from nerve pressure after a few days in these shoes like I have in stiffer ones.  That, combined with the hike-ability is the sole (icon_biggrin) reason for choosing these shoes.  For short (< 12 hours) rides, I still tend to prefer a stiffer shoe.  Unless I'm riding slick rock in Moab, then rubber soles just rule!

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Topic Name: Pearl Izumi X-Alp shoes Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 05:56:15 PM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 05:56:15 PM »

I have a pair.  On the SS they don't work at all - the flexy sole puts a big fat hotspot in my foot and at the 2 hour mark things go numb.  Great for walking though Wink

Topic Name: Pearl Izumi X-Alp shoes Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 11:23:44 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 11:23:44 PM »

icon_scratch
I have a pair.  On the SS they don't work at all - the flexy sole puts a big fat hotspot in my foot and at the 2 hour mark things go numb.  Great for walking though Wink

Yeah, I can totally see that if you're out of the saddle a bunch and really putting the torque into the pedals rather than spinning.  Probably even the same feeling with gears in a 2 hour XC race, eh?  But for long, long spins, strangely enough the flexiness did seem to allow for just enough foot motion to keep my toes awake.

These would be the perfect 12-hour Moab Adventure Race Shoe.  Paddle in 'em, pedal in 'em, run for an hour through sand in 'em, scramble some slickrock and rappel in 'em, then ride in 'em some more.  I've been known to wear mine around the office on occasion too.

It's funny when you think about it, buying a bike shoe because it's a good hiking shoe!   icon_scratch

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Topic Name: Pearl Izumi X-Alp shoes Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 05:16:16 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 05:16:16 AM »

It's funny when you think about it, buying a bike shoe because it's a good hiking shoe!   icon_scratch

Only for your race Stefan, it's got me thinking outside the box Smiley

Lynda has a pair of the x-alps and loves them - she wears them so much they are beginning to break down.  For myself, they just don't fit quite right.  I have narrow feet and my forefoot slides outwards, putting pressure on the side of the foot.  They feel great walking and I so wanted to like them...the Lake 190s are turning out to a good shoe.  Heavy but traction is great and the fit is good.

Nothing is as good as the Specialized comps though.  They are just a hair flexier than the carbon model and more tolerable on foot, but rock solid while pedalling.

Topic Name: Pearl Izumi X-Alp shoes Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 09:59:33 PM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 09:59:33 PM »

I was hoping the PI's would be stiff enough for SS, at the same time comfortable to walk in. I'll have to try the Lake's. I can't do the Specialized's, my knees hurt when I wear them on long rides, my left foot tilts sideways when pedaling causing presure in my left knee. I guess the shoe thing is all about what fits you best, so I'll have to do some experimenting.
Thanks for the insights though!

Happy trails!

Phil

Topic Name: Pearl Izumi X-Alp shoes Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 02:44:41 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 02:44:41 AM »

I solved a knee wobble issue with custom inserts. Might want to check out a bike fit and have them work on your feet. Mine are instaprints or something and they replaced the insoles in my Sidi road shoes.

I wear some specialized for FG riding (mostly dirt road and some mild single track) on my flat barredf FG cross bike and haven't needed the inserts.

Topic Name: Pearl Izumi X-Alp shoes Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 08:10:45 AM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 08:10:45 AM »

The specialized shoes I have are okay, they just don't fit me great. But all be darned if the AZT 300 alone didn't pretty much kill the soles. I'm still using them but rubber is coming off at an alarming rate.

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: Pearl Izumi X-Alp shoes Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 11:10:51 AM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 11:10:51 AM »

I think I'll just keep my Gearne race shoes, I did some hike-a-biking today and they were okay.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: