Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Long Haul Tucker Bike packing Setup on: April 27, 2011, 02:59:37 PM
iforgotmename

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2011, 02:59:37 PM »

I did my first lightweight overnighter this weekend. It wasn't bikepacking but I think this setup will work. I had to pack a bit heavy due to a 25 degree temp drop and a bit of rain. Let me know what you think of my setup.

* bike.jpg (173.57 KB, 640x480 - viewed 447 times.)

* resize ely.jpg (177.42 KB, 640x480 - viewed 452 times.)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 03:09:46 PM by iforgotmename » Logged

Topic Name: Long Haul Tucker Bike packing Setup Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 07:05:44 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 07:05:44 PM »

I like it!

Good upright position, looks like you could go all day in comfort and I suspect it handles quite nicely.  Just looking at the pictures it looks like you have a tight, well balanced/distributed load.  And per your comment the load could be smaller in warmer/drier conditions

Looks like a perfect back roads, gravel roads and dry forest service roads.  IE about 75% of typical off road bike camping.

But if you were to take this setup on extended single track camping trips I think the following would be real issues:

1: fenders could clog—even with light mud
2: classic straight top tube is too high for good stand over
3: smooth tires would be problematic in some single track conditions—think steep down hills and steep gravely climbing sections
4: brake levers—I have limited experience with road style brake levers on dirt, but all I know tells me road style levers will not give you enough leverage on long steep down hills—ie: on some hills your hands will get tired before the down hill ends—not a big issue if you are willing to go slow and also to stop and shake out the hand cramps
4: racks can break and the front rack would bother me a bit as I like to see the front tire path in some tight/tech conditions, but your set up does have a nice narrow profile—if there is not to much weight you could get by imo  

Personally I would never try to do a self-supported multi-day race with this set up (other than maybe a TDR type route).  But with the fenders off, some knobby tires and a bit less bulk (maybe the loss of the front rack) I would be willing to take this set up just about anywhere.  

And if I was doing a long ‘non-single track’ road/back country tour with real camping I suspect I would be very content with this set up as is!!

edit: oh, and look at all that empty space for a huge frame bag hint hint

Topic Name: Long Haul Tucker Bike packing Setup Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 09:08:16 PM
iforgotmename

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 09:08:16 PM »

Thanks for your detailed evaluation Trail, I very much appreciate it. My first trip will be a light backroad/fireroad camping trip. I take this bike off road but singletrack is problematic due to the low bottom bracket. This setup is not set in stone, that is why I posted here for comments. I am a tourer breaking in to the bikepacking experience so the LHT will have to do for now. I have some nobbies and have no problem losing the fenders so it looks like this setup will work for my maiden voyage.  It's kind of interesting how much stuff I bring on tour when I have my front and rear Nice Racks with loaded panniers. I learned a lot this weekend. I am saving for a Karate Monkey build in anticipation for a real off road adventure.

Thanks again...I really appreciate your input.

Topic Name: Long Haul Tucker Bike packing Setup Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 05:11:40 AM
rocky rode

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 05:11:40 AM »

I like the bungee with hook to secure the under downtube bottle.  sign13  I've always used a toe strap but I like your idea better.  On really rough off road stuff you may (or may not) need a bit stronger bungee.

Topic Name: Long Haul Tucker Bike packing Setup Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 10:03:52 AM
jhl99

USA-PA-SW

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 10:03:52 AM »

It doesn't really matter, but I think your front wheel appears to be on 'backwards'....  Disk side of hub normally goes on on non-drive side, and QR handle on non-drive side.  Also, tuck that QR handle parallel to the fork, not hanging down, wanting to be snagged by something!

You could carry a big bottle of something in that seat tube cage and dispense with that trival flask!  (probably best to hide that stuff inside and not advertise!).

Small panniers would probably be easier to pack and also lower your center of gravity, instead of stacking stuff up on the racks.

Where were the pictures taken?  It looks like a neat town square.

Topic Name: Long Haul Tucker Bike packing Setup Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 06:43:34 AM
iforgotmename

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 06:43:34 AM »

@ Rocky: The bungee is really helpful on and off road.
@JH: Good eye on the front wheel. I was changing tread direction the lazy way, that got flipped back when I got home. I am impressed with your attention to detail. Thanks for the tip about the QR's.

I did have a big drink in the cage. I just need a container as I just put a big gatorade in there for this ride. Suggestions?

As far as the load I plan on not stacking anything this summer but the sleep pad on the front. I brought some extra gear due to it being almost 80 and sunny one day and in the 50' and raining the next. Wouldn't the offroad advantage go to a slimmer bike? I have panniers of different sizes and other racks as I like to tour. With this set up I cut quite a bit of weight.

Thanks for the evaluation...I appreciate it.

Topic Name: Long Haul Tucker Bike packing Setup Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 07:15:55 AM
bradh

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 07:15:55 AM »

Nice setup.  What kind of bars are those?  Brakes?  I'm looking for ideas for a rebuild on my travellers check.

Topic Name: Long Haul Tucker Bike packing Setup Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 07:44:06 AM
iforgotmename

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 07:44:06 AM »

The bars are wtb dirt drops, my brakes are avid sd7 v brakes (soon to be xt) with care creek scr5 levers.

Thanks.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: