Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Lights on: January 10, 2015, 06:22:58 AM
Guild44

View Profile WWW
« on: January 10, 2015, 06:22:58 AM »

Hello there! I have a question about lighting systems. I was using a Lezyne light, but it and the clamp were not durable enough for my purposes. (Last summer I rode the Colorado Trail, and this summer I'm doing Tour Divide.) Basically, I'm looking for something tough - something that can withstand bad weather and even falls. I would be recharging it with a solar battery, so USB rechargeable would be good.

Any recommendations? In looking at reviews, this kind of durability isn't normally the thing focused on, so I thought I'd ask for your experience with various systems.

Thanks!

Sarah

Topic Name: Lights Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 07:24:11 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 07:24:11 AM »

I'm a fan of the exposure stuff. Have a dyno powered Revo on the bars and a Diablo on the helmet.

Topic Name: Lights Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 06:26:28 PM
Vt_Brian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 06:26:28 PM »

I have a Dinotte setup amd it has served me well thru a number of Vermont winters

Topic Name: Lights Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 06:48:20 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 06:48:20 PM »

Does Dinotte make any AA powered lights anymore? I have one of the XML-AA setups. Has served me well, but it rarely gets used anymore.

Topic Name: Lights Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 06:12:20 AM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 06:12:20 AM »

Another big fan of Exposure Lights.  If you can't find a local shop that deals with them (not many places do), we have Joysticks and Diablos in stock.  Revos coming soon!

http://www.velorutioncycles.com/bike-accessories/

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: Lights Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 12:50:50 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 12:50:50 PM »

Hello there! I have a question about lighting systems. I was using a Lezyne light, but it and the clamp were not durable enough for my purposes. (Last summer I rode the Colorado Trail, and this summer I'm doing Tour Divide.) Basically, I'm looking for something tough - something that can withstand bad weather and even falls. I would be recharging it with a solar battery, so USB rechargeable would be good.

Any recommendations? In looking at reviews, this kind of durability isn't normally the thing focused on, so I thought I'd ask for your experience with various systems.

Thanks!

Sarah

Light recommendation--lots of good ones out there--I would look at the Diablo, great output, excellent snap-in helmet mount, simple with no wires, light weight and has a good overall rep for durability.

On the other hand--I could be totally wrong about this-- but I do not believe any 'smaller' solar recharger with be capable of sufficiently recharging a high end bike light.  They 'might' be good to run a low-draw GPS with buffer battery or perhaps partially charge a small phone?

With that said the dyno hubs are all the rage for the TDR as they can not only charge a light battery (or phone etc) but also 'run' a light or and/or run your GPS.  IE: they can cut the cord to any required recharge stops. 

Or you might investigate simply carrying a mid-size rechargeable/USB battery pack for your light and phone.  Simple, less expensive and probably lighter overall than a dyno system.  Combined with a light like the exposure Diablo, these USB/battery systems make a lot of sense for a shorter race like the AZT or CTR-- and will work fine on the TDR as everyone gets the opportunity to do 'some' recharging along the way.

Topic Name: Lights Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 12:10:15 AM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 12:10:15 AM »

Another tick for Exposure - Diablo is my pick.

Power monkey extreme for batt and solar pack. E-werk for dynamo regulation.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Lights Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 08:47:25 AM
Guild44

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 08:47:25 AM »

Thanks! This is super helpful. I will definitely look into the Exposure stuff (especially the Diablo), since that seems to be the consensus.

Also, I have the Power Monkey Extreme solar battery, and it has been great for me for charging high powered bike lights.

Thanks again!

Topic Name: Lights Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 09:12:39 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 09:12:39 AM »

I have used the Coast/Led Lenser H7 headlamp for 5 years.

The Coast version now boasts more lumens and is for sale at Wal Mart? $35. Wallyworld has the Coast flashlights too. Check em out.

Adjustable flood/throw. Infinitely adj lumens from super low to high. 3aaa batts. No other light I know of has this adjustability in replaceable batts category.

Divide Bike Bags
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: