Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: new wheels, ss vs Internal gear.. on: September 26, 2009, 12:27:55 PM
tomimcmillar

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2009, 12:27:55 PM »

finished building my new wheels, thought I'd throw some data points up here...

SS wheel: White Ind Eno hub, DT Comp 2.0/1.8, Bontrager Duster rim, 19t Eno fw:  2 lb 11oz.

IGH wheel: Alfine 501, DT straight 2.0, Bontrager Duster rim, 20t cog:  5lb 6oz.

Add in the shifty bits and looks like about a 3lb gain to go from single to 8sp internal. 

Then factor in the weight loss due to changing from the OMM rack to the freshy fresh Epic bag system,
will probably see a net gain of 2ish lbs. 

2lbs for less hiking, less blowed up calves/achilles while keeping a clean, direct chainline?
I'll take it.   thumbsup

Topic Name: new wheels, ss vs Internal gear.. Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 06:50:44 AM
John G

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 06:50:44 AM »

I've had similar thoughts for a while, but haven't done anything about it.  Keep us updated on how the alfine holds up.

Topic Name: new wheels, ss vs Internal gear.. Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 05:28:29 PM
tomimcmillar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 05:28:29 PM »

project is shelved for now, maybe until spring....might just sell it.
sick of dealing with Shimano nickel and dime bullshit.  BangHead

Topic Name: new wheels, ss vs Internal gear.. Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 08:38:33 PM
alpka

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 08:38:33 PM »

Care to elaborate Tomi?

Topic Name: new wheels, ss vs Internal gear.. Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 04:31:24 AM
John G

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 04:31:24 AM »

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=520896

Topic Name: new wheels, ss vs Internal gear.. Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 04:39:44 AM
tomimcmillar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 04:39:44 AM »

elaboration:

http://tomi-mcmillar.blogspot.com/2009/09/gods-have-spoken.html

this would be the fourth back n forth I'll go thru just to get it up and running, I've had enough for now.

Topic Name: new wheels, ss vs Internal gear.. Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 05:17:59 AM
tomimcmillar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 05:17:59 AM »

more details....

here's the Shimano web page for the hub: 
http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/0/alfine/product.-code-SG-S500.-type-.html

In the picture, they show the assembled hub...the cog, the cassette joint, the nuts, the no turn washers, a complete unit....but you don't get any of that with the hub.  When you order the hub, you get just the hub, nothing more.

So, in addition to the hub, you also need to order the following separately:

The Cog, understandable, pick the gear you want, 18 or 20.
The shifter, understandable, twist or trigger, your choice.

And you will also need to order the following, which Shimano may or may not clue you in on when you talk to them on the phone, and which I feel should all be included with the hub, since, you know, all of these parts are needed in order to use the damn thing:

Cog snap ring: #Y-321 20100
Driver cap: #Y-74Y 18000
Cassette Joint: CJ-8S20 *(see below)
Cassette JointFixing Ring: Y-33Z 98020
Inner Cable Fixing Bolt Unit: Y-74Y 98030
Non Turn Washer 8R: Y-34R 85010 (for vertical dropout)
Non Turn Washer 8L: Y-34R 85000 (for vertical dropout)
(2) Axle Cap Nuts: Y-314 14010

Now, Shimano may pull a fast one on you and send you the CJ-8S40 Cassette Joint instead of the CJ-8S20, and if they do, you will also need to make sure you have the following:

Outer Casing Holder Unit: Y-74Y 98160
Which consists of the following:
Rubber Cover: Y-74Y 27000
Outer Casing Holder: Y-74Y 28000
Rubber Bellows: Y-74Y 30200

First I ordered the hub, it arrived, we opened the box...Uhmmm, where are the axle nuts?
So then I had to order the small parts kit, was assured that that was everything I'd need, uhmm, wrong.  I got home and realized I still had to round up the cog snap ring since it wasn't included in any of the other orders.  And now I have to either return the 8S40 hanger and get an 8S20, or round up the Outer Casing Holder Unit, since that was not included with the 8S40, even though it is essential to have those particular bits in order for the 8S40 to function.

This is the nickel and dime bullshit I'm talking about, yet another trip to the bike shop and more back n forth on the phone, talk about a hassle.  Now, what happens down the road if I actually need to repair this effin' thing???

Topic Name: new wheels, ss vs Internal gear.. Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 08:12:45 PM
alpka

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 08:12:45 PM »

elaboration:

http://tomi-mcmillar.blogspot.com/2009/09/gods-have-spoken.html

this would be the fourth back n forth I'll go thru just to get it up and running, I've had enough for now.

Any if you out there who have not read this rant are in for a treat.  You really let fly Tomi-sorry Shimano jerked you around so completely.  BUT, it is definitely making me think they won't be getting my money...

Topic Name: new wheels, ss vs Internal gear.. Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 04:28:39 AM
tomimcmillar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 04:28:39 AM »

hey, that rant actually did some good, beyond online entertainment.   headbang

friend of a friend who works for Shimano was directed to my posting and did some digging...sounds like, but not an 'official word' from the inside guy, my shop was sold the OEM version of the hub, which is why it's coming together in such a piecemeal fashion.  Whoever took the order dropped the ball and sent the shop the hub that's used by bike manufacturers, not the aftermarket version...I guess the aftermarket version includes all the little bits you need for it to be functional.  Shimano did drop the ball on the whole deal, by selling the shop the OEM parts, but not sure how that's avoided if ordering direct, I have yet to find parts numbers for an 'aftermarket' version of the hub & parts.....

I did also find that Sheldon Brown/Harris Cyclery sells the hub w/ a complete parts kit, also as a prebuilt wheel...don't know if they get hub & kit as a package from Shimano, or if they buy all the little OEM parts then repackage them in house, still some grey area there.

So, if you're wanting to try it out, and prefer to shop locally, take that list of parts I have listed above and make sure they get you everything at once, and have 'em double check w/ the highly skilled phone people at Shimano...

and here's a good source for internal gear info:  http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/

Topic Name: new wheels, ss vs Internal gear.. Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 07:08:02 AM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 07:08:02 AM »

Why does Shimano exclusively get the beat down?  What service (or lack of service) did your local shop provide?  They were the middleman, where is their value added service and effort to make good to their customer?   

Yes, it appears that the Shimano literature is misleading, but the dealer (bike shop) is the entity that should resolve the end-use customer issues.

Thankfully, this is the first time in history a big company's literature was misleading and a customer got the wrong parts icon_biggrin

In the scheme of things, I find your rant a bit over the top.   We are talking about bike parts....

Topic Name: new wheels, ss vs Internal gear.. Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 02:36:14 PM
tomimcmillar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 02:36:14 PM »

that's what ranting is about, over the top.

sad2

icon_biggrin
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: