Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Instigator 2.0? on: October 06, 2015, 03:10:49 PM
Npoteat

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2015, 03:10:49 PM »

I am in the market for a new mtb. I am looking for something that I can tear up single track with and take on long bikepacking trips. I am considering the Surly Instigator 2.0. I love hard tails and I love steel. My question is, is this a good move considering the bikepacking side of my needs? Any light shed would be much appreciated!

Topic Name: Instigator 2.0? Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 06:49:35 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 06:49:35 PM »

I've got a steel hard tail 29er; 120mm fork, dropper post, wider rims 2.4" tires. It's my only mountain bike and does everything I need it to; local races, daily shreds, bikepacking, month long tours, bike pack races and everything in between.

Get the bike you'd be most stoked to shred on your daily/weekly rides (most of your riding) you'll get it to work for the couple/few times a year you go bikepacking (small percentage of your riding). I think any steel hard tail mountain bike makes a great bikepacking platform. The Instigator in my opinion would set up really well for bikepacking; comfortable geometry, shredable, wide tires. Looks hella fun.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Instigator 2.0? Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 06:40:51 PM
Spicy McHaggis

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 06:40:51 PM »

I'm a HUGE Surly fan (full disclosure - I'm also a shop owner and Surly dealer), and pretty much anything they make is well suited for bikepacking and adventure riding. The Instigator is one helluva shredder, but I'm wondering if a Karate Monkey might be a better choice for what you're looking for.

That being said, I have a 1x1 with the 26"x2.8" Dirt Wizards (same as the Instigator) and those things rip!!!

Topic Name: Instigator 2.0? Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 08:30:17 PM
Npoteat

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 08:30:17 PM »

Thanks bro. Why Karate Monkey?

Topic Name: Instigator 2.0? Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 06:05:30 AM
Spicy McHaggis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 06:05:30 AM »

I think the KM does both duties better than the Instigator does...not that you can't bikepack with it but everything about that bike just screams "hooligan" to me!

Same thing I tell all our customers...ride one first and see what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic Name: Instigator 2.0? Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 11:06:56 AM
HOser

Too busy looking good

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 11:06:56 AM »

Something to consider is frame bag size. The beauty of any hardtail is that is can fit a big frame bag, and the bigger the better because it's the perfect place to carry stuff. If you think a frame bag is part of your future set up, consider getting the frame that has the biggest main triangle (if there's any significant different, perhaps there is not).

In my case I have a custom steel hardtail frame, I specifically asked for a big triangle at the expense of some stand over height. I can fit 100 oz of water plus plenty of tubes, tools, etc. I would have a very hard time giving up this much frame bag capacity.

Topic Name: Instigator 2.0? Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 02:59:36 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 02:59:36 PM »

I am a Surly fan (and Salsa / Surly dealer) as well, but my personal opinion on the Instigator 2.0 is that damn, that bike is heavy!  I am no weight weenie - I like steel, and ti, and parts that value durability over weight - but I've ridden that Instigator and it is a beast.  Some bikes ride lighter than their actual weight would suggest.  I think that bike actually rides heavier than it's scale weight would suggest!

Personally I think Salsa's El Mariachi is the best complete steel hardtail going right now if you're not in the market for a custom-built frame.  Better parts, better geo, better grade of steel, better dropouts, better value for the dollar when compared to the KM, etc.

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: Instigator 2.0? Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 03:16:51 PM
TomiKoo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 03:16:51 PM »

I found my way here via google. Seems to be a perfect place for my pondering. I don't have problem to solve but I'm trying to figure out if my idea is stupid and what should I do now.

Background:

At the moment I have three bikes. Surly ICT (size S) is built for winter use and local "bad weather" riding. There is small Revelate framebag, feedbags and GPS holder. Normal trip is 20-30km with slow speed and bonfire stop for a coffee. Picture quality below isn't best possible but you get my point. At the moment tires are Bud/Lou which are going to get some Schwalbe studs later. I love to have lot's of grip and feel ICT is like tank which can go anywhere. It is heavy and slow but it doesn't matter.

Next bike is Ragley Piglet 2 (size 16") which was my first hardtail. At the moment Piggy has been modified for rigid carbon fork and 650b wheeset and 2,4 Ardents. This way it is quite light bike for fast XC'ish riding. Again picture is low quality but you see the overall look of the bike.

Last one of my three bikes is Surly Instigator 2.0 (size M) which is now built for hooligan riding. X-fusion Vengeance coil with 160mm travel and dropper post are nice and bike feels heavy but really steady. As mentioned above Instigator really feel's heavier than scale would say and it would be at home on bike park or riding downhill. After building Instigator and riding for 6 months I have noticed that I'm not that much hooligan anyway. Maybe I'm getting old or something. One reason might also be a bit too big size together with setback post which is affecting. Below you see Instigator as it is at the moment.

At this moment I'm perfectly pleased with ICT and Ragley as they are. For the reason Instigator isn't getting riding time as it is I have been thinking either sell it or modifying it for bike packing. Next summer I'm planning to have 2-5 day trips "gravel griding and offroading" just by myself and with my son. I need bike for those trips and Instigator would be a good choise.

On my point of view it feel's stupid to sell perfectly good frameset and buy another one. Would something else be that much better to loose lot's of money?

Also it seem's much better choise to modify Instigator than take ICT and use 29+ tires. Or is it?? Instigator would accept 650+ tires which seem's nice choise. I prefer ICT as playfull bike as the size is a good match and bike itself feels really good on slow mud grinding. I wouldn't like to make lot's of midifications for few longer trips and after those build it back as it is.

I would build Instigator as rigid with Salsa Firestarter fork. 650b wheelset with 30mm rim and Maxxis Chronicle are something I have been thinking. Handlebar would be Answer 20/20 or similar bend bar which would allow me to use a bit oversized frame. I have now possibility make suitable bags during winter. Seatbag, framebag and a rollbag on hadlebar would be my choise for Instigator frame.

I'm happy if you managed to read all the way here and maybe have some good ideas to help my choise also?

Topic Name: Instigator 2.0? Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 06:07:26 AM
bigeyedfish

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 06:07:26 AM »

Why not bikepack on the ragley? Put a frame bag on it and a dry bag below the seat and handlebars, and you're good to go. Unless I'm missing something.

Topic Name: Instigator 2.0? Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 02:15:34 PM
TomiKoo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 02:15:34 PM »

Why not bikepack on the ragley?
Unless I'm missing something.

Well not exactly missing. Maybe I just tried to say that ICT and Ragley are having good position as they are right now. No need to add anything or make modifications to be usefull. That way Instigator would be only "useless" right now and would be good doner for bike packing modifications.

Topic Name: Instigator 2.0? Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 02:30:13 PM
TomiKoo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 02:30:13 PM »

I just couldn't wait more comment's so I decided to give a try with this. There isn't much to loose but it could turn out quite nice also!

I ordered Salsa Firestarter steel fork for the project. I'll make a quick mockup with this fork and try how bike handles with 26" and 27,5" tires. 26x3 Knard's are looking good on Rabbit Hole rim's  so that might also be a interesting choise to use. I also need to try different seat, bar and stem choises to see what way I like to go with. Sadly I don't have yet any touring bar with 25-45 degrees bend.

After all this test and prepartion I'll take Instigator into pieces and start new build for this winter. ICT with studded Bud/Lou and Ragley with new 27,5x2,25 Ice Spiker Pro's are going to be a perfect combo for winter riding while building Instigator.

Topic Name: Instigator 2.0? Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 10:17:31 AM
TomiKoo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 10:17:31 AM »

I promised to come back to tell how rigid Instigator feels. I made it also single speed and 650b. Feels great this way! About 11,5kg bike in this mode.

For winter I changed to Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro's (sorry bad picture quality).

After winter I'll change Instigator to bikepacking-mode with 1x10 gearing and probably add 3" Chronicles with 35mm 650b wheels.

Topic Name: Instigator 2.0? Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 05:33:41 AM
TomiKoo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 05:33:41 AM »

Instigator 2.0 is getting there. It seems quite nice base for bikepacking as rigid 27+. Like smaller version of Krampus, should be suitable for 169cm (5'6") rider. Weight should be close to 12,5kg (27-28lbs) without bags. Waiting for RF Aeffect cranks and XT cassette to arrive for finishing build.

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: