Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: How should you train for bike packing tour? on: March 03, 2013, 06:03:17 AM
flanagaj

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2013, 06:03:17 AM »

I have some great trips planned for this year, but am trying to work out how I should train for multi day 10hrs+ in the saddle trips.   I have historically always had a high heart rate and the average is around 157bpm for a 2-4hr ride.  This is my lactate threshold, but I know that I for longer back to back days I have to get this rate way down, otherwise, I know I will not complete the trip.

Is it a simple case of just increasing the mileage and time in the saddle and making sure the heart rate is way down.  And eventually my body will get used to riding for longer at a lower intensity?

I have tried riding at a slower pace and find it feels strange, especially, considering that for the last 20 years I have always just gone out and hammered it for 2-3 hours.

Would be interested to hear from any racers out there who have made the transition from short distance racing to longer endurance events and what they did to achieve their goal.

Thanks

Topic Name: How should you train for bike packing tour? Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 09:24:30 AM
ascar_larkinyar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 09:24:30 AM »

if your LT is around 157 you do not have a "high" heart rate.  my LT is 178 and my max is around 206.

best training for limited time is two interval high intensity rides during the week of fast spin or big gear push(google for how to).  this will build strength so you can ride farther without getting tired. 

and one long ride on the weekend.  concentrate on sweet spot or tempo training(google again) for 70% to 120% of your target.

Topic Name: How should you train for bike packing tour? Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 05:28:11 PM
texasjake

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 05:28:11 PM »

ride - then ride some more
then...ride some more...

Topic Name: How should you train for bike packing tour? Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 03:08:52 PM
flanagaj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 03:08:52 PM »

Some interesting tips here, but what about if I only get to cycle for 1.5hrs on a Wednesday and have the weekends too.  Can you still train for longer multi day trips?

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: