Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Nutrition and water over long distances travelling light. on: August 18, 2015, 12:21:20 PM
floatlikeabutterfly

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2015, 12:21:20 PM »

Hi.
I'm new to bike packing but am not new to mountain biking. Have been riding for a long time now and want to do an epic trans alp route from Geneva to Trieste then maybe turn round and follow the via alpina to Monaco.

My question is what do people buy to resupply for breakfast and evening meal after your initial supplies dwindle?

I'm going to travel light, with an albeit saddle bag, my 30 litre evoc trail bag, and my tent on my handle bars, so space is at a premium.

I'm travelling light as for me riding the trails not the journey is the most important part.

I have done a few multi day alpine rides staying in refuges, and eating lunch in alpine towns but when looking at 6-8weeks of journey that method would prove quite expensive.

I have been reading alot on here and backpackinglight.com but have struggled to find my sorts of answers as most people tend to do a week of so trips unless doing epics like trans continental or continental divide routes.

Thanks for your time.
Smiley

Topic Name: Nutrition and water over long distances travelling light. Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 06:07:50 PM
geekonabike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 06:07:50 PM »

Think dehydrated foods when waters readily available. Dense fat & calories like peanutbutter & honey are good. Jerky doesn't take up much room & keeps well. A lot depends on what available at your resupply points.
 I've notice backpackers often leave great food in the share freely boxs at hostels.

What don't Kill You, only makes You Smell Stronger

Topic Name: Nutrition and water over long distances travelling light. Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 06:43:11 AM
vikb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 06:43:11 AM »

A lot depends on what available at your resupply points.

Yup. Just look at each resupply point as a mini-adventure in figuring out what to buy and pack. I tend to let my cravings guide me and the size of my pack/bags keep things sane.

Depending how long until the next resupply point I'll eat a double meal and basically just carry snacks to get me to my next mega meal.

Topic Name: Nutrition and water over long distances travelling light. Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 07:58:31 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 07:58:31 AM »

6-8weeks of journey that method would prove quite expensive.

Asked and answered right there, Light, Fast, Cheep, pick 2.

Not sure how things work over there but to go fast and light here means buying what you need along the way and yes that can get pricey. The only other option the I am aware of is mail drops. But you can only ship yourself non perishables and that may not be much less in the end.

Topic Name: Nutrition and water over long distances travelling light. Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 12:26:44 PM
floatlikeabutterfly

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 12:26:44 PM »

Thanks. That's great.

Topic Name: Nutrition and water over long distances travelling light. Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 07:41:20 AM
dave

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 07:41:20 AM »

http://www.bikepacking.com/plog/bikepacking-meal-planning-foodpacking-1/

I'm a fan of Eszter's ideas on there, particularly.  I tried using instant oatmeal as breakfast on the Colorado Trail and had the worst riding day of my life, so never doing that again.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: