Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: New bike. Advice. on: September 28, 2018, 11:19:48 AM
Sebster

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2018, 11:19:48 AM »

I'm new to bikepacking. I need a bike and I'm looking into a Jones LWB. But there are so many other options. I was also thinking of the SURLY ECR or Bombtrack beyond+ADV.  I want a comfortable bike where I will sit more upright than a standard mtb because i get a stiff neck, hands and shoulders. Any advice?

Topic Name: New bike. Advice. Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 08:36:59 AM
KittyOnMyFoot

Forest Dweller

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 08:36:59 AM »

I can't speak to specific brands, but looking for much the same thing in a new bike, here's how I went about it. I wanted a dropper post set up so that at max height, I'm "fit" with the bike in terms of leg extension. At the other end of the spectrum, I wanted as much throw as possible for different geometry options, so I got the longest I could find (13" or so). Based on this, I needed a bike with a frame that 1) had the geometry that would fit me with the post at max height but still allow the post to fully descend, and 2) had a straight enough length of down tube to fit all that throw.

A Specialized Stumpjumper FSR fit this bill for me (wasn't easy to find a full-suspension bike with a straight enough down tube for the full throw of this dropper post, but the geometry is perfect). What I sacrificed for this (until I figure it out) is the ability to mount a solid front rack (mostly because it uses a Maxle, but I'm not sure I'd trade this for "easy" front racks, since I have a rear rack that covers most of what I need, and I love the Maxle).

There's also no seat bag with a dropper post (or I'll bury the bag into the rear tire when I go down), so I use a rear rack. The rear rack in this case does several other critical things:
  • Eliminates brake judder (by breaking the harmonics of the seat stay). I don't know if you've heard of this, but the sort of bike I have appears to be very prone to this, and mine had it bad. This totally cured it.
  • When I'm in a particularly steep chute, even with my seat all the way down, I may hang back over my rear tire. The rack keeps the crotch of my shorts off the wheel, so I don't have to "float" over it. I don't sit on it, but it's very easy to get my weight as far back as I can without having the rear wheel grab my shorts.
  • It works as a rear fender (more to keep gunk from spraying onto the back of the dropper post than on me, but still).
  • It obviously lets me carry a bunch of gear in a set of panniers. My tool pouch is a flat, rectangular thing that (not coincidentally) fits perfectly on the top of the rack. This was one of the steps I took in getting away from a backpack (hydration pack eventually went into a handlebar bag and now my back is free, but that's a different story), and I can still drop my seat unhindered.

Other than frame geometry options like this, you're probably looking more at the handlebar style than anything else for alternate riding form (especially getting yourself more upright)?

Topic Name: New bike. Advice. Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 04:04:29 PM
Sebster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 04:04:29 PM »

Thanks! I had not put much thought about a drop post or racks yet but what you say makes sense I think. I've purely been looking at frame geometry so far and I'm pretty settled on a rigid. Thanks again for the info. I'll definitely think about the post and rack.

Topic Name: New bike. Advice. Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 01:43:31 AM
RonK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 01:43:31 AM »

I want a comfortable bike where I will sit more upright than a standard mtb because i get a stiff neck, hands and shoulders.
So you need a bike with a tall stack dimension and a short reach dimension.  The Salsa Fargo is the benchmark for this. Flat bar bikes have a longer reach dimension so be aware of this if comparing drop bar bikes with flat bar bikes.
Jones geometry is a little unusual but you will also be able to achieve an upright position.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Topic Name: New bike. Advice. Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 08:24:27 PM
Sebster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 08:24:27 PM »

So you need a bike with a tall stack dimension and a short reach dimension.  The Salsa Fargo is the benchmark for this. Flat bar bikes have a longer reach dimension so be aware of this if comparing drop bar bikes with flat bar bikes.
Jones geometry is a little unusual but you will also be able to achieve an upright position.
I was looking at the Fargo and it does look pretty awesome. I'm concerned that it comes with drop bars (not my cup of tea, and don't the drops defeat the purpose of an upright geometry?

I'm wondering if putting jones bars on a fargo would make sense. I feel that a bike designed for a certain type of bars should probably keep similar bars right?

Topic Name: New bike. Advice. Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 07:30:52 PM
Houndog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 07:30:52 PM »

I've seen hundreds of very positive reviews on the Jones bikes , i wouldn't hesitate to get one .

Topic Name: New bike. Advice. Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 08:18:39 AM
Christ D.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 08:18:39 AM »

Pretty happy with my Brother Cycles , Big Bro.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: