Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: iPhone as primary GPS device when traveling on roads on: May 17, 2015, 05:17:10 PM
roadpacker

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2015, 05:17:10 PM »

Hey all,

I'm pretty late to the smartphone game. I got my first a few months ago. I use it for Strava a lot. I do distance road bikepacking things, wondering how this would fare as a replacement for a Garmin 705. Really like the interface better.

Any insight or apps welcomed, thank you

headbang

* 0704041552.jpg (587.62 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 380 times.)

Best yet: 320 mi, 2 days, Baltimore-NJ-Baltimore, Sept '13
Goal: 330 in 36 hrs

3,000 mi from Baltimore, MD to Moab, UT. 40 days.

Topic Name: iPhone as primary GPS device when traveling on roads Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 06:09:36 PM
KeithG

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 06:09:36 PM »

Potential issues:
Charging - gonna eat up lots of battery using a GPS app, searching for cell signal if you are in a remote area, and having the screen on lots.  Can be remedied with a dynamo hub with a USB charger.

Service - if you get "way out there" and have no service you might be in a pathfinding pickle.

Topic Name: iPhone as primary GPS device when traveling on roads Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 06:12:54 PM
roadpacker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 06:12:54 PM »

How is it that a GPS manages to do what a GPS does better than an iPhone? Lots of satellites I guess.

My Garmin 705 is pretty toast and in need of repair. May just want to buy a replacement. I'll search around on this forum for advice. But you're right it does seem less reliable. That interface though is freakin awesome.

* 0712041821.jpg (336.22 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 378 times.)

Best yet: 320 mi, 2 days, Baltimore-NJ-Baltimore, Sept '13
Goal: 330 in 36 hrs

3,000 mi from Baltimore, MD to Moab, UT. 40 days.

Topic Name: iPhone as primary GPS device when traveling on roads Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 06:26:58 PM
KeithG

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 06:26:58 PM »

Etrex 20 or 30 are both popular, easy to use, and reliable.

Topic Name: iPhone as primary GPS device when traveling on roads Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 07:09:33 PM
SlowRide

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 07:09:33 PM »

I use an eTrex 20 as my on-handlebar follow-the-purple-line GPS device and use my iPhone as a backup. I like the Garmin interface for actual moment-to-moment navigation, it's simple and it's lack of a lustrous interface may be a good thing. I also like that it's waterproof, pretty darn shock proof, and uses AA batteries(which I can carry extras of and have predictable life from). As you mentioned the interface on the phone is excellent and when I want to look where I am overall on a long route it does much better than a zoomed out Garmin does for detail and overall map visualization and usability. I've been using the Motion-X GPS app(which is only $.99) and it loads long trail tracks just fine and has the ability to cache maps for offline use which is perhaps the most important thing. As far as battery life for the phone, I carried a small external rechargeable battery pack with USB outputs that would charge my phone fully about 3-4 times. I found the phone quite useful as a backup on the AZT this year, and my eTrex 20 took the beating of all beatings and it's still running great. I don't think I'd recommend using the phone as primary though, something just doesn't feel right about it.

Going that one more round, when you don't think you can. That's what makes all the difference in your life.
--Rocky Balboa

http://twelvemilesperhour.blogspot.com

TDR 2014, AZTR750 2015, CTR 2015

Topic Name: iPhone as primary GPS device when traveling on roads Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 08:14:23 PM
gouacats

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 08:14:23 PM »

I would say that the charging needs would be the mis challenging. The iPhone GPS works when in the sticks, as long as the app you're using has offline maps. I use Navigon for on road stuff and Scenic Maps or Topo Maps for off-road stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic Name: iPhone as primary GPS device when traveling on roads Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 09:02:47 PM
mountainjah

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 09:02:47 PM »

I'll second John's strategy....Iphone backup in emergencies with PDF files of your maps as a just in case.....I've had the purple line device poop out and it's good to press those old school topo skills into service when needed. With the map/cues/waypoint files on your phone in airplane mode, you'll have a good safety net and reference library.

But for nav applications, get an etrex if you're serious, the iPhone just sucks too much juice up... unless you're creating your own charge on the fly....?

If you're on the road rather than in the woods, maybe you could capture enough sun that you could go solar charger on yo bike/back in lieu of getting dynamoed? You could add a recharge cell in the bags for a gray day safety net.....? A cord for gas stations....  IDK, sounds more complicated than just getting a new ETREX.... iPhone is nice for pics tho thumbsup
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 09:06:25 PM by mountainjah » Logged

michaelackerman.org

Topic Name: iPhone as primary GPS device when traveling on roads Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 09:14:50 PM
Cfritze

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 09:14:50 PM »

on an iphone, if you set a SIM passcode and restart the phone without unlocking the SIM, then you've turned off the cellular radio. You can turn bluetooth and wifi off manually. With this setup, an iPhone battery will last a good long while for doing occasional lookups of your position, but it doesn't have enough battery to be turned on consistently as you ride.

Topic Name: iPhone as primary GPS device when traveling on roads Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 12:28:42 AM
RonK

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 12:28:42 AM »

You're riding a bike - get a hub dynamo and a cache battery. Keeping your phone charged won't be a problem. Discussed in detail in this thread.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Topic Name: iPhone as primary GPS device when traveling on roads Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 12:42:33 AM
Farawayvisions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 12:42:33 AM »

I always like a map. As a sailor as well as a bikepacker, it's always good to have a backup that doesn't rely on modern technology.

Topic Name: iPhone as primary GPS device when traveling on roads Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 10:19:46 AM
wahday

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 10:19:46 AM »

I use my iPhone as a GPS unit. It works great but you need to be sensitive to battery use as others have noted. I use Gaia GPS as my app which allows one to preload maps in the phone. That way I can turn off cellular, wifi, etc. The phone can always get a GPS location but if you haven't preloaded the maps it will not be able to stream the map data if no cell signal is available. You will just be located in a blank grid on the screen.

FTR the SIM card option does not work if Verizon is your carrier (the case for me). Will work for AT&T users.

I actually just upgraded my phone and so am now using the old one just for GPS. I have no data plan so it's really just a glorified iPod. But it does get GPS signal and as long as I download maps when I have wifi, no problem. Gaia makes this easy.

I also have a battery charger I carry with me. It's made by "Trent" costs $35 and will recharge the iPhone 5-7 times before it needs charging itself. It's about the size of a cigarette pack but square. There are others available, some that use regular AA batteries.

Another useful app is PDF maps which you can use to preload USGS maps that have geospatial data. That way it will locate you on the map when in the field.

Both apps are free though Gaia has a pay option for additional features. With the paid version you can also print maps of a predesignated route. You can also create routes using it even with the free version. They export as both gpx and kml files so can be shared with most any GPS program/unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic Name: iPhone as primary GPS device when traveling on roads Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 06:19:53 PM
Couloirman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 06:19:53 PM »

I only use the iphone as my primary GPS on routes I know to have service, and that I do frequently and want to easily get them on Strava. Anytime I head into the wilderness the eTrex 30 comes with me. Iphone just isn't reliable enough overal IMHO. But, here are two good links if you decide to use the iphone as primary gps:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=72254

http://adventurealan.com/iphone4gps.htm

Topic Name: iPhone as primary GPS device when traveling on roads Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 12:23:43 AM
RonK

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 12:23:43 AM »

Since iOS 8.3 was released, GPS remains activated in Airplane mode.

Posted by Apple Support May 9 2015.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Topic Name: iPhone as primary GPS device when traveling on roads Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 07:25:09 AM
aaron w

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 07:25:09 AM »

Thanks Ron!  That's pretty cool.  I just tested this and it *seems* to work.  I'll try with Strava in airplane mode later to verify. 

Topic Name: iPhone as primary GPS device when traveling on roads Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 06:14:42 PM
Wingnut

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 06:14:42 PM »

This works great with my iPhone while riding...no need for the cache battery...

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: