Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Married to a date, need a route on: February 07, 2015, 11:02:21 AM
KeithG

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2015, 11:02:21 AM »

Sooooo,
A buddy and I are fairly rigid on doing a trip the second week of June due to other work and family commitments.  We are looking for a route that takes ~7-8 days.  Both of us are fit and experienced with bikepacking. Seems that a lot of the high routes will still have snow but some of the low routes will be too hot.  Ideas?

Things we have thought about:
Idaho hot springs (snow???)

First 500-600 miles of GDMBR (we could jump off the route and ride over to Missoula to get to an airport)

Oregon 3 Rivers

Virginia MB Trail (interesting, but limited info that we can dig up)

What else?  Pretty open to about anything in North America.

Thanks!
KG
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 11:23:20 AM by KeithG » Logged

Topic Name: Married to a date, need a route Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 12:55:07 PM
AG6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 12:55:07 PM »

I really enjoyed this last year.  Scenic, challenging, and always an option to head into a nearby town.
http://blackhillsexpedition.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Married to a date, need a route Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 01:36:53 PM
fotooutdoors

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 01:36:53 PM »

There are some routes in Michigan that have been posted up over the last few years, both lower and upper peninsulas.  I will be riding a portion of the North Country Trail in the Lower Peninsula a week after your target dates, and that will be fine.  For the less "developed" (ie traveled and scouted routes, say the UP and VA routes) you are likely to hit some dead-ends.  It really depends if this is something that you enjoy, or if you would prefer a straight-forward ride in gorgeous country.

Topic Name: Married to a date, need a route Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 01:46:49 PM
KeithG

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 01:46:49 PM »

I really enjoyed this last year.  Scenic, challenging, and always an option to head into a nearby town.
http://blackhillsexpedition.blogspot.com

Ooooh, cool.
Anybody got any idea about snow in early June?  Looks like you don't get super high altitude so that should help.

Topic Name: Married to a date, need a route Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 02:24:05 PM
AG6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 02:24:05 PM »

Ooooh, cool.
Anybody got any idea about snow in early June?  Looks like you don't get super high altitude so that should help.

I'm not from the area so take this is just an opinion from looking at the historical weather.  Snow is not likely to be a problem but cold nights and some rain are likely.  Wet conditions will make a few sections of this route unrideable but there are lots of bailout options throughout.

Topic Name: Married to a date, need a route Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 02:32:20 PM
KeithG

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 02:32:20 PM »

Good info.  Looks like Rapid City is the closest airport.  Going by Mt Rushmore is pretty rad, not sure my 8 year old will forgive me for not taking her...

Will be sure to bring warm wear, don't like being cold so usually over prepared in this area.  Rain is a wild card that you can bring gear for, but who knows? 

Topic Name: Married to a date, need a route Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 02:43:50 PM
AG6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 02:43:50 PM »

Look at #blackhillsexpedition hashtag on Instagram for some photos.

Topic Name: Married to a date, need a route Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 02:52:04 PM
NT

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 02:52:04 PM »

At this rate, the high country in Colorado might not have much snow that time of year...

Topic Name: Married to a date, need a route Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 02:04:07 PM
offroute

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 02:04:07 PM »

Yo Keith,

It really depends on what you want to ride. A chunk of the Divide is always a good bet, but it won't scratch the singletrack itch itself. It was tough to ride through so many areas without sampling their great singletrack systems. Whitefish MT, Steamboat Springs, Salida, Durango...

Echoing NT, it depends on the snowpack, and that time of year is tough to predict.

Have fun!

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: