Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Is this route over ambitious? on: June 04, 2013, 10:05:14 AM
flanagaj

View Profile WWW
« on: June 04, 2013, 10:05:14 AM »

I have never done a bike packing trip before and want to put my shiny new gear to good use.  I did a century last year, which I did find hard and have done plenty of 50 mile back to back rides.  The mountain bike route I want to do is here

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=xkhxehjjiiuuajjc

It is a 240 mile trip that I would like to do in 3 days.

The reason I wonder whether I could tackle this is based on the fact that as I will have nothing to rush back for I can make a real effort to plod along at a more sustainable pace rather than the race pace that I always seem to ride at when I do 3-4 hour rides.

The concern I do have is that I do find it hard to cycle along at a conservative pace and keep the hear rate down.  I did an event at the weekend and ended up with an average heart rate of 163 for a 3 hour ride.  That sort of rate is just not sustainable and I do have concerns that as my body has never had to try and go for 8 - 10 hours at a much lower heart rate for 3 days whether I do have the ability to do it. 

Topic Name: Is this route over ambitious? Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 10:17:47 AM
sam.pederson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 10:17:47 AM »

My two cents:

If it's your first bikepacking trip, do something less ambitious. Your first trip may have a lot of wasted time due to dialing in equipment.

But dont' let me hold you back...if you think you can do it, hit it up

Topic Name: Is this route over ambitious? Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 01:10:01 PM
wahday

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 01:10:01 PM »

For a trip of that duration there are additional factors to consider beyond conditioning. Water (replenishing and determining how much you actually need), food (are you going to cook? How much fuel is needed?), gear issues, and so on all become more significant than with an overnighter. As with the previous poster, if you feel you are up for it, good on ya! But since you are asking advice, I would recommend a one or two night excursion to shake out logistics first. Riding with a few days of gear on trails is also a different experience from road touring, especially if there is a lot of elevation. Something to consider. But the ride looks fantastic!

Topic Name: Is this route over ambitious? Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 02:41:52 PM
RossC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 02:41:52 PM »

My 0.02.

Go for it. As long as there are plenty of bail out options along the way to use if you aren't making the required time, then all is good. The important thing is to have fun and spend the time outside.

Don't drop out on the first night because you only made 60miles, just ride for the next 2 days and adjust your final goal accordingly.

And take lots of photos!

Topic Name: Is this route over ambitious? Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 12:28:07 AM
flanagaj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 12:28:07 AM »

I agree that although the trip might be a little ambitious, the helpful tips and advice has made me realise the following.

1.  Maybe add a contingency day in case I decide to do less miles / day
2.  Scrap the hard and fast rule of 80 miles each day and ride for as long as you feel like
3.  If the trip is too much, there are plenty of places I can drop out from and find a train to get me home
4.  Don't build it up to be like a miltary mission and over analyse every aspect (bad habit of mine).  It's about having fun and  enjoying it (need to learn how to do that).

Now I just need to shake off this chest infection  sad3 before my planned start on Saturday.  That's what is most annoying

Topic Name: Is this route over ambitious? Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 06:56:50 AM
jbphilly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 06:56:50 AM »

I'm interested in seeing photos from the trip if you do it. I'd love to know what kind of mountain biking and wild camping opportunities are found in England...one day I want to bike from Cornwall to Scotland.

Topic Name: Is this route over ambitious? Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 06:34:42 PM
Payton MacDonald

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 06:34:42 PM »

I did about 6 or 7 overnighters of about 50 miles each way before doing anything longer.  As some of the other folks have pointed out, you may be surprised how much time and energy goes into getting your gear dialed in.  I think you've got the right idea now: have fun, don't kill yourself, and enjoy the totality of the experience.  Good luck, and post some photos when you're done.

Topic Name: Is this route over ambitious? Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 11:27:58 AM
adelorenzo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 11:27:58 AM »

Just go for it.  Have a plan to keep you safe and ways to shorten your trip if things don't go as planned. The only way to figure shit out is to get out there and make mistakes.

Topic Name: Is this route over ambitious? Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 11:47:49 AM
flanagaj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 11:47:49 AM »

Hey Guys,

I thought I would have a trial today with my gear and wanted to show you my rig. Really chuffed with the rear holder and bar sling I made last year.  They hold the dry bags really well and there is very little movement.

Bar bag is carrying tent and small sleeping mat

Rear bag is carrying sleeping bag / towel / air pillow (blush) and will also fit in second pair of cycling shorts ...

Frame bag will be used to carry food for the trail.

It would have been nice to have been able to ditch the rucksack and just the camel back, but I think it is just slightly too small.  I might ditch the jet boil and just eat / drink when I reach the stops?

Topic Name: Is this route over ambitious? Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 01:56:30 PM
wahday

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 01:56:30 PM »

Nice ride and tight looking setup. I was just looking at that Deuter frame bag and trying to find good images of it mounted up for scale so this is helpful. How do you like the LaPierre? Do you also ride with a pack?

Topic Name: Is this route over ambitious? Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 01:57:49 PM
wahday

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 01:57:49 PM »

Der just saw you mention the rucksack

Topic Name: Is this route over ambitious? Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 11:10:35 PM
flanagaj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 11:10:35 PM »

Nice ride and tight looking setup. I was just looking at that Deuter frame bag and trying to find good images of it mounted up for scale so this is helpful. How do you like the LaPierre? Do you also ride with a pack?
The Lapierre is the best full susser I have ever ridden.  I used to ride Intense frames, but after breaking 2 I went for the Lapierre and I love it.  It is a super plush ride, but I don't think it is the right bike for bike packing.  If I enjoy the bike packing trip I am starting tomorrow then I may build up a 29er hardtail.

Saying that, the Lapierre really does eat the roots and ruts on twisty singletrack.

I do have a Vaude 20 + 5 backpack that I am taking as well, but I think I could have gone with a 15 litre pack.  I can't buy anymore gear so am just going with what I have and see how things go

Topic Name: Is this route over ambitious? Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 01:24:53 PM
flanagaj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 01:24:53 PM »

Ok, here goes.  I have been steadily building the mileage up recently until I was able to do back to back 90 milers without feeling too tired.  As a result, I am heading off on my 3 day trip on Wednesday.  Took the bike out yesterday full loaded up along with rucksack and did 35 miles off road to get a feel for it.  Felt really good, and given the bike is loaded up I found myself cycling at a slower pace than unloaded, which is good as it meant my average heart rate for the ride was down on the usual race pace that I tend to ride at.

The only concern I have is that I am a really bad at sleeping in strange places and I am concerned that I won't get much shut eye when cooped up in my one man tent.

Still, I have decided that aside from that I am just going to go for it!

Any tips on getting used to camping and feeling comfortable would be appreciated.

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: