Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Musette bags for bikepacking? on: January 22, 2014, 06:00:03 PM
ScottyJ

View Profile WWW
« on: January 22, 2014, 06:00:03 PM »

I really hate carrying a backpack but sometimes need a little extra space. the three pockets in my jersey get full pretty quickly and sometimes I just want some extra space for small things like food. I've been experimenting recently with some basic musettes. And a couple I messed around with.

Has anybody else been trying this?

I'll post some pictures of my prototype this evening.

Rad!
Nah bro, Totally tubular!

Topic Name: Musette bags for bikepacking? Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 09:13:47 AM
trebor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 09:13:47 AM »

Made one for my first TD attempt. It worked, but inevitably would rotate around my body and hang in front. Then my knees would hit it. It worked but could at times be very annoying. Second time around I used the uber light Sea to Summit day pack for those times when a little more space was needed.
http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/86

Rob Roberts

Topic Name: Musette bags for bikepacking? Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 09:47:06 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 09:47:06 AM »

those sea to summit packs look great.

for short trips i've been using my wingnut hyper nearly empty, using it to camel up as needed. typically the only thing in it (for summer trips) is my phone, wallet, spot, etc. i toss layers in it if needed. its nice to have capacity in town for food / water heading to camp.

Topic Name: Musette bags for bikepacking? Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 10:19:29 AM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 10:19:29 AM »

I have used a musette a few times for commuting but never for bikepacking.  They're ok for a shorter ride across town but I wouldn't want to ride all day with one.

I have a small super-light day pack (similar to Trebor's) that works well.  I only pull it out when needed it and it can be easily rolled up and stashed when not needed.

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: Musette bags for bikepacking? Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 02:03:52 PM
ScottyJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 02:03:52 PM »

Here are some images of my second prototype hacked together from an old stuffsack and some random straps and buckles.
I've been messing around with the design for a few weeks now and had the same problem you did Trebor, so I added a side strap to keep the bag from rotating around my body.
Then the stuff was still flopping around alot so I made a new one just a bit shorterand with a dual mount side strap from a broken helmet
Then I had my stuff fall out a couple times while descending so I added a zipper.

The current iteration weighs 40 grams and I agree it's not ideal for the kind of load which would normally be in a backpack but it's working pretty well as a 'fourth pocket'. Pretty comfy for any load up to 5 pint cans.

* Musette 1.JPG (189.25 KB, 640x480 - viewed 661 times.)

* Musette 2.JPG (153.81 KB, 640x480 - viewed 651 times.)

Rad!

Topic Name: Musette bags for bikepacking? Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 01:06:41 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 01:06:41 AM »

+1 on the sea to summit.
Have thoughts of making a little smaller cuben version without a zipper to tuck away for longer stretches between re ups.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Musette bags for bikepacking? Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 10:21:45 AM
MidSouth

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 10:21:45 AM »

I usually take a RikSak along.  Mostly just carry along empty, but is handy for picking up extra food, water, or beer to take to camp in the evening.  Weighs less that 3 oz.

http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpacks/riksak.html

Topic Name: Musette bags for bikepacking? Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 03:52:19 AM
Racingguy04

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 03:52:19 AM »

I have the sea to summit bag for when I think I may need some extra space, and I love it. It's not the best bag for riding with heavy loads, but it's so small and light! I've only used it on the bike a couple of times (it was a christmas present) but I figure if I'm out and need more space for food, I can put some light things in the pack, and put the food in a bag on the frame.

I wouldn't discourage you from making/designing your own, but it would take me longer and cost me more than $30 in fabric/supplies to try and make something similar to the sea to summit bag.

Topic Name: Musette bags for bikepacking? Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 10:33:27 AM
ScottyJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 10:33:27 AM »

Hi Guys,
I spent the weekend in the Los Padres Nat'l forest and used this bag in the afternoons to carry water and snacks to the campsites. It worked way better than my old system (http://i.stpost.com/product~p~4184W_01~460.3.jpg).

I maxed out the volume with three liters of water and a couple of little things (wallet, keys & phone) but the ability to carry the load a little lower on my back made it much more comfortable than the little backpack I had previously.

If I had to buy all the parts it would have cost about $10 in raw materials but I already had this stuff lying around.

If you're close to being able to leave the backpack at home but occasionally need a little extra volume I can strongly recommend trying this out.

http://distilleryimage8.s3.amazonaws.com/c02b77128a6611e3a4690e6a90eb8fb0_6.jpg

http://distilleryimage2.s3.amazonaws.com/37e0918e8b8e11e39e3812c048d57f22_6.jpg

Rad!

Topic Name: Musette bags for bikepacking? Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 12:03:06 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 12:03:06 PM »

I stitched up a quick 4th pocket from an old (single) knee warmer and straps from an old helmet, Velcro on the opening. Works a treat, the fabric stretches a fair bit to accommodate bulky fruit as well. simple shoulder strap and waist strap with clip to keep it in place.

recycling old stuff into DIY makes it kinda cool too.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Musette bags for bikepacking? Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 01:36:28 PM
MattL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 01:36:28 PM »

I took a cotton musette bag with me on the TD for overflow usage.  You can buy one like this at http://www.velo-retro.com/musette.html, or maybe make something from an old shirt or pair of jeans.

Most commonly, mine would hold extra food and a little gatorade right out of town entering a long stretch.  Entering the Basin, I had it heavily loaded with gatorade bottles.  When it was empty, I would stash it in the frame bag.

It worked great until I lost it.  In New Mexico I bought a cheap backpack like http://www.a-plasticbag.com/images/totes-backpacks-colors.jpg at a dollar store and used that the same way until the end.

The musette worked better than the pack, and I preferred the extra rigidity and tacky texture of the cotton to slippery, sweaty synthetics.

I finished the 2013 TD.  I did the whole damn thing,
excluding the 2013 detours, in good style and—as
far as I know—totally in accordance with the rules.

Topic Name: Musette bags for bikepacking? Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 01:42:25 PM
Smo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 01:42:25 PM »

What about a fanny pack?  I used to make fun of them until I realized how good they are for climbing.  Easy to rotate around yourself for quick access without taking it off, keeps your back free and nimble, etc.  I could see a similar usefulness for bikepacking.  I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to make a climbing-specific one that'll do double duty for biking . . . whenever I get a break from making bags for customers.  We'll see when that happens.

Nick Smolinske, Rogue Panda Designs custom bikepacking gear

Topic Name: Musette bags for bikepacking? Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 04:22:31 PM
macr237

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 04:22:31 PM »

How a
I really hate carrying a backpack but sometimes need a little extra space. the three pockets in my jersey get full pretty quickly and sometimes I just want some extra space for small things like food. I've been experimenting recently with some basic musettes. And a couple I messed around with.

I am considering one of the Wingnut gear backpacks. Most likely a Hyper 2.5 or 3.

Topic Name: Musette bags for bikepacking? Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 02:54:06 AM
PeteStaehling

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 02:54:06 AM »

I have used the Sea to Summit, the REI Flash 18, and a Mountainsmith fanny pack for various trips and all worked well in the manner I used them.  I try to keep the load on my back very light, but when I needed to carry water there I managed OK with the Flash.

Topic Name: Musette bags for bikepacking? Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 09:31:37 AM
HOser

Too busy looking good

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 09:31:37 AM »

I also highly recommend the Sea to Summit bag, it works great for me as temporary space for food when rolling through town. It collapses to smaller than a tennis ball using the included stuff sack, very nice. The draw cord on the stuff sack makes it easy to hang the collapsed bag from one of the straps on my Revelate seat bag (one less thing to make room for inside a bag). Nice color options too.

As per the previous post, the REI Flash 18 is also great. This is my go-to backpack when I have light but bulky stuff (e.g. clothes) to carry on a long day ride that doesn't warrant a seat bag. It's also a pretty decent option for a partially full bladder. E.g. if I need a bit more than 100 oz of water for a long day ride, I'll put a 100 oz bladder in my frame bag then maybe 30 - 50 oz in a bladder in my Flash 18, making sure to drink this water first. Comfortable enough even with techy riding, works great.

Topic Name: Musette bags for bikepacking? Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 07:02:32 PM
bekologist

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 07:02:32 PM »

i bring one to carry food from stores sometimes.

tie them short, and sling them high on the center of the back like a messenger bag usually keeps them in place if you're not moving around too much.

Take the other way.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: