Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Hub dynamo and electronics thread. Reply #80 on: April 16, 2014, 11:03:34 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2014, 11:03:34 AM »

I have the Revo with the USB werks. Wired in parallel and it works great. Silicone the back of the connection to prevent water intrusion. I ran the wires up my fork tube together in heat shrink and have the cache battery on my handle bars underneath a feed bag strap. I have charged my cell phone galaxy 4s and garmin 810 using the USB werks and charging was quick and steady. Thanks to PW cylces for helping me get it set up. With 810 I had to get a specific USB cable for charging. The cable that it comes with for data transfer will shut down the GPS when plugged into a straight power source. 

Do you switch off / unplug the light while charging?

I will likely do the same with my cables and just leave the usbwerk cable on the bike when I'm not running the dyno or light (can't imagine why I can't just leave everything on there).

Did you silicone the plugs to the back of the light? I was looking for end caps that might work - haven't going anything yet.

I bought a right angle cable. I think the extrex will stay on with just a power source. Will have to check now!

Topic Name: Hub dynamo and electronics thread. Reply #81 on: April 16, 2014, 11:28:16 AM
Enzo149

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2014, 11:28:16 AM »

Do you switch off / unplug the light while charging?

I will likely do the same with my cables and just leave the usbwerk cable on the bike when I'm not running the dyno or light (can't imagine why I can't just leave everything on there).

Did you silicone the plugs to the back of the light? I was looking for end caps that might work - haven't going anything yet.

I bought a right angle cable. I think the extrex will stay on with just a power source. Will have to check now!

No switch. I have the exposure hub as well. It will run both the light & charger but it dims out. I will usually charge up before dark and then plug in the light. I used a vacuum cap(automotive application) to cover the end of the cable going into the light when not in use. Everything stays on the bike. Its purpose built for the divide and gravel grinding. I use other bikes for xc-race duties. I will try to post up some pics of the install.

I am planning on doing a training ride through VT next weekend I will PM you the route to see what you think.

Topic Name: Hub dynamo and electronics thread. Reply #82 on: April 16, 2014, 01:24:38 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2014, 01:24:38 PM »

cool, and thanks. i might add a switch, going to wire it up in parallel tonight and give it all a go. used a buddy's setup to run a gopro last year - worked great (no light...)

Topic Name: Hub dynamo and electronics thread. Reply #83 on: April 16, 2014, 04:03:46 PM
dgjessee

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2014, 04:03:46 PM »

Just FYI - I have been testing this charger: http://www.tekkeon.com/products-tekcharge1580.html. I'm pretty impressed, considering it's about $20. I can definitely get a full charge off 4 AA rechargeables. And I just tested it with 4 lithiums. I got 2 full charges on an iPhone 5s. It's definitely not burley, but for $20 I am really happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cycling is not rocket science.

Topic Name: Hub dynamo and electronics thread. Reply #84 on: April 16, 2014, 06:32:48 PM
Enzo149

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2014, 06:32:48 PM »

USB Werk install

Topic Name: Hub dynamo and electronics thread. Reply #85 on: May 05, 2014, 09:10:03 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2014, 09:10:03 PM »

Time till 2014 TDR is flying and I find less and less to post up--here is my dynamo light blog post--short & sweet......

http://bikedrifting.blogspot.com/2014/05/my-tdr-electronics.html
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 09:17:21 PM by Marshal » Logged

Topic Name: Hub dynamo and electronics thread. Reply #86 on: May 07, 2014, 07:35:38 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2014, 07:35:38 AM »

Marshal - what are you using to charge? USBWerk? Sinewave?

I am hoping to get a Joystick this fall to add to my mix. Currently using a Fenix on my head - but want this to move to a USB chargeable option too.

I'm curious why you think it is too much complexity and weight? OK, weight, maybe on the hub / gear  - but not having to deal with batteries aside from the SPOT and or maybe the GPS depending on circumstances I think is ideal - far worth the hassle, IMHO, if you can build / test / break / rebuild a reliable system.

To me (not a TD racer) not having to worry about charging at a store / etc. or worrying when my light / batteries will fade / fail is a huge emotional and logistical boost. Yes, AAs can be had just about anywhere - but carrying, swapping, dealing with them in the cold / dark / wet tired state - as opposed to just flipping a switch (or switching a lead) is a no brainer for me.

Even before I carried a smartphone, camera and used GPS on rides I was using a dyno for randonneuring events. I hated the unreliable halogen bulbs - they always seems to blow or dim in the middle of nowhere when it was raining and cold... but once LED systems matured I've never wanted to look back.

(I too have the Dinotte AA light, its on my Pugsley and previous was used for my Fargo / bikepacking rig. I like it well enough - but it always seems to have issues - never on a local morning loop ride - always when I'm off on an overnight or endurance event...)

Topic Name: Hub dynamo and electronics thread. Reply #87 on: May 07, 2014, 08:28:14 AM
the tortoise

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2014, 08:28:14 AM »

I have to laugh at my initial setup towards the front of this thread. Trying to do way too much!! I learned that a dynamo hub is not a nuclear powered generating plant!
For me the Luxos U is an awesome system, combining light, up to one amp controller, a small cache battery and a handlebar mounted light switch with a built in USB port. I think this would be the ultimate Tour Divide setup.
For single track you would probably want to add a helmet light.

Topic Name: Hub dynamo and electronics thread. Reply #88 on: May 07, 2014, 09:38:41 AM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2014, 09:38:41 AM »

I am using a Sinewave USB charger.

First let me say I do ‘like’ my dynamo hub & light. And for commuting, touring or bikepacking it does provide independence from buying or carrying spare batteries. But for the TDR batteries are easy to come by. For the TDR I ‘know’ my potential re-supply points in advance so buying batteries becomes mostly a non-issue.  

Complexity comparisons
My 2010 electronics included:
GPS, spare GPS, SPOT, Dinotte AA light, SteriPEN, small camp light, rear blinky light, small basic phone/music and 2-4 spare lithium batteries.  Everything but the small camp light and phone ran off AA lithium’s so I could always cannibalize the SteriPEN for spare batteries if needed—but never needed to as I always was able to keep spares on hand till the last day when it didn't matter.

My 2014 system:
Dynamo hub, dynamo handlebar Revo light, Sinewave USB charger, catch battery, rechargeable Helmet light, GPS, spare GPS, rear blinky light(s), I Phone, SPOT, small camp light, cabling (with switch connectors) from hub to light or USB charger, power cable for GPS, power cable for helmet light, power cable for I Phone, cable from sinewave to catch battery, USB splitter, USB 120AV wall plug (for hotel charging).  Altogether I think there are a total of 10 plug/connection points which are all possible failure spots due to water ingress, simple vibration disconnect or actual breakage.

Don’t get me wrong, I ‘like’ my dynamo hub system,& I will be using it.  And I hope/plan to take strategic advantage of my extended 400-800 lum light!!  But in retrospect I could have saved weight and complexity with a simple disposable battery approach.

Topic Name: Hub dynamo and electronics thread. Reply #89 on: May 08, 2014, 07:22:21 AM
the tortoise

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2014, 07:22:21 AM »

I think a dynamo system should simplify things, not make them more complicated. I would use it for light and to keep a smart phone charged up. The smart phone could be used for camera, video player, music, phone and even your gps. As smartphones progress, I think the standalone gps units will fade out.
Your spot would be battery powered but with good batteries you can get almost a weeks worth of use with that. I would run a gps on batteries too and have a backup battery powered helmet light.
To me having endless light and not worrying about a smartphone going dead is liberating.

Topic Name: Hub dynamo and electronics thread. Reply #90 on: November 07, 2014, 03:06:59 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2014, 03:06:59 PM »

So an update, I've been using a Shimano dyno with a Revo, love it. Added a USBwerk to the mix. Like that too, and just picked up a Fenix UC40UE that will recharge from USB, and I added a Limefuel to the mix.

I 3d printed this switch housing which will sit atop my stem on the steerer tube:

Being 3d printed for me. Switch housing to sit on the top spacer above my headset. Will take power in from the dyno and switch from charge-off-lights. by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Switch Housing v1 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Dyno Switch Housing v1 (minuteman sent me the wrong switch so I'm hoping they ship out new ones ASAP) by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Dyno Switch Housing v1 (minuteman sent me the wrong switch so I'm hoping they ship out new ones ASAP) by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Minuteman electronics sent me the wrong switches... so I have to wait to wire it up - but this is the plan:

dynoswitchschematic by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Topic Name: Hub dynamo and electronics thread. Reply #91 on: November 08, 2014, 12:23:56 PM
Wingnut

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2014, 12:23:56 PM »

Sinewave does me fine up front while out back if I want to use my BOB Ibex trailer I had my spare Dynamo hub built up in its wheel...works a treat!

Topic Name: Hub dynamo and electronics thread. Reply #92 on: November 14, 2014, 12:38:45 PM
ascar_larkinyar

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2014, 12:38:45 PM »

Thought I would post this usb splitter with separate on/off switches.   Better and faster than unplugging them.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BWF5U0M/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A29Y8OP2GPR7PE#immersive-view_1415997181827

Sabrent 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub with Individual Power Switches and LEDs (HB-UMLS

* 2014-11-14-12-32-54-1674230762.jpeg (3.1 KB, 200x200 - viewed 960 times.)

Topic Name: Hub dynamo and electronics thread. Reply #93 on: November 20, 2014, 01:10:29 PM
ascar_larkinyar

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2014, 01:10:29 PM »

May use this as a way to generate a second usb power source?

I know nothing about it other than what is written on amazon.
Works off the chain so you have to keep pedaling to make power

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A48DRNA/ref=mp_s_a_1_36?qid=1416517316&sr=8-36&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70#

* 51khCCo-2EL._SY400_.jpg (23.47 KB, 400x400 - viewed 945 times.)

Topic Name: Hub dynamo and electronics thread. Reply #94 on: November 20, 2014, 08:07:32 PM
Mista Bone

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2014, 08:07:32 PM »

Maybe if you ride a fixed gear...

I still remember my old one the ran against the sidewall of the tire, surely there has to be something better today....

Topic Name: Hub dynamo and electronics thread. Reply #95 on: November 20, 2014, 08:43:51 PM
mtntraveler

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2014, 08:43:51 PM »

bmike-vt

I like your 3D printed switch housing.  K-lite does something similar with there top-cap switch http://www.klite.com.au/#!product/prd1/1992209975/top-cap-switch. Considering getting one of these for my system.   

Topic Name: Hub dynamo and electronics thread. Reply #96 on: November 21, 2014, 03:09:28 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2014, 03:09:28 AM »

bmike-vt

I like your 3D printed switch housing.  K-lite does something similar with there top-cap switch http://www.klite.com.au/#!product/prd1/1992209975/top-cap-switch. Considering getting one of these for my system.   

Thanks for that link. Nice to see him making one. I asked him about a switch and charger back in the early spring and he didn't seem interested in providing one.

I have yet to wire mine up. My light had to go back to the UK for warranty. When I get it back I'll take another step on the project.

Topic Name: Hub dynamo and electronics thread. Reply #97 on: January 10, 2015, 02:10:12 AM
Happybiker

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2015, 02:10:12 AM »

bmike-vt I really like your switch and happen to have a friend with a 3D printer, any chance you could share the details?

I have a question regarding cache batteries, I can't find one (in the UK) that allows pass-through charging and doesn't use a button to start charging. I think Limefuels are suitable for this but can't seem to get any of the smaller ones. Looking at between 1500-6000mAh.
I've looked at Belkin, Anker, Tylt etc and none allow both. Anyone have one that does this?

Topic Name: Hub dynamo and electronics thread. Reply #98 on: January 10, 2015, 06:22:54 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2015, 06:22:54 PM »

bmike-vt I really like your switch and happen to have a friend with a 3D printer, any chance you could share the details?

I have a question regarding cache batteries, I can't find one (in the UK) that allows pass-through charging and doesn't use a button to start charging. I think Limefuels are suitable for this but can't seem to get any of the smaller ones. Looking at between 1500-6000mAh.
I've looked at Belkin, Anker, Tylt etc and none allow both. Anyone have one that does this?

I don't have the switch wired up yet. Light went back to the UK for warranty, I have it back, and have been meaning to wire everything up... but its cold and winter here now.

I have a few things I want to change. And I want to give it a go before I part with the model file. I have about 15 people asking for them... so I might do a  short run locally and send them out for some reasonable $$.

I have a LimeFuel Blast

I haven't tested it on the dyno yet (aside from plugging it in to see if it will take a charge) - but I can charge the battery and my iPhone inline on the laptop. I don't have to push any buttons, just plug it in. If I unplug it from the laptop and plug it in again (leaving the phone plugged in) - it keeps on going.

For on the bike I chose the USBWerk as it has a small cache battery in it... not that I'll charge the phone direct - but I might run the GPS from it. That little battery keeps the current flowing smoothly.

Topic Name: Hub dynamo and electronics thread. Reply #99 on: January 11, 2015, 03:48:55 AM
Happybiker

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2015, 03:48:55 AM »

I've tried to get the LimeFuel Blast but they are out of stock so will have to wait. Regarding the switch I've thought about changing the design so that the main body of it sits parallel with stem. This avoid's interference with my top tube bag as I have very few stem spacers.
  Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: