Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Midfat tires and rider weight on: November 05, 2015, 08:59:29 PM
LaRedoute

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2015, 08:59:29 PM »

Hey all! New to the forums here.

As Im not in a position to try out a plus sized bike (90% of mtbs around here are spec 29 epics apparently), I have a question I hope some of you guys with more experience can help answer for me.

Do you think a midfat tyre still holds it's bikepacking merits for flyweight riders?
Considering myself and those I ride with hover around the 60kg/130lbs mark, total weight fully loaded including bike, water and food will max out at 90kg/200lbs, which is still less than a lot guys around my parts weigh with no bike or gear.
The advantages I see for 27+ tires are mainly about increased stability and ability to lower pressure for loaded handling, but considering the above, would it still hold major advantages, or would it just be adding additional weight with negligible benefits? I can see how I would benefit from an increased tire footprint size, but would I really feel the benefits of being able to run lower pressure?
I'm doing 20psi in 26" mountain king II/x-kings 2.4s at the moment.

Simplified, would a 90kg total setup be somewhat similar or hugely different riding on 29 2.4's, compared to 120kg on 27 2.8's?

Topic Name: Midfat tires and rider weight Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 07:09:55 AM
MikeC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 07:09:55 AM »

I outweigh you by 50#, and I run 11f/14r in my 29 x 3" tires.  You might end up running less.

The benefit to plus tires is gaining comfort and traction without gaining rolling resistance.  You go the same speed for a given effort but you gain a more surefooted, confident feel.

Topic Name: Midfat tires and rider weight Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 01:59:59 PM
clydeone

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 01:59:59 PM »

I outweigh you by 50#, and I run 11f/14r in my 29 x 3" tires.  You might end up running less.

The benefit to plus tires is gaining comfort and traction without gaining rolling resistance.  You go the same speed for a given effort but you gain a more surefooted, confident feel.

To me being a permaclyde (6' 6" and 230 on a light day) 29+ felt revolutionary similar to the way all you light people felt with the 29" revolution - so I would say that the + size tires are overkill for some one your size - but I would not hesitate to give it a whirl.   
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: