Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Padded shorts on: March 01, 2017, 10:20:47 AM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2017, 10:20:47 AM »

Hi guys,

Wondering if you have recommendations for padded shorts good for a full day in the saddle. I have a pair of really nice Velocio bib shorts, but the bib aspect makes them a real pain in the butt when nature calls. I also find the straps cause a fair amount of fatigue over the course of several days, and even some chafing problems if I don't have an undershirt on. All this adds up to them being ok for medium length single day rides in the shoulder seasons, when I want a bit more layers, but really not great in the heat of summer. I also have some clip in MTB short liners, but found the pad to be sub-par for extended rides. The foam seems to compress after several hours of riding.

I often wear overshorts, so I'm open to suggestions for anything from "padded underwear" to things that could theoretically be worn alone. Bonus points for shorts that are nice and cool for summer, and easy to keep clean on multi-day trips.

Topic Name: Padded shorts Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 08:59:39 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 08:59:39 AM »

Have you tried unpadded shorts? I made the jump away from chamois completely. On long hot days, everything keeps much cooler.

Topic Name: Padded shorts Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 09:37:35 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 09:37:35 AM »

Last year made the switch to unpadded and used Icebreaker zone shorts. They were awesome for single speeding (more standing), cool dry, no sores, did the AZT300 with them, loved it for the heat with some Dakine light weight over shorts. CTR last year, add a heavier pack and more sitting (rode it geared) lead to deadly butt pain. Got some cheap Club Ride padded shorts in Leadville.
After the race I asked around a bit and got the Desoto 400 mile shorts for this year. Weird going back to such a thick pad, especially for hike a bike sections but with a regular dose of chamois cream things have been good so far, including some bikepacking down in Arizona last month. I'll report back in April after this years AZT to see if they're keepers or not.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Padded shorts Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 09:58:56 AM
harryonaspot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 09:58:56 AM »

I am a wool boxer guy. I think the secret to making it work is a leather seat. I am on a north to South tour of the Americas. 5000 miles later I am still happy with my choice

Topic Name: Padded shorts Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 11:36:04 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 11:36:04 AM »

Not to derail the OP... But I am also exclusively on leather saddles now.

Topic Name: Padded shorts Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 01:40:59 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 01:40:59 PM »

Leather is key. Always.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Padded shorts Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 03:59:33 PM
Alpinist112

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 03:59:33 PM »

Not for boxers ...  headbang

Zoran

Advocate Cycles Hyduke

Topic Name: Padded shorts Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 04:02:30 PM
Alpinist112

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 04:02:30 PM »

I bike in microfiber underwear from Costco. I also have one merino wool boxers from RAB. Both options are good. I don't use padded shorts on my Brooks Swift saddle.

Zoran

Advocate Cycles Hyduke

Topic Name: Padded shorts Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 04:56:47 PM
harryonaspot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 04:56:47 PM »

Wool is best because after a few days it still doesn't smell like my butt!

Topic Name: Padded shorts Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 02:07:05 AM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 02:07:05 AM »

I know everyone loves their Brooks, but I've heard lots of bad results from lighter riders. At 145, I'm not sure I'd really break it in enough. I'm also super bony, which doesn't help. I know it is different, but I tried the Cambium saddle. It was wonderful until roughly the 30 mile marker for several rides, but setting out on a 250mi 2 day ride, I spent the remaining 220mi in extreme pain.

The last time I went fat bike packing this winter I wore unpadded insulated tights with wool boxer briefs under. That was pretty successful. Maybe I'll give that a go on some medium/long day rides and see how that goes.

Topic Name: Padded shorts Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 07:16:26 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 07:16:26 AM »

I use a Chromag Trail Master LTD for my mountain bike. For touring Brooks never really worked for me either, I preferred Selle Anatomica.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Padded shorts Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 08:21:00 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 08:21:00 AM »

I know everyone loves their Brooks, but I've heard lots of bad results from lighter riders. At 145, I'm not sure I'd really break it in enough. I'm also super bony, which doesn't help. I know it is different, but I tried the Cambium saddle.

Might try a Selle Anatomica. Their leather is pliable. The only downside is that the rails bend on heavier riders.

Topic Name: Padded shorts Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 07:07:36 PM
Smithhammer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 07:07:36 PM »

I've been using padded shorts less and less as well. Often just merino briefs with overshorts, usually with a Brooks. Regardless of maker, proper saddle fit is key. I'm becoming more and more convinced that the additional sweat/salt crystal buildup that happens inside clammy, padded shorts contributes to chafing, esp. on long/multi-day rides.

"Just because no one is complaining doesn't mean all the parachutes worked."

- Benny Hill

Topic Name: Padded shorts Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 03:33:49 PM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 03:33:49 PM »

...I'm becoming more and more convinced that the additional sweat/salt crystal buildup that happens inside clammy, padded shorts contributes to chafing, esp. on long/multi-day rides.

Agree! Doubly so if you're a sweat hog.

I've stopped using any sort of pad for mountain biking on any ride. Selle Anatimica Titanico X, WTB Silverado.

Topic Name: Padded shorts Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 07:13:19 PM
ArisaemaDracontium

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 07:13:19 PM »

Are you guys with sweaty crotches running just straight Lycra padded shorts or some sort of MTB baggy over-short thing?

I've found that traditional lycra with padding, synthetic or chamois, to work great in all but the hottest weather. When you put those baggies on-top is when it gets uncomfortable. I reserve the stylish baggy shorts for days its 75F or cooler or for less intense riding.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:42:23 AM by ArisaemaDracontium » Logged

Topic Name: Padded shorts Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 01:25:05 PM
Shindig

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 01:25:05 PM »

I use pearl izumi  triathlon shorts. These have much less padding than cycling shorts and are designed to for cycling, swimming and running all in the same event without chafing. Have used for a year now and very happy with them.

Edit: to add, I usually wear them under baggy MTB shorts unless I'm on the cyclocross bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Padded shorts Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 07:50:47 PM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 07:50:47 PM »

That is a good point Arisaema. I hadn't really thought about that, but you are totally right. Adding insulation, even if it is just a pair of shorts, on top of an article of clothing that was intended to be worn alone, isn't going to do you any favors.

I just really don't like wearing padded shorts without overshorts unless I'm in some crazy high intensity race type ride where every gram counts. I don't see any reason why I should be subjecting people to seeing me in my underwear. Besides, I swear you get considerably better customer service when you pull into a small town corner store when you look slightly more like a normal person than a lycra clad cyclo-jerk.

But now that you point that out, I may take a slightly different approach when it is super hot out. Maybe I'll bring a pair of super light sports shorts to throw on just outside of town if I'm planning to stop, and wear just padded shorts the rest of the time.

Topic Name: Padded shorts Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 12:03:24 PM
ArisaemaDracontium

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 12:03:24 PM »

There are definitely baggy shorts out there that are complete outer/liner pieces designed for warmer weather or more vigorous riding. They tend to have a very thin fabric for the 'lycra' part, sometimes its even mesh-like, and the outer baggy part is a lighter fabric as well. I suspect they wouldn't be great for bushwhacking, but fine for most conditions. I almost picked some up myself last fall when they were on clearance.

But I'm not too shy about just wearing lycra. When I started riding you were either wearing cut-off jeans or lycra. If you were serious about riding (in general or that particular day) you were just wearing lycra. Especially when in the backcountry, I don't care what other people think of what I'm wearing. I'm coming around to being more fashionable with baggy shorts, especially on social rides, but I've just become so fond of bibs... its hard to go back to something less comfortable.

Topic Name: Padded shorts Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 08:13:02 AM
bakerjw

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 08:13:02 AM »

I usually wear 2 pieces of unpadded Lycra. One layer leaves way too much to the imagination. I have found when out road cycling that is is a lot cooler down below when I get off of the saddle and let things breathe.

When I am out bikepacking or on endurance rides, I usually wear baggies. The pockets give me more places to stow small items to keep them accessible.

Topic Name: Padded shorts Reply #19 on: April 04, 2017, 11:42:33 AM
ArisaemaDracontium

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2017, 11:42:33 AM »

I've ridden with two pairs of PADDED shorts before, a little warm for sure, but helped get my tender tant through a couple hard days.

I can't deny the convenience of pockets in a pair of baggy shorts.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: