Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Most waterproof "jerry can" bag on: November 28, 2017, 08:15:00 PM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2017, 08:15:00 PM »

I'm looking to have a med kit that is totally waterproof, but still easy access. It seems like Revelate's "Jerry Can" style bag wold be ideal for this. However, I've had a bit of leaking into all my top tube bags when I'm riding in heavy rain. Since I'll have bandaids and gauze and other moisture sensitive items inside, I really need the water to stay out as long as it is zipped up.

Does anyone have any experience with top tube bags that are truly waterproof?

Topic Name: Most waterproof "jerry can" bag Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 09:17:35 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 09:17:35 PM »

If you have something that needs to stay dry, put it in a zip lock bag.

"Does anyone have any experience with top tube bags that are truly waterproof?"

Topic Name: Most waterproof "jerry can" bag Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 09:26:08 PM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 09:26:08 PM »

Thats what I've been doing, but the zip locks (3mil commercial grade) always ware through within a month of riding a few times a week. However this may be because I stuff the med kit in with other bike tools, so if it were in it's own bag it wouldn't be a problem. It is certainly worth another try.

Topic Name: Most waterproof "jerry can" bag Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 07:20:38 AM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 07:20:38 AM »

I think the minor leakage you're getting will be a factor with any TT bag.

The inner bag is the way to go, IMO. A first aid kit attached to your bike is not as useful as one that can be easily moved under duress. A burly zip-locking bag for electronics might work. Doubling up your lightweight bags might work.

Applying SeamGrip to the bag is the best way I know to get it close to waterproof. Carefully and sparingly brush it into the seams from outside (and inside if it's not seam taped) using the supplied brush. SG can by diluted with mineral spirits for more broad applications, as in waterproofing the material itself in addition to the seams. It may not be a work of art when finished, but it will be waterproof aside from a so-called waterproof zipper.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 07:24:49 AM by offroute » Logged

Topic Name: Most waterproof "jerry can" bag Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 01:10:41 PM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 01:10:41 PM »

The inner bag is the way to go, IMO. A first aid kit attached to your bike is not as useful as one that can be easily moved under duress.

Thats actually a really good point. To date every time I've wanted my med kit, I have had to take it with me from my bike to where I was treating the person. For example with minor scrapes and such, I went with the person to a nearby stream to flush out the wound, then applied bandages. Whatever bag I get I'll either want another bag inside, or for a minimal number of velcro straps to facilitate easy removal.

Topic Name: Most waterproof "jerry can" bag Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 02:26:39 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 02:26:39 PM »

Check out the Rogue panda oracle bag.  It's not 100% waterproof but is water resistant and has a roll top.  Put your kit in said ziplock bag inside it, and it should stay dry.  I have two of the older non-roll top variety and they work well on both the downtube or the fork leg.   Not easy to pull off but would be easy to remove the kit from it.  Hopefully you're not seeing so many injuries that it has frequent use. 

https://www.roguepanda.com/shop/oracle-downtube-bag/

Topic Name: Most waterproof "jerry can" bag Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 02:37:37 PM
wahday

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 02:37:37 PM »

I put my first aid in a little silnylon drybag, then I can stuff it wherever. This was a carryover from river trips.

In general, I don't count on my bike bags to be waterproof. I either use a waterproof cover to put over top, or put the contents inside something waterproof (for larger bags, trash compactor bags are pretty bombproof). For small stuff, I use the heavy duty ziplocks and keep them somewhere they don't shift around a lot to minimize wear.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: