Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Long time no talk - Bike questions on: March 31, 2013, 02:34:18 PM
texasjake

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2013, 02:34:18 PM »

Hey everybody -

haven't posted in a while but I've enjoyed reading your stories.... I have 3 bikes in mind for a new purchase
1) trek 520 - tour ready but not too trail friendly
2) LHT - classic but I'm not sold
3) Specialized Tricross - cyclo bike with plenty of bike packing / touring options

I need a bike for a clydesdale (i hate that term), country roads some gravel and light trail usage. I've asked about bikes in the past and thought the Pugsley was it but in my area (N. Texas) it just doesn't pay off. Any advice would be appreciated as I will be purchasing within the next 2 - 3 weeks. Thanks y'all -

Ride on

Topic Name: Long time no talk - Bike questions Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 09:08:31 PM
danimal

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 09:08:31 PM »

1 vote for the LHT.  I have worked around all three of these bikes in shops.  The 520 just isn't burly, lacks disc brakes, lacks clearance for wider tires, and is a dated design cockpit-wise.  The Tri-cross might prove frustrating for heel clearance if you have big feet and want to use panniers.  Haven't looked it up, but I bet it has the shortest chainstays of the three.  I also think it's a little on the light side for loaded, off-pavement riding by a big guy, or even a medium guy.  The LHT is just what it says.  Fatties fit fine, discs if you want 'em (which you do), bomber and comfortable ergos.  But, the bottom line is:  get whatever and ride the shit out of it.

Topic Name: Long time no talk - Bike questions Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 02:58:45 AM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 02:58:45 AM »

Fargo for drops. El Mariachi for flatbars.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Long time no talk - Bike questions Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 09:35:18 AM
fotooutdoors

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 09:35:18 AM »

I'll echo Area54 on the Fargo.  It sounds like the ideal terrain for a Fargo.  Put a CX or rando bar on if you want some more traditional drops.  If trail is very limited, you want to reduce bike weight, and you won't miss having some wider tires (they can make a difference for long days of potholed/washboard gravel roads), then the LHT is a well-built bike.

Also, try to ride whatever rig you decide on before you buy.  Fit is imperative if you are going any distance.  Some can be fudged with stem, seatpost, etc swaps, but it is best to start with a bike that is a good fit to start with.  For me, that means short top-tube as I have a short torso and long legs.

Topic Name: Long time no talk - Bike questions Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 07:47:41 AM
texasjake

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 07:47:41 AM »

So by some mysterious universal alignment your Fargo votes prompted a quick search of local Craigslists and I found a 2012 Fargo 3 with front/ rear racks, racing ralphs + extra big apples with less than 100 miles for $800!!!!!! The seller's inseam and arm reach didn't work out so I'm headed to check it out this weekend! Also I am test riding a LHT.Thanks for the advice/ input I'll send a pic of what i choose sometime soon!

Ride On

Topic Name: Long time no talk - Bike questions Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 10:29:18 AM
EricB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 10:29:18 AM »

I debated between the 520 and the LHT back when I bought my touring rig. Ultimately it came down to fit since they were spec'd nearly identically (Surly has since downgraded its components). LHT fit and felt 1000x better for me. Clydesdale...yeah, the thing is a tank, a guy opened a car door in front of me and his door dented not the bike.

That said, my wife got a Fargo last year and it made me regret not getting one. It's a badass bike.

Topic Name: Long time no talk - Bike questions Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 08:21:13 PM
wahday

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 08:21:13 PM »

Texasjake - Did you buy a bike?!

Topic Name: Long time no talk - Bike questions Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 04:41:16 PM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 04:41:16 PM »

I've been riding a Fargo for the last couple of months on terrain like you've described.  While not the best bike for the road or the trail, it's very versatile for the mixed terrain.  It's been a ton of fun to ride. 

I changed out the stock woodchipper bars for a pair of more traditional road bars.  Other than that, it's an all stock 2013 Fargo 3.

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: Long time no talk - Bike questions Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 04:51:06 PM
harryonaspot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 04:51:06 PM »

I would like to buy the Woodchippers. Hdmsmz@gmail.com.   Thanks, Harry

Topic Name: Long time no talk - Bike questions Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 04:57:18 PM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 04:57:18 PM »

I would like to buy the Woodchippers. Hdmsmz@gmail.com.   Thanks, Harry
Hi Harry,
Not quite sure I'm ready to sell them just yet, but I may in the future.  I'll keep you in mind.

Rick

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: Long time no talk - Bike questions Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 05:13:48 AM
texasjake

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 05:13:48 AM »

Texasjake - Did you buy a bike?!

wahday -

long story (and twisted) short - i have purchased a 2013 trek 520 from my LBS. the fargo fell through which means it wasn't suppose to "be". i rode the LHT and while i enjoyed it, the 520 just felt like a better fit for me - i'm 6'1" with short legs and longer torso (32" inseam). my bike should be arriving, very serendipitously, by next thursday - just before my birthday. so obviously the 520 was both my instinctual choice and easiest to obtain. i'm keeping/ dedicating my specialized hardrock29er to single track and more rugged terrain trips - although i do plan on pushing the 520 pretty hard.

so now i need some advice on any potential upgrades to tires, fenders...
ride on-
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: