Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Mounting a Tubus Disco to a Singular Swift on: November 11, 2010, 01:51:45 PM
wunnspeed

SpoK Werks - Handmade Cycling Goods

View Profile WWW
« on: November 11, 2010, 01:51:45 PM »

Hey gang... my first post here.

I have, seemingly wrongly, been informed that a Tubus Disco rack will fit on a Singular Swift. From various website, catalogs, etc. I've seen that it fit 26" & 28" (German for 29'ers) so I bought one because it was supposed to work well with disc brakes. Now, after too much time fiddling and received a rather snotty email from Tubus that the Disco only fits 26" bikes. Has anyone managed to make it work or did I actually blow 75+ Euros on a worthless rack because of false info.?  BangHead

Thanks for anything you can give me.

Michael Cleveland - SpoK Werks bikepacking gear
SpoK Werks Etsy
SpoK Werks FB
Big Wheel Racing Europe

Topic Name: Mounting a Tubus Disco to a Singular Swift Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 12:46:05 AM
boddunn

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 12:46:05 AM »

Hi,
 I'd take Tubus' advice at face value, their website says it's for 26" wheels. Having said that I've found fitting standard racks to disk brake equipped bikes no problem at all as long as you can shim the disk brake side which is easily done by using a 5mm shim between the frame and rack where it mounts, Tubus supply these with all the racks I've bought.
 Anyway, the reason I'm replying is I've fitted a TorTec Ultralight to my girlfriend's bike which has 700c wheels and disk brakes with no problem what so ever and it's only £25 and weighs less than the equivalent Tubus rack. Tubus seem to have a high resale value so you might break even if you sell the Disco.
 I'll still be sticking to my Tubus Logo though, gotta love that titan! 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 01:24:34 AM by boddunn » Logged

Topic Name: Mounting a Tubus Disco to a Singular Swift Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 01:15:28 AM
wunnspeed

SpoK Werks - Handmade Cycling Goods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 01:15:28 AM »

Thanks Boddun. I wish that the shims were the problem. Those, I have. They make everything fit over the Ritchey drop outs and around the brake. The real problem is when I mount it to the QR the stabilizer mounts rub the tire and the rods to the seat stays are too short.

I am tempted to try longer rods and the extender kit for the drop out's. However, if someone knows if it will or won't help, I can avoid getting upset.

I might just opt for another rack though.

Michael Cleveland - SpoK Werks bikepacking gear
SpoK Werks Etsy
SpoK Werks FB
Big Wheel Racing Europe

Topic Name: Mounting a Tubus Disco to a Singular Swift Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 01:25:47 AM
boddunn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 01:25:47 AM »

Hi,
 I see what you're saying; the rods would be fine but the extension plates would be a weak link or add weight. Might be best to cut your losses and get a rack designed for the job. Sorry I can't offer any better advice but at least your an expert on Tubus racks now!
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: